“Dirty, tired and poor service”

Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ranked #61 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Chester, United Kingdom
“Dirty, tired and poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

It seems I am difficult to please, or so I was led to believe. However, on this occasion I urge you to check out my pictures of this filthy, broken, drain-blocked, smelly hotel. It was, simply, awful! The swirling back-wash of white, creamy substance coming out of the sink drain reminded me of a place I stayed in India 10 years ago!

The hairs stuck all over the shower cubicle made for a very unpleasant morning, as was the grotty growth climbing up the sealant from floor level.

What made it worse was the very unhelpful welcome we received. My reservation included car parking but they wouldn't have it. In the end I just paid the £7 but then received a call to my room from the duty manager suggesting I was a liar and my booking never had parking included. I have since found the original voucher and...hey presto..."Onsite Parking: Free".

I'm afraid this is a hotel to avoid with haste. It might be cheap and cheerful but there are plenty of other options at the NEC. I suppose the only good thing I can really say about it was the....erm....nope...there really wasn't a good thing!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Judith G, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
I was truly disappointed to receive your review. The vast majority of our guests do leave us very much enjoying their stay at Ramada Encore NEC. I apologise sincerely that your expectations were not met on this occasion.
We would have liked the opportunity to resolve the issues you were having with your room during your stay.
Thank you for your feedback but please be assured this is not in any way our normal standards of cleanliness or service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Used the hotel after a flight. Very good value for money with 8 days parking prior to flight included. Staff greeted us politely and were efficient. Used bar same experience. Hotel is clean, practical and comfortable and what you would expect for the price. Excellent location for the airport or NEC and would recommend for a 1 night stopover.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great review of our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Upon arrival we where greeted with a half-hearted welcome and introduction. Like with most of the staff we encountered at this hotel they seemed bored to be there and didn't really care about weather or not we enjoyed our stay (checkout was without words and just a nod to say OK we didn't owe anything)

We booked a double room and was given a triple so the room size was large with everything we needed in it. Our room was not next to any other room so there was little noise. It was a bit odd that they only gave us two tea bags though I felt a little limited to one tea per day each! Everything was fine with the room but the bed was very hard, on the second night we actually padded the mattress up by using the extra duvet from the third bed underneath us but overall room was clean and pleasant.

We did not have the breakfast included in the price so we went and paid for the buffet one morning. We went half an hour before it was due to finish and there was plenty of hot food left but limited variety but we did have to wait for the 'waiters' to bring out more. The cold buffet was literally bare, there where no pastries left, only kids cereals and no milk to use for cereals either - I ended up using what as left in the jug used at the tea and coffee machine (which also I could find sugar for my tea!) Needless to say I would not recommend paying the £10 per person price for this!

They also charged us extra for parking (£7 per day) which I did not feel necessary, they could have just incorporated this into the price of the room .

So overall a very average hotel, it was close to the NEC which is why we where there. Although I do feel with paying for the extras (parking and breakfast) I could have just used the money to stay in a better hotel.

After our stay I actually realised that they had charged us twice for our room, im not sure exactly why this happened and I am awaiting a refund.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
We pride ourselves on giving excellent customer service at Ramada Encore and am truly sorry that this was not the case on your arrival.
The price of breakfast and car parking is very competitive for the local Hotels in the area.
I trust that the suspected overcharge has been dealt with promptly for you. Unfortunately, I don't have enough information from your review to confirm this account. Thank you very much for your comments.
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We had an early flight so decided to stay near the airport the night before. We found a great deal on the room but they could not sort the parking with the special rate so we booked a meet and greet for the following morning. We received a warm welcome and the room was exactly as you would expect from a Ramada, we could have been anywhere in the world. The room was clean and comfortable and had all the facilities you would expect for a hotel of this standing. I would not stay there for a holiday but it is ideal for a stopover for the airport or the NEC.

Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed here 29th August 13 for 1 night (flying out of BHX on 30th) price included 11 nights car parking, This worked out cheaper than parking in the airport. Waited a while before being checked in - some sort of issue with the booking of a couple in front of us. Room ok, bed ok, shower room fine. We had an evening meal in the hotel - not so good, overpriced and not the best quality. We walked to the monorail that took us into the airport, pleasant enough stroll along the main road, only took us 5 minutes but we wouldn't fancy doing same if it was raining. We fly next Sep out of BHX and would stay here again providing the price was right but would not eat here again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Your review is very much appreciated. We will definitely consider your feedback when changing the menu in the near future. See you next year!
Crawley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a quiet Sunday night prior to a business appointment the next morning. No issues parking although £7 per night seems a bit steep.

Location is great for local businesses, NEC and the airport, which is so close that you can sit outside and inhale the kerosene fumes.

Talking of bad smells, my room stank of damp. I think the shower had leaked or was still leaking judging by the warped laminate flooring which caused the door to stick. I didn't mention this to reception because I had zero confidence in the guy who checked me in and, after an hour or so, my nose got used to it.

However, I realised that overnight everything I had brought with me had taken on an unpleasant smell. In general the hotel was a little tired and shabby looking.

I tried the bar and restaurant/lounge, which is in reality one large, soulless through area, which was staffed by a guy so stereotypically miserable, he could have been from central casting.

The in house food offering was poor. Quite a small choice of uninspiring dishes, inexpertly reheated. My pasta was stuck together, chicken as tough as old boots and the ice cream dessert was served half in, and half out of the bowl. Not cheap either.

The quality of the staff improved the next morning and breakfast was actually quite nice, but by this time I'd had enough.

A great location, but the budget hotel market is closely faught and other places do it much better. Avoid.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank inspec71
Thank you for your comments, they are invaluable to us to improve our service standards. I am very sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.
We would very much have liked to be given the opportunity to change your room immediately on hearing there was a problem with the shower drain.
We pride ourselves on giving excellent customer service and apologise again that your experience was not up to the standard we both expect.
The menu is constantly under review and we will consider your feedback during the next menu change.
We hope you will visit us in the future so we can restore your faith in us and meet your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Vellinge, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

A hotel very near the National exhibiton centre, NEC (5 minutes walk).
Really close to trains that take you direct into central Birmingham (10 minutes).
No pub in the house, but an ok restaurang.
Breakfast was nice, rooms are ok.
It is "almost" walking distance, 5 minutes by taxi, from airport.
Please walk over the The little owl, 20 minutes walk. A very nice country pub.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel. The NEC, Birmingham Airport and Birmingham International Railway Station is very short distance which our guests do find very convenient.