“Quality only in the name”

Cobden Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #105 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Rooms were average price but quality was certainly not in abundance. Our bathroom looked like it had its 1970's original fittings. A bathroom window actually missing making it chilly in November. Breakfast was ok, but is self service in the function room, where there had been a wedding the night before! Seemed like every stag and hen night frequent this hotel. They also made friends pay for rooms in full when we checked in.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Joanne P, Guest Relations Manager at Cobden Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review - we appreciate all feedback.

I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction, we have reported your issues to our Maintenance department and they have been rectified.

We do hope we can restore your faith in the Quality Hotel, please do contact us on 0121 454 6621 for a complementary upgrade so we can make your next stay comfortable and memorable for all the right reasons.

Quality Hotel Birmingham

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel was not clean it was noisy and dirty I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. In the room the carpet was filthy the bath panel was hanging off you couldn't have a bath because the bath plug didn't fit. If you want a shave no chance no plug in sink...good luck if you go here..

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on the Quality Hotel.

I am disappointed in learning of your dissatisfaction - please do contact us direct so that we can offer you an upgrade and make your next stay memorable for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I'm rating it as 'very good' because it's good value for money.
I stayed here for one night on my birthday (22nd nov) and it suited us just fine.
We used the hotel for easy access to broad street, and it provided this.
The room we had was basic, but it provided us with everything we needed for a one night stay.
Yes, the rooms were tired but ours was clean and that was all I was concerned with. If the room was not clean then we simply would not have stayed there.
The staff were friendly and polite and made us feel very welcome.
The pizza service is excellent, I am not exaggerating when I say that the pizza was one of the best I have ever had.

However, could do with plug points either side of double bed.
Also (and this is not the hotels fault) there were people slamming their doors at 3 in the morning and shouting down the hall ways, but I suppose this is to be expected when staying in birmingham on a friday night.

Overall, a good hotel and would stay here again if I ever needed to.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky P

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on the Quality Hotel Birmingham.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay on your birthday and found the hotel clean and good value for money.

We do apologise about the noise at 3 am - sometimes it is out of our hands the way other guests behave.

We do hope to welcome you back soon, please ring us direct for the best rates available on 0121 454 6621.
Thank you again for your lovely review.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Friends and I stayed there last weekend for a shopping trip. The location is good as it is only a few minutes from the city centre. We ate there on the Friday evening and were all very impressed with the food. An excellent choice and very well cooked. Lovely!
Breakfast was fine, if a little chaotic! There is supposed to be 24hr a day service but when I tried to order a pizza in my room at about 1pm (I was not feeling too well and didn't want to go downstairs) I could get no answer. On the Sunday morning we used the pool and checked out a little later. Again, when we asked if we could get coffee and possibly some cake at about 1pm we were told that there was no-one except the receptionist on duty so we had to go elsewhere.
On the Saturday evening we came back from dinner and went to the bar for a drink. Several people were waiting at the bar and said they'd been there for about 20 mins. They were unable to serve us until they had cashed up and changed shifts! We waited for a while then went back to our room. We were told by the group next day that they eventually got drinks, but not what they wanted due to limited stock.
The rooms are clean and quite reasonable. However, avoid 364 as it is right next to the lift shaft and was really noisy! We only had one towel each which could hardly be described as a bath towel. However, this wasn't a major problem.
The pool was nice but I did feel that the steam room and sauna were in need of a bit of tlc. The Jacuzzi has apparently been taken out.
The staff at the hotel were amazing. They couldn't do enough to help us and were friendly and welcoming at all times. Overall, I would say that you get what you pay for. It is not a 5* hotel, but then you don't pay 5* prices. I feel that considering what we paid, we had good value for money and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't have 364 as it's right by the lift shaft and very noisy! Ones overlooking the garden...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, at the Quality Hotel we take all feedback very seriously and we have discussed your issues with our staff.

We were happy to read you found the staff wonderful, here at the Quality Hotel we strive to deliver the best customer service.

We do hope that you do return to join us again.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I can see why this hotel gets mixture of reviews as it depends on the rooms you get
But the hotel is 100 percent excellent value for money if you don't mind being about 10 drive from the city centre New St /Broad St area of Birmingham

I paid £180 for 4 nights room only, My room was huge with a fantastic shower , opening window and proper radiators so i could control the heating which is a bonus

Check in was fast and efficient and the gent that checked me was excellent

Not much in the area but you have TGI Fridays and Beefeaters ( where i ate twice ) and the staff and food there were excellent and the staff lovely

There are two 24 hour shops within 5 mins walk and a tescos 15 mins away and a subway shop and a few restaurants

I didn't eat in the hotel but there seemed to be a varied menu and there were always people in the hotel bar /restaurant

Hotels has plenty of free parking which is a bonus

There is also a gym /swimming pool which although i didn't use looked nice and i will use it on my next visit

I booked in that night for a beauty treatment in the morning at the beauty salon which was excellent and i would defiantly visit again when in Birmingham

Would i return defiantly its very very good value for money at virtually less than half the price of the city centre hotels like Jurys, Holiday Inn ect

As a single woman who husband was working locally i felt perfectly safe in the hotel and the area itself
eating out several times on my own when husband was working

Only negatives are no fridge in the room and no key chain and no free internet

Those that are moaning probably expect 5 start hotels at 3 start prices The hotel is better than Ibis /.Travelodge and a lot cheaper and the staff are excellent

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Do contact us on 0121 454 6621 so that we can allocate you the best rooms and rates for your next stay.

Warm regards

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Well...
My stay at the Quality Hotel Birmingham was Disgusting, the bed sheet and towels had stains. The room door wasnt secure, breakfast was cold and terrible tasting, its was overal run down and not a pleasent stay. I will let the photo do the talking!!

Room Tip: Just dont stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adele d

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review - we appreciate all feedback.

I am saddened to read your expectations were not met - please do contact us direct so that we can restore your faith in the Quality Hotel.

Best regards

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped for the weekend with my partner and my request for a warm room with a shower and not too much distance to walk to the room was met! Warm, friendly, helpful staff at the Reception desk! Room was excellent, warm, clean, spacious. Shower was clean and perfect! Bed was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very nice, full english very filling, various juices was available as i only have apple juice. We would definitely stay there again and certainly reccomend this hotel to anyone !

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Guest,
How nice to hear your kind words!

Here at the Quality Hotel we strive to be remembered for all the right reasons by our guests, and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay.

Please make sure you contact us direct on 0121 454 6621 so that we can offer you the best rates for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon .

Warm regards