“Poor quality for an expensive overnight stay”

Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ranked #61 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed at the Ramada before an event in the NEC.

Room was expensive at £130 with a further £7 to park.

I didn't expect a lot and it failed to meet my low expectations. The room was a decent size but I was left very disappointed with a number of things:

- Laminate floors
- Poor quality furniture
- Expensive Wi-Fi
- Really small box TV in the corner with poor reception and limited channels
- Ikea low slung bed!
- Combined with a horrible limp duvet which doesn't fit the duvet sheet and the worst lumpy pillows I've ever used
- Very poor lights throughout - little LED reading type things which looked awful
- Strange sockets which wouldn't take my phone charger
- Postcode on the website doesn't take you direct to the hotel

All in all I felt as though I had just arrived at uni again and been given the keys to my room. The only redeeming factor was the food, which I enjoyed. Thai currys was authentic, spicy and tasted lovely.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, there's lots of hotel in the area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DJWCheshire
Judith G, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, they are very much appreciated and are invaluable to us to improve our standards. We offer free WIFI in our hub (restaurant and bar area) and a free wired internet connection in all our bedrooms.
Our pillows and duvets are replaced on a regular basis but I apologise if they were not to the standard we both expect and gave you an uncomfortable night.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed the restaurant experience and will feedback your comments to the chef regarding the Thai Green Curry (a favourite dish on our menu for our guests).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,490)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here on a discount voucher, 2 nights with dinner, B&B. Notwithstanding, the service was excellent, friendly and supportive. Dinner was (mostly) good, although the chef's sauces were too sweet and plentiful. Breakfast was varied and copious, although the fried eggs had stood too long. The room was sufficient, though noise could be heard from the nearby airport and road, despite the double-glazing. If we are in the area again, we would certainly stay there -hopefully with another discount voucher!

Room Tip: rooms looking over the car-park are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

We very much appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night before flying off to Jamaica with my partner. All I can say is thank heavens it was only for one night! The hotel itself is nice, rooms are very worn and not exactly clean. The staff however are ignorant unhelpful and very rude. In particular a receptionist called sarah in sure it was. She was so rude and unhelpful it was a disgrace to the hotel. When we were checked in the young man behind the desk looked like he didnt want to be there atall. He never explaned anything to us he took my credit card for full payment on arrival (strange) we were given our room card and a fier pointed to the lift and told floor one. Whatever happened to service with a smile? I work in a 5 star hotel and I treated a guest the way I was in this hotel I would certainly be given my marching orders. Before bed we took a walk to reception to ask the Blonde receptionist I think I said her name was sarah we asked how long it woukd take to get to the airport and what would be the best way of going about it as we had an early flight to catch. We were rudely told you dont need to know just now you will be told in the morning . To sum things up I will never stay here again and never recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank littlesparrow8

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us. We are extremely disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your visit. I will write to you personally as we need to investigate further your comments regarding customer service. We strive to provide excellent service to all our guests and unreservedly apologise that this was not met during your stay.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed at the end of the holiday due to a late flight and paid £27 - excellent value, the Crowne Plaza would have charged £117 which was more than we paid for the overnight stay including 8 nights car park at the beginning of our holiday, the room and bathroom were very clean, it was ideal for a good nights sleep before driving home.
As it was night time we chose a taxi rather than to walk through the NEC estate, ten pounds -quite steep for the length of the journey. We walked back to the Crowne Plaza to collect the car the following morning and would not recommend walking to the airport from the Ramada if you have luggage or at night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, it is very much appreciated and hope to see you again when travelling from Birmingham Airport.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We booked in with no problems, went to the room and to be honest it was ok but we were led to believe there was wifi in the bedroom when there was not,we'll if you took a laptop there was. Asked for more coffee and sugar only to be told they hadn't got Ny more, although a waitress poured out a cup of milk for me. My question is why do they only supply full fat milk in the rooms and give you no other choice.
Bed was extremely uncomfortable and pillows were lumpy and so wasn't happy when we woke up this morning.
Basically premier Inn is of a similar price and so much better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angelbuff6

We serve semi skimmed milk in the restaurant and this is what would have been poured for you. We also provide soya milk for any lactose intolerant gusts who stay with us.
Pillows are purchased on a regular basis to ensure good standards are met. I am sorry that you found them to be lumpy during your stay but will feedback your points to our housekeeper to ensure any substandard pillows are disposed of. Thank you for your review and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Best bits
Near to NEC
All staff were very nice and polite and had a smile
Breakfasts very good
Bed very comfortable and clean

Not so good
Shower had missing grout on floor
price way above .. first night 117 2nd night (same room etc) 189.00

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We have a rolling maintenance programme to regrout the shower areas but apologise that the room you stayed in had missing grout in the floor tiles. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Visiting the NEC, this was a reasonable priced option for an overnight stay.
Check in was quick and my request for quiet room at the back was
granted.
Our room was basic, 1double and 1 single bed ( although just booked a double ) hanging space, no wardrobes. Reasonable sized bathroom with large shower area , clean towels and cumfy bed. No internet connection only on ground floor.
The thing that made this place for us was the warm welcome and amazing service we were given in the bar and restaurant. The staff are friendly and polite and nothing seemed too much for them.
All were under the supervision of Jeremy , such a welcome change to find a guy like him who had time for a chat and a laugh but was totally on the ball and kept his staff running this place to a high standard. Our meal and drinks were fine, the menu was quite interesting not full of stodge but healthier options including noodles, duck and hoi sing sauce and Thai veg rice with chilli and chicken. England won so hubbie was pleased. There was a fire alarm incident which had staff running upstairs to one of the rooms, turned out to be a false alarm .
A pleasant stay......thank you

• Stayed: October 2013

We are all pleased you had a pleasant stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Jeremy. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.