Cobden Hotel Birmingham
US$73
US$70
Priceline
1,034 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked a 2 night stay commencing 23rd May 2014 via Trivago and paid in advance online. On arrival to the hotel we were greeted with a poor reception from the 2 members of staff who were dealing with check ins. I was asked to register my details and present my payment card which I did. My card was then placed within the payment machine and I was told (despite it not being included in any terms and conditions when booking) that I needed to pre authorise £50 as a security deposit. When I asked the two receptionists why this was I was told very rudely that it was because everyone did and 'Just because that's the rule'. Not being satisfied with this response I did ask to speak to the manager following my payment of this 'fee' who also could not explain why and again told me every hotel does it. Fortunately for myself and my partner neither of us have experienced this before at any hotel we have stayed at within the UK, the continent or indeed at other hotels around the world.  The manager told me it would be back within my bank by Tuesday and did offer us breakfast which were unable to take him up on.

We asked for a second key card for the room due to myself and partner having individual plans on the Saturday but were refused and again told bluntly we couldn't as 'It's the rules'. After raising this with the manager whilst discussing the pre authorisation he did sort us another key however this did not allow access into the room.

The corridor to our room had debris strewn across the floor and a large, cumbersome table blocking a door way in the centre of the corridor which I fear may have being in breach in Fire safety regulations.

Upon eventually entering the room we were met with an incredibly dated, poorly maintained room that had chipped furniture and chipboard crumbling from the many surfaces where the veneer had obviously eroded from many years use,  one of the light fittings didn't work and the cups from the tea canteen were chipped. The bathroom although clean did have dirty grouting. We also found an earring not belonging to ourselves in the corner of the room and a business card in one of the drawers. This was not the 'quality' we expected or was advertised online.  I did call down to reception to request if there was another room available but was told it was fully booked but were not offered replacement cups or the room to be inspected or indeed cleaned again.

On visiting the 'Spa' we were met with dirty, unfit for use changing rooms that had no locking facilities. The showers had used razors on the floor and it appeared stagnent water was gathering in the corners of the room. The changing rooms whilst unoccupied had two pairs of higjly soiled sandals/flipflops discarded under the sink area. Whilst the Sauna and Steam room were of a high quality the pool and jacuzzi were of poor standard. Broken tiles, rusted pipework and dirty windows were unfortunately the cleanest part of this area. The jacuzzi water had become cloudy and had scummy bubbles on the top that hadn't subsided even when it had not being used for half a hour.  The pool had floating insects and what can only be described add oil and grime on is surface.

Retreating back to the room we passed several pizza boxes in the lift lobby. We got ready for our evening plans and left again 2 hours later and again the pizza boxes remained in the lobby area.

Checking out on Sunday was an easy affair and I was assured again my money would be released with immediate effect and be in my account by Tuesday.

Arriving home I realised my charger had being left in the room so I contacted the hotel to arrange its return. House keeping had not yet cleaned the room but they did go and retrieve the charger thankfully. I was told it would be posted Tuesday at a cost of £5 plus postage and delivery which I duly agreed and thanked the staff for their time.

By Wednesday evening I had still not being called regarding payment for the delivery of the charger so I called again only to be told that it hadn't yet being sent but it would definitely be done the following day. The pre authorised money still had not being returned to my account and I had confirmation from my bank it had as yet not being released despite being told by two staff members it would be released immediately and would be in the account by Tuesday.

Thursday, again still no funds.

Friday the funds had eventually being cleared and I arranged for a neighbour to occupy my home during the day in expectation of the charger being delivered. To my disappointment it wasn't delivered.

Saturday again no delivery.

Monday again no delivery. I contacted the hotel again only to be told that they had only just posted it that afternoon and hopefully I should receive it the next day.

I contacted
Choice hotels about the issues who asked the hotel to respond to my complaint which they did bit the response I received seemed unsympathetic and despite acknowledging the problems they did nothing to try and make up for the problems we had experienced.

If you like good service, cleanliness and don't want to be ripped off then avoid here at all costs. Very poor, no quality to it.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank JessicaLouise1
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our room had a plastic bag over the smoke alarm , the room stunk of cigarettes . The sink in the bathroom soaked us every time we used the tap and there was no plug in the sink. In need of a good clean and decorate .

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I came to this hotel for a two night get away through the week just gone, when we went into the room, there were holes in the walls, and the bathroom was tiny, although in general the room was clean and tidy.
We had breakfast on our first morning and were very glad we had only booked it for one night as there was a poor choice of fried breakfast, no bowls to have cereal and the orange juice and apple juice were warm where they had been left out in jugs on a table.
We also went to look at the pool that paying hotel guests could use free of charge, just looking through the window the pool looked dirty and there was a whole in the roof where the rain water was dripping straight into the pool.
We decided to go or a quiet dink which we changed our minds after one as the bar was over run with local men/lads that had come in to watch the football and all 3 tv's within the bar had this on, it was completely packed, I ordered a coke that was completely flat but felt too uneasy to go back up to the bar due to the amount of heavily drinking men that were around.
Other than that, good points where that it is next door to a TGI Fridays, the staff where all lovely and helpful, and the hotel was quiet through the night, we were able to get a good nights sleep! Also very close to a lot of different places that are nice to visit in the days.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel after a night out on Broad Street. Not sure what to expect but reception staff and bar staff were very friendly and smiling and helpful . Room was clean and bed felt new and I had a great nights sleep after more than a few drinks which i dent normally do . No air con to speak of but it is May so weather mild any heating either way. Bathroom also looked new so happy about that too. Hallways clean and good parking round the back .
Would use and recommend this hotel as a good base for Birmingham days/nights out.

ALL HOTELS SHOULD HAVE FREE WIFI !!

Room Tip: ground floor but no A/C
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Was booked into the hotel for a conference in Birmingham. The reception staff were very friendly and the checking in process very efficient. The room was a bit tired but being at the back of the hotel was quiet. My colleague who had a room at the front of the hotel complained of traffic noise early in the morning.

At breakfast, the food was good, although we had to wait a long time for bacon to be cooked. Selection was good, need to invest in a new toaster - took 5 mins to half toast 2 slices of bread!!!!

The hotel itself needs the decor to be updated and painted but overall not bad for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel better. Front rooms suffer with traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business