“Hostel or Hotel? Either way, it's full of "no's"!”

Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ranked #59 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Hostel or Hotel? Either way, it's full of "no's"!”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This is one of the oddest hotels I have ever been to.

No wireless in the rooms
No fitness center
No free diet coke refills £2 per glass!!!!!
No ironing board or iron in room
No traditional soap or shampoo in room
No washclothes
No closets in the room...that's right...no closets...?!!
No security safe
No free breakfast

Hotel is trying to be swanky and hip but with cheap linoleum flooring that is cracked in the rooms and uber cheap couches and beds in the rooms, I'd rather they take the 2nd bed out of the room (which makes no sense where it is located) and buy a darn iron! The only good thing is my conference is in the same parking lot as the hotel. Other than that, I would have stayed elsewhere. They also tout that the hotel has wireless...sure they do, just not where one would need it...like in their room!

Then the kicker of it all was I figured, cool, this new double points promotion from Wyndham will be great. Well it's only valid on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th day. So if you only stay 1 night or 5 nights you simply do not get the double points for day 1 and day 5 and so on. Totally ridiculous.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
encorenecmgr, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for posting this.

We do only advertise that the WiFi is in the public areas, although we are looking at extending this to the bedrooms.
Liquid soap, the environmentally friendly standard used in many hotels now is in pump dispensers on the wall in both the shower and the basin.
Iron and ironing boards are available on request to all of our guests and are delivered to the rooms.

Kind regards,
Alison Harrison
Regional General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked in here literally last minute after a weekend down to Birmingham went a little wrong. Needed a hotel by the Airport for a flight in the morning. The receptionist was nice and was helpful with the directions to the airport. The room was quite cold when I got in and the heater a little slow to heat up the room but once it was up to tempreature it was fine. I am not a fan of laminate wood flooring, let alone in a hotel room - its much nicer walking around on carpet - so had to keep my shoes on so my feet didnt get cold. Water pressure in shower was a little low but tempreature was fine. My side of the hotel was a little noisy with road noise in particular. From the hotel it was less than a five minute walk to the air-link monorail at the NEC/Train Station to BHX itself. Not sure I'd want to do it late at night or early morning as it is basically through an industrial estate but i'm sure many people do it. The free internet was very useful in room via the supplied Ethernet cable. No wi-fi in the rooms not even Openzone. Patchy 3G from O2 for the smartphone/iPad/tablet users. All things considered for the last minute booking, free internet and general quality of the hotel I'd recommend this hotel. I didnt have breakfast but I believe the breakfast buffet was £10.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Nottingham UK
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The hotel is about a 5-10 min walk from Birmingham International Airport and the NEC.
The rooms are a good size, clean and they have tea/coffee making facilities, and I heard very little aircraft noise during my stay. The buffet breakfast was excellent.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful.
I have stayed here several times when flying from the airport and would do so again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Cardiff
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Ramada Encore NEC while attending a concert nearby. Car park is £7 per night, and seemed to be a decent number of places. Reception area seems strangely bare - a theme followed throughout the hotel. The room we had was quite small (seemed unusually narrow) however contained everything we needed for one night - TV, air con, tea and coffee facilities. It looked like it was in need of a decent 'deep' clean - curtains looked dirty and there were marks on the wall. That being said, I did sleep really well, and wasn't disturbed by the noise of others coming back.

Breakfast is £10 and was decent and much needed. Aside from the staff at reception, who were friendly, the others seemed reluctant to acknowledge your presence. Probably wouldn't stay again - I found a recent stay at a Premier Inn miles better than here.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank welshwizard1927
Many thanks for taking the time to post your views.

Being a conversion, we do have some rooms that are not of a regular nature but do fit the Encore specification. Similarly, some Premier Inns are newer and larger than others. For concerts the one at the NEC is not within walking distance of the Arena.

I am disappointed that we are not able to see which room you stayed in and be able to trace and rectify the cleanliness issues.

Kind Regards,
Alison Harrison
Regional General Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I was staying here while attending an exhibition at The NEC. The hotel is well located, near the airport, motorways and the venue itself. Found the food to be of good quality at a decent price. The public areas and rooms are clean and staff were very helpful and friendly. The only downside was the lack of bath, after a long day on your feet a nice soak would have been good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ScubaSteve69
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Just returned from a recent stay at this great little hotel. Ideally situated a short walk from the LG Arena which was great for the concert. What we also didn't realise was the train station a short walk behind which takes you directly into New Street station, great for a bit of shopping at the Bullring shopping centre!

The rooms were air conditioned and very comfortable. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and the shower was great. The only slight issue I had was there was only 1 pillow per person. There was the option however to call housekeeping who would send up extra if needed. By the time we had realised this it was too late and it was going to take 45 mins for the pillows to arrive.

After a good nights sleep we headed down for breakfast. A great selection and it was delicious.

The staff were always friendly and helpful at all times which is why I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Overall the hotel was fantastic, would recommend to anyone wanting a place to stay for a concert or a visit to Birmingham City Centre.

• Stayed April 2013
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We arrived to check in around 12pm but were told we couldn't check in until 2.30pm which was fine, so we left our bags at reception which were kept safe until we arrived back around 5pm to check back in.

The hotel is easy to get to, not far from the NEC and inside is very clean.

On arriving in my room I was impressed with the space and the bathroom was lovely. I went to wash my hands and the soap dispenser was attached to the wall, however when I pushed down to get some out it fell off... :|

When I went to get into bed later I discovered that all my four pilllows had the conistency of porridge/cottage cheese, i.e they were lumpy. So I picked the least lumpy and slept on that. I must say it was a comfy room and considering we were near a road I didn't notice.

However when it got to 7am there were maybe doors slamming down the corridor which woke me up and meant I couldn't get back to sleep. Whilst laying in bed I heard a knock on the door but thought it couldn't be my door. Then when I went to get in the shower at 8am there was another knock and I looked through the door and it was the cleaner! Why would they need to be in this early when I wasn't even up and ready!

Breakfast was average, there was a full english and continental. The toaster however seemed broken and the pastries were hard.

Anyways after all my moaning and groaning the room is very decent and I probably would reccomend it to anyone going to visit the NEC. It is cheaper than some of the other hotels and a very decent standard.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business