“stay at quality inn hagley road birmingham”

Cobden Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #103 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Newbury, United Kingdom
“stay at quality inn hagley road birmingham”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

i was warned that the hotel was not that good 3 weeks before i stayed there by someone who used to live in edgbaston. all i can say is for £51-00 a night with breakfast it wasnt good value for money. staff were friendly enough but my room had wallpaper damaged and damp patches on walls. toilet seat with paint flaking off it. breakfast food not great either. friends stayed 2 miles away in another hotel and their room was so much better and they only paid a few pounds more than i did. and if you take in taxis to and fro to city centre their wasnt much difference in price especially as there were good hotels close to broad st and mailbox. so if you are thinking of a break to birmingham the hotels around mailbox, brindle place etc are superior and better value for money.also i was woke up at 5-30 am by girls shouting in corridor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Joanne P, Manager at Cobden Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank You for your Comments, we do aim to provide Excellent Customer Experiance, On this occasion we have clearly missed some maintenance issues in the Room, this is something we are working hard on to correct.

If you are back in Birmingham we would like for you to stay here again, so we have the opportunity to correct any issues you had when you last stayed here....

Tom Watkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel has had poor reviews in the past. I do not know what people expect for £60 per couple including breakfast with free use of the gym/pool. Our room looked as though it had a had a refurb fairly recently. Nice carpet and flat screen tv, the bed was a standard double whereas a lot of hotels now have queen size beds upwards. Other areas f the hotel (restaurant area) could still do with a bit of work. The bar prices and minimal room service menu was very reasonably priced. The breakfast is a help yourself buffet with limited choice but has all the usual items (however no vegetarian sausage/bacon options). On the whole value for money is good. But if you are used to the Ritz do not come here, if you want basic accommodation and non fancy food with the bonus of a pool and gym close to the city centre give it a try...ask for a refurbed room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been refurbed
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank You for your comments, we do aim to provide Excellent customer experiance...

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Birmingham...

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I was worried about coming here after reading the reviews but, I found the hotel was absolutely fine and didn't see what everyone was complaining about. My room was clean and tidy with a double bed and one single. The shower room was immaculate (didn't have a bath) and there was loads of fresh towels. The staff were okay although I suppose they could have been a little friendlier as a lotof them looked miserable. Overall I would stay Here again but if you're looking for major luxury then I'd look else where but if its just to get a decent nights sleep then this is ideal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank You for your comments, we do aim to provide Excellent Customer Experiance..

Sussex
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Well, I rang at short noticee after deciding to stay (unexpectedly) in Brum. I rang up, they told me 40 odd quid, and thought oh dear.... It's gonna be poor. Anyhow, truth is, was on the motor bike.... Wet soaked through, wanted to get dry and sleep.
1. Reception check in, helpful and friendley. No complaints.
2. Roo, despite negative reviews was "alright" clean sober, nothing horrible at all, it was "alright" not Ritz alright but 40 odd quid alright. Now, alright in my books has to be, clean, quiet comfortable, few drinks of coffee clean nice bathroom!

Nothing to whinge about at all. Bathroom clearly recently "done up room 77" was perfect basic clean and sober. Room....was alright. However, come on.....40odd quid!!! Result I'm thinking. I suspect from other reviews that the Hotel has weaker rooms. Certainly some of the photos suggest this. So...... Ask for room 77, or ask for one of their refurb end rooms. Don't get me wrong, it is not "flash" but 40 odd quid.... Satisfactory. Strikes me they are trying to put right maybe things that have gone wrong?

Room Tip: Ask for room 77.... It's ok.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Thank You for your Comments, we do aim to provide a Excellent Customer Experiance...

We Look forward in having you stay again when you are back in Birmingham..

coventry, england
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Still waiting for my 50 pound 'deposit' to be returned to me. A week after checking out. I was shocked to be asked for this at reception as I feel that it was not made clear when booking through Expedia. Anyway - I complied as I didn't have much choice, although I don't know how my 50 pound 'deposit' would cover any damage to the already poor room. The floor was filthy, I made the unfortunate mistake of walking around once with no socks on, my feet covered in hair in seconds. The sink in the bathroom was broke. The wardrobe and desk also broke. Not only horrified at the state of the place - put horrified I have been a victim of theft. Give me back my 50 quid!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank toniw1000

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel in November. We wanted to visit the Birmingham German market and make a nice weekend out of it. Although we only live 20 miles away from Birmingham centre, we wanted to stay in a hotel to save driving back on the night.

After reading the reviews I must say I was a little put off about going, however I tried to stay on the positive side. The hotel itself was easy enough to find, the first impression of the hotel was nothing special, it was just decent. The staff were very friendly and held our bags for us in a store room because we arrived a few hours before we were supposed to check in. Me and my boyfriend caught the bus into the heart of Birmingham and this wasn't a problem the busses came every 5 minutes if that! After a bit of lunch we returned to the hotel and checked in, we we're given our room key and followed the directions for the room. Yeah I must admit, it wasn't a 5 star hotel but it doesn't deserve a bad review either! We found our room just fine and soon as we arrived to it, our first impression was great :) decent sized bed, nice bathroom with a shower and a TV :) the next day we went to the pool, it was WARM! Just what we wanted in the winter :D best to get to the pool early though, it started to fill up within the first half an hour it opened. They were doing some refurbishments around the pool side, I was slightly disappointed that the jacuzzi wasn't even there like it stated on the original hotel page but oh well, I could see they were building a brand new one. The hotel had a lovely steamer and sauna with an extremely friendly man on the reception desk by the pool area.

I would recommend this hotel for a cheap and cheerful night however. I wouldn't recommend it for longer than 2. It could do with some new carpets I must admit! The doors were a little loud on the night time, they could do with an anti door slamming system fitted on the top.

I'd recommend this hotel for couples looking for a cheap night in Birmingham, I wouldn't recommend it for families. It could do with a little touch up.

Room Tip: Go for the conference room!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joanne P, Reveune Manager at Cobden Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time and posting this review.
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team put all their efforts in to ensure each stay is memorable and pleasant for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Your Sincerely

Joanne Padfield
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This hotel was booked as we had a function to attend in the hotels function suite. On walking from the back entrance to the reception desk all of the painted white internal doors were filthy. Then on walking into our room I was appalled, the carpet had huge black Staines and was rotten, the double bed was two singles pushed together so it became wider than a normal double meaning that it could only fit a bedside cabinet one side and the other side had half the headboard. The mattress was stained and you could feel the springs. The bath had big brown Staines in it and the handle of the shower screen had come off so a load of mastic had been stuck onto the glass where the handle should have been. The net curtains in the bathroom looked like they had been up without ever being washed. The walls of the bed and bathroom were grubby and the room smelt musty. The hotel say to inform staff of any issues so they can sort it out but on telling the receptionist she said they did not have a different room and just shrugged. The room was definitely not worth the charge for it but my mother in laws room had obviously been refurbished and was ok. The hotel should not let out rooms that are obviously waiting to be refurbished as the stay I had has not enticed me to ever return

Room Tip: Do not accept a room that has not been refurbished yet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family