“Good from far, but far from good”

Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Ranked #61 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Johnstown, Canada
“Good from far, but far from good”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Let's begin with the positives. The location is fabulous if you are attending an event at the NEC, which I was, the rooms are clean and reasonably spacious and well priced.

So on the surface, when you first arrive everything looks good, however, it is the little things that really take away from this hotel. For example:

- there are no tissues (Kleenex) in the room
- when you run the hot water you get a loud moaning kind of sound coming from the plumbing. When someone in another room runs the water you get the loud moaning in your room as well waking you up at 4:00am
- there is no bar of soap or bottle of shampoo. Instead they have wall mounted dispensers. You know, the kind that you pump and pump and get very little soap on your hands and that drip onto the counter.
- same thing in the shower, only a dispenser on the wall that holds what apparently is both body wash and shampoo, although I will say the shower itself was quite good
- the TV is only about 12" not that it matters since they only provide nine viewing channels
- When we first arrived we went to the bar where there was no bartender. After waiting for 10 minutes we went to the front desk to inquire as to where the bartender was. They sent out a search party and finally located someone who could at least serve us a beer.

Finally, but most importantly, there is no WIFI in the rooms. I really don't understand how a hotel that caters to business travelers could not have WIFI in the room. They have Internet but if you are like me and your computer only connects through WIFI having a wire dangling from the wall does not help me. So you end up having to go down to the lobby to get mail, etc...

It's really unfortunate because all of these negatives are really easy to fix and would make this hotel quite a nice one but unfortunately I won't be back to find out if they have fixed them.

2 Thank Gerry L
Alison H, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We very much appreciate your time in posting your review.

Please accept our apologies regarding the bar service on your arrival

As with most hotels we adhere to a green policy that encourages the use of soap dispensers to avoid unnecessary waste.

We are looking at options to include WIFI in all bedrooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here Friday 8th November whilst seeing a billy Joel concert. the hotel itself is great, good location being only a short 10 minute walk from the LG arena and has good parking at £7 per day. The room we had was very good, pleanty of room, great wet room and bathroom, very clean and well appointed. Breakfast in the morning, a buffet affair with fried breakfast and cereals etc was excellent. All in all, good service, pleasant staff, good room and excellent value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your complimentary review. We appreciate your time and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago with my girlfriend, few minutes walk away from the lg arena which was great! Room was sparkly clean and comfortable :) Lighting in the room was a bit dodgy though, reminded me of a kebab house. Staff were all lovely, helpful and the bar staff were a good laugh. Bit of a shame about the blonde lady who greeted us on reception when we arrived, came across very rude and really let the team down. Breakfast was well worth the £10, amazing! Overall this hotel was good value for money, exceeded expectations and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
Judith G, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
We look forward to seeing you in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel
Ripley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I am naturally a positive person, If you look at my other reviews you will see they are extremely complimentary and I naturally look for the good things. However even I am left wanting by this poor hotel.

First impressions from the website are of a modern, light, well run hotel that shouts about it's free wifi.

The reality is a poorly finished, low quality hotel that doesn't stack up.

The bed I stayed in was very old, you could feel the springs underneath and they were uneven. The bathroom wasn't clean and even the soap dispenser did not work.

My biggest frustration was that the water pressure is so high in the hotel that when another guest tries to use the sink a high pitched squeel echo's throughout the building, it's so loud they must know about it, yet chose to do nothing. I stayed in room 219.

The room rates are high, and they have the audacity to charge your £7 parking on top.

The staff I spoke to where very friendly. But I only spoke on checking in and out.

I was so unhappy with my two nights sleep I didn't even risk breakfast at the hotel.

I won't be returning and next year will chose a different hotel when I am at the NEC.

1 Thank Mystikal
Thank you for your comments. Our contracted engineers are currently investigating the problem of the pipes making a noise, this happens on rare occasions and apologise if this caused you disturbance during your stay.
The £7 parking is very competitive for the local hotels in the area and all hotels at the NEC do charge for this service.
Thank you again for your feedback and I am pleased you found our reception staff to be friendly, I will pass this on to them as we pride ourselves on giving excellent customer service.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed at the Encore on Friday 8th November. We paid £122.00 for bed and breakfast plus £7.00 for parking. For the cost, we were expecting something quite luxurious. We were disappointed. Set in one of the less salubrious parts of the industrial estate which is the NEC, the hotel is a dire 15 minutes walk away from the LG Arena though various lorry parks and warehousing areas. The hotel is bland and our room was totally characterless. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable but these are the only positive things we could find. The floor is vinyl, not carpeted. The low level lighting and quirky bedside lights, far from providing any ambience, simply made the room look drab and gloomy and overall it was poorly lit and I couldn't see to read. The shower/wet room had glass walls and a slate tiled floor. There was a step up into the shower area. There were no handrails to assist with the step and nothing to hold onto once in the shower, nor was there anywhere to put the soap, so we had to put it on the floor. The buffet style cooked breakfast was okay but nothing to get excited about. Last time we went to the LG Arena we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Yardley. The room was nicer and and at around £50 p.n. with free parking it was much better value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it is very much appreciated. We are very close to the NEC which is a huge selling point of the hotel, this does mean however we are close to NEC facilities and services which you pointed out. Although the area does have a scenic route this would take you the long way around to access the LG arena but would take longer to walk to. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.
Cheshire UK
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed at the Ramada before an event in the NEC.

Room was expensive at £130 with a further £7 to park.

I didn't expect a lot and it failed to meet my low expectations. The room was a decent size but I was left very disappointed with a number of things:

- Laminate floors
- Poor quality furniture
- Expensive Wi-Fi
- Really small box TV in the corner with poor reception and limited channels
- Ikea low slung bed!
- Combined with a horrible limp duvet which doesn't fit the duvet sheet and the worst lumpy pillows I've ever used
- Very poor lights throughout - little LED reading type things which looked awful
- Strange sockets which wouldn't take my phone charger
- Postcode on the website doesn't take you direct to the hotel

All in all I felt as though I had just arrived at uni again and been given the keys to my room. The only redeeming factor was the food, which I enjoyed. Thai currys was authentic, spicy and tasted lovely.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, there's lots of hotel in the area.
1 Thank DJWCheshire
Judith G, General Manager at Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, they are very much appreciated and are invaluable to us to improve our standards. We offer free WIFI in our hub (restaurant and bar area) and a free wired internet connection in all our bedrooms.
Our pillows and duvets are replaced on a regular basis but I apologise if they were not to the standard we both expect and gave you an uncomfortable night.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed the restaurant experience and will feedback your comments to the chef regarding the Thai Green Curry (a favourite dish on our menu for our guests).
Stotfold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here on a discount voucher, 2 nights with dinner, B&B. Notwithstanding, the service was excellent, friendly and supportive. Dinner was (mostly) good, although the chef's sauces were too sweet and plentiful. Breakfast was varied and copious, although the fried eggs had stood too long. The room was sufficient, though noise could be heard from the nearby airport and road, despite the double-glazing. If we are in the area again, we would certainly stay there -hopefully with another discount voucher!

Room Tip: rooms looking over the car-park are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We very much appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.