“Enjoyable stay”

Cobden Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #104 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a two night stay at this hotel on the Sunday and Monday evening. Staff were pleasant on arrival and when we asked for a room with a bath the young lady spent some time at the computer to find such a room for us. We were on the ground floor overlooking the side drive, a quiet room which is what we wanted as I am a very poor sleeper. The room was spotless and comfortable with two double beds for 3 people. Overall decoration good but the lobby was a bit tired. I wish I had taken my gym kit because the leisure facilities were free. Plenty of nearby restaurants and I used the bus service which was excellent. The Hagley Road is a well known street for hotels and is not too far from the city centre. Did not eat there, only the breakfast which was an added cost but quite an adequate one where one helped oneself to whatever was required.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had an overnight stay here recently. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Our room was clean, comfortable and decoratively good (although a friend in another room had a slightly worse room). The overall decorative state of the hotel is a little tired, but was clean.

At night we ate in the bar area as the restaurant had a stag do going on. It was fine for the money. I used the gym in the morning. Only downside here was that the gym area opens at 10 o clock but breakfast finished at 10 and we had to check out at 11. So a bit of juggling with the morning . It would be helpful if the gym opened earlier, especially as it was busy at 10. I didn't get time for a swim, however the gym area was good. The breakfast was fresh with plenty of choice which we had pre-booked for around £8.95.

The hotel is in a good location for day and night activities. It is pet friendly. I did see a few well-behaved dogs.

To sum up-it was great value for money and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pussycat_4
Reviewed 11 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I wasn't expecting a luxury experience so couldn't be disappointed. The hotel is well situated and has on site parking, wifi (charged in room) and leisure facilities. This is all important when weighing up the total cost. It's on a main drag into town and buses are frequent. There are several restaurants etc nearby if you don't want the hotel bar or the city (TGIF is next door).

Room was spacious, weird shape, as the bathroom was a strange block formed at the side of the room. It appeared clean, except for the large clump of hair under the dressing table eww. They have lifts, but the first room I was given is along many corridors and up a sharp flight of stairs. I got another room courtesy of the very helpful reception staff. The female receptionist was efficient and advised on buses, providing a map and was always cheerfully helpful no matter what time of day. Makes a real difference to your stay.

All the essentials are covered, bed comfy, shower adequate, location great, staff very helpful. I rang for more towels, less than five minutes I got a knock on the door.
Breakfast is optional and cheaper if you buy on checking in. It's the standard fare, but I've had a lot worse.
WARNING do not use the taxi service. I did and they were late, offhand and way overpriced. £10 into town!! There are lots of other firms and hackneys whizzing along Hagley Rd.

Room Tip: If you have special requirements, ask when booking, they will try to help.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

we stayed here 1/3/14...we paid £24 bed and breakfast ...
staff excellent,great fun great service at the bar couldnt do anymore for us ,the room was a little tired but so clean ,plenty of tea n coffee ,clean beds and we had problems with the tv staff came up in five mins ,sorted the rads where off after 5 mins staff came up and put rads on for us ,so please dont read these reviews with horror great location great staff great price ,breakfast was hot and staff busy ,but made room for you as soon as you walked in ,,,,we will be back thanks for a great night out in bham .

Room Tip: 145 triple room 3 single beds great space
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank berthaUk
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed on 25th February 2014
Was looking for Hotel with pool, but was little concerned after reading reviews. Was pleasantly surprised in most (but definitely not all) areas.
UPON ARRIVAL: Entrance hall not wonderful but reasonably clean and bar/dining area is in full view of everyone walking in, almost part of arrival area!
STAFF: not bad but could have been better. Didn't explain were rooms where but were quick enough to explain how to get to leisure facilities and times of opening, but failed to inform that pool was closed for the day!!!Only one member of staff in dining room in the morning and she was extremely rude (needs plenty of training). Other staff members reasonably friendly.
CORRIDORS: Rather lets the Hotel down. They were very cold. Evidence of carpets etc having been cleaned but the edges have definitely been forgotten.
ROOM: Very nice, all new: including carpets,bedding, bathroom facilities.Room very clean, bathroom all clean except for tiles down side of basin which had obviously been missed. Good size room and not much noise as on side of building. Comfortable beds. Good night sleep. Not too much noise from corridors.
BAR:Very busy and I was the only female customer. Staff member did nothing about the bad language that was being used by other residents, but in fact almost encouraged it by laughing along with them. This was uncomfortable for me as I had my son with me as he had requested he watch the match whilst having a drink
This could be a good Hotel with some more renovations and some members of staff attending training.
Was very disappointed the pool was closed without any warning,especially as when booked I specifically mentioned I was booking due to this facility.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms and/or one on the side to avoid noisy traffic.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dacory
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I felt sick with worry going here after reading reviews this week but you know what it was too bad. Yes prob over prices at £117 but that incl cadburys world tickets.....
The pros....nice breakie, lots choice, comfy bed, great location for sealife and cadburys world, nice staff, clean sheets, loads towels ( you can use at pool save your washing).
Pool, gym, jacuzzi,sauna. Food choice fab and good bar.
Cons....... Pool slimey, but warm!!! Desperately needs repairing and sprucing up. Women's changing Rooms fine boys apparently awful. Photo is extended pool isn't that big but was fine.
All walls in rooms, bar, reception etc need pairing and it would be so much better.
Windows v v v thin and if you get room on front take your earplugs cause of traffic noise.
But you know what we had day at sealife day at cadburys world a stay here and swim and felt like we'd had a little hol. No council tax in feb and march for us so put it to this little visit. I know what I rather spend my
Money on and it's not the council

• Stayed: February 2014