“Get what you pay for”

Cobden Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #105 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel twice now as it's cheaper than others in the area and is ideal for my business trips. The hotel has a very dated appearance and nothing matches, but the service is fantastic. Very friendly staff, the receptionist went out of her way to fix a booking error on my part. The bar is comfortable and affordable, again the bar staff were chatty and friendly without being overbearing.
Good location, didn't have to trawl through the city to get to it (from London) and it's only a short walk to the city centre, or short cab ride to the Harborne area.

Beds were comfy, room had everything you could need, and the bathroom was clean with plenty of towels.

Will definitely stay again, but it could do with a lick of paint.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I can’t say it was actually a quality hotel but I have stayed in worse. Food is much as you would expect from a hotel in this price range and holds a very limited variety of red wine.
The worst thing by far, is the loud TVs in the lounge and bar areas, whist you are trying to eat your dinner or just sit at the bar. When they have sport on the TV’s it is so loud that it can be heard in some of the bedrooms. The worst however, is the radio at breakfast. It was so loud that I could not read the paper. I don’t understand the staff’s obsession with the loud music and TV’s and I was not the only one by far to complain about it. If they turned down the volume of the radio and TV’s I would say it was good value for money and consider it again.

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick H
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here because it was about £10 cheaper than the next hotel on my list. I should have spent the extra £10.

I stayed in room 202 which I found after a mirage of different hall ways and steps. The room itself was very basic and bathroom very small (room for 1 person only). The bed was really old and very comfortable so if you suffer with back pain like I do you might want to avoid.
The room was clean but the whole hotel just needs some tlc and investment. When I flushed the toilet the plumbing made a lot of noise that probably woke the people next door.

Staff were fine on the front desk, nothing special.

If the people that own this place just spent some money on it it would be a lovely place to stay but when you have automatic doors that don't work, lift buttons/level indicators don't light up, paint chipped off doors, old carpets, cracked reinforced glass windows in corridors you just don't have a nice feeling when staying here.

Would much prefer a Premier Inn, Travelodge that sort of place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ed S
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Arrived early from London at 1.30pm however unfortunately was not able to check in to after 2pm. Room was a double for 2 people, however only had one towel in there which required a visit to reception for another. No water/bar in the room. Fire alarm went off around 5am then again about 6am, 7am and 8am - I understand this was due to the room door key alarm key system in each room which was easily set off when people budged on their doors. So there was little sleep had after a night out and definitely not quality. The bed was a large single or very small double. Whilst the room itself was spacious, 3 of the lights did not work and the decor has not been touched since 1970 apart from the 16 inch flat screen mounted on the wall. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NicolaBrighters
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We checked in at this hotel on a Friday afternoon- carrying a large amount of luggage. Staff were friendly upon arrival and checked in just after 2pm. Upon arrival in our room- we found the sink plug to be 'bust'. The water would not go down in the sink and the plug would not lift. Also- there was no telephone to ring reception to report this. Unconveniently,I had to go down to reception from the 5th floor to find a queue of people waiting to be checked in. This wait lasted 15 minutes- upon reporting this we were checked in another room on the same floor.

Upon checking in the second room- it was pleasant and clean and we made ourselves confortable- until I noticed the water was freezing- NO HOT WATER. For the second time - I had to report this and luckily through a telephone which existed in the room. A pleasant lady had come to fix this but reported it faulty and advised us we would have to check into another room.

The bed was very uncomforting as I could feel the bed springs poking out- it was very uncomfortable and uneasy to anybody to sleep on.

I wondered if the rooms were inspected 'properly' prior to customers checking in- this would never be the case. I have stayed with this hotel before and have never encountered such a problem. However, with the inconvenience this had caused me and my guest on this day- I am less likely to pay custom to this hotel again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lodger123
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is a shabby hotel in desperate need of modernisation. The rooms are dull dark and very brown! The bar is very unwelcoming. The breakfast was the worst I have had in years, let down by poor quality food particularly the sausages which were the cheapest nastiest cash and carry muck I have ever had the displeasure to taste. They were almost orange in colour. Tinned tomatoes, bullet beans - get the picture? Not only that we were charged £8.50 for this muck when others were being charged £5.95 at the reception desk. The real test of a poor hotel has to be that demand payment when you arrive. Yes you read that right, when you turn up they take full payment!
Never again. Big mistake in booking this hotel. Quality by name only.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a two night stay at this hotel on the Sunday and Monday evening. Staff were pleasant on arrival and when we asked for a room with a bath the young lady spent some time at the computer to find such a room for us. We were on the ground floor overlooking the side drive, a quiet room which is what we wanted as I am a very poor sleeper. The room was spotless and comfortable with two double beds for 3 people. Overall decoration good but the lobby was a bit tired. I wish I had taken my gym kit because the leisure facilities were free. Plenty of nearby restaurants and I used the bus service which was excellent. The Hagley Road is a well known street for hotels and is not too far from the city centre. Did not eat there, only the breakfast which was an added cost but quite an adequate one where one helped oneself to whatever was required.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple