“Unhelpful staff & Poor Service”

Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ranked #61 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Lets start with the positives:
Check in was easy and the rooms were clean.
the negatives:
Upon asking the receptionist for a iron and ironing board i was told that the man that brings them to your room was too busy!....no ironing board turned up that night...I had to ask again the next morning...this time it turned up!
Resturant: food was average but service was rubbish, our party stayed for the week and had a meal there for the first 3 nights but each night they forgot something, one night they forgot a meal, the next they mucked up a veggie order and the next they forgot our sides.
Overall hotel OK but service is well below par considering our party paid over 2k for the rooms that week!!!
If Ramada Encore have a training program for staff it is clear their current staff havent been on it!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 719NeilH
encorenecmgr, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to complete your posting. Please accept my apologies for the lapses in our service that you experienced. From other reviews, it can be seen that generally our staff are our greatest assett. We will however trace back to the date and the show to try and get to the bottom of how this happened.

Kind Regards,

Alison Harrison

Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We booked this hotel to save the hassle of leaving the NEC after a show we went to see as the traffic can be horrendous. We put the post code into the Sat nav and got to the NEC very easily but finding the hotel!!! They must have loads of people who find it hard to find as all the security people at the NEC have little slips of paper they give out. We eventually found the hotel after 20 minutes. Check in was a good experience. The receptionist was very friendly. We went to our room which was on the 3rd floor. The room was stark to say the least. The laminate flooring had been laid so badly that there were large gaps between the boards. Saying that the bed was comfortable, the room was warm and the bathroom spacious and clean. We had to walk through a trading estate to get the the NEC which could have been intimidating if travelling alone. All in all for the price it wasn't a bad hotel but there are much better hotels on the complex.

1  Thank WBAKate
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed for 2 nights while visiting the NEC. The hotel is in a very convenient location for both the NEC and Birmingham NEC train station. Signage to the hotel could be better, but once you find the hotel, through an industrial estate, it is only a 5 minute walk to everywhere you need to be.

The staff are very helpful and friendly. Food quality and cost reasonable. The hotel room is what you would expect, and sufficiently comfortable for a couple of nights stay.

I would stay again.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

stayed at this hotel before flying from the nearby airport had a hotel and parking package which was reasonable as we only booked the week before. Stayed after return flight which was only £10 cheaper the parking was in the hotel carpark not a distant carpark. The airport. is reached by a walk about 400m through small warehouses. which leads to steps /lift at the entrance to the NEC and station where you can get the free monorail to the airport takes 10-15 minutes all together So if possible with some airlines you can check your luggage in the day before to save queuing early morning. The hotel itself is modern the rooms are a reasonable size the beds are comfortable but we needed to ask for extra pillows, there is just hangers to use as a wardrobe the only down side was the cheap laminate floor which was parting at the joints. The bath was quite good clad in glass panelsand it has a decent size shower area. Restaurant was okay with buffet breakfast prices were usual hotel rates. Staff were friendly and efficient checkin/out was easy.

1  Thank jebro77
Reviewed 8 April 2013

perfect location for the lg arena but very hard to find as there are no signs, we arrived by train and walked around for half a hour before we relised we had to go down in a lift and then walk through the trading estate! but not far when you know where your going. once there, very nice clean hotel, room was quite large and comfortable bed had a lovely full english breakfast and the bar was open late

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We booked 7 rooms for 6 nights as we were exhibiting at the Gadget Show @ NEC, the hotel itself was typically laid out for an Encore room was comfortable if not a little small, but the window was broken ans it was freezing outside and noisy because my room faced the busy road outside, they did offer to move me but at 11:30 after a day on our stand I was ready for bed, but they did give me another duvet.
Breakfast is very good actually buffet style and plenty of it ... however there is one thing that made it all awful, made it so bad I would never step into the hotel again, well actually not one thing ... one person!

We were sat having dinner on the Thursday night and bearing in mind each night we were spending more than £400, we ordered food and some sides, food arrived but no sides we waited and waited and eventually asked the restaurant manager over and explained what had happened, he took himself off to the kitchen but never came back and told us what was happening, after about 10 mins a lovely waitress came over with our sides, by now we were totally finished our food and plates were empty, I explained that it was too late now however she could leave them or take them back to the kitchen either way because they were too late we wouldn't be paying for them, fair enough I think!
Still no one came to the table to apologise or let us know what was happening, eventually this guy the restaurant manager came over and asked us why we wouldn't pay for the side orders we told him what we'd said to the waitress and he started with a whole bunch of attitude to which I told him to 'lose the attitude' as we were being civil, he stormed off muttering some along the lines of 'I'm not putting up with this and frog marched the waitress to our table and asked her what we'd said to her and she related word for word what we'd said (poor girl was so embarrassed and scared by his actions) at this point he realised that we were indeed telling the truth and pointed a finger at me and said I will not be treated like this.
Now I'm sorry but this is a service industry and I pay your wages and we've done nothing wrong so that was like a red rag to a bull ... he set off down the restaurant and I set off after him, when I got to him I asked to speak to him, so he took me to the hotel reception where approx 12 people were queuing to check in?? strange location to do this I thought but his choice! he then started to shout at me and accuse me of being rude, the whole of reception just stopped and stared! I let him rant a complete load of nonsense then gave him some home truths about his customer service skills and attitude to customers who a) were being civil and b) had doing nothing wrong and shame on him for bringing a totally innocent and scared waitress into the matter! and walked away leaving him to be stared at by 12 astonished guests at reception.
The next day the waitress collared me in the hotel and apologised for the previous nights events, I said that it was not her fault and she shouldn't be worried she mentioned she's been scared by the whole event, bless her!

So in summary the hotel rooms are nice the reception staff are helpful but the restaurant manager (I think?) should go back to charm school and learn some manners like his compatriot Manuel in Faulty Towers!

We will not not be coming back, sorry Encore but one person has let the whole team down!

Room Tip: Get a room on the NEC side not the road side its a busy and noisy road!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

I am dissappointed that during your stay that neither myslef or the Operations Manager got the chance to speak to you about this incident.

Another guest has given us her contact details and I have called and asked her to post her side of the story as a team member would be considered biassed.

Kind Regards,

Alison Harrison
Regional General Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed 2 nights as at NEC. Only 5 mins walk to NEC. Rail and skyline to airport. Basic rooms but clean. Service was lacking friendliness, no disposable razor avail ( forgot mine) and refusal to provide ice bucket and ice for room ! Reception staff lacked pleasant communication skills. Would stay again, but only due to location. Ps. Pillows really lumpy !

• Stayed: April 2013