“excellent food”

Ranked #1,615 of 2,346 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2014

can always find the table for my preference, staff are attentive and food came out quickly. Has a good atmosphere

CHURCH25, Manager at Church Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. we hope to see you again soon.
Rachael & Team

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I really cannot fault this establishment. Immaculate at all times. Even though we are very fussy with our food order it is always cooked to perfection. I have never known a more friendly and professional group of staff. Excellent for familys too. Try it out if in the area.

1  Thank millie a

Thank you for taking to time to write such a lovely review. I will pass on your comments to the team.

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

If a chef can't cook a burger should they really work in a kitchen?
Dry, crunchy and burnt not a pleasant experience. Could not recommend based on the experience.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Absolutely spoiled my birthday party. Two of my guests were served cheap catfish ( in batter) which was slimey and inedible...it tasted raw. The rest of my party agreed, after tasting, that they couldn't eat it. At first the manager said it was Pangasius and not cod; it WAS cooked and was supposed to be slimey. The mushy peas served with it were stone cold too, whilst chips served to a toddler as a 'kids meal' were too hot for an adult to even touch! After repeating our complaint three times to different members of staff the meals were removed with the offer of replacement which would take over 20 minutes to do (on top of the in excess of 30 we had already waited -not an option for my two guests who were totally nauseated and annoyed).
I was not charged for these two meals but two of my guests had to watch the rest of us eating with no food themselves. So, although my meal was edible, it was spoiled by this mismanagement.
Read reviews on this cheap imported fish ( Pangasius ) and the horrifying repercussions that can ensue on eating it!

Worrying point 1 : the fish provided tonight were not the same as those we ate 4 weeks ago on a Sunday...are they ripping off the Saturday night clientele by providing cheaper fish at the same prices?

Worrying point 2 : the fish meals do not appear on my bill yet other items which were discounted in an attempt to pacify me did appear along with their removal at the end. Will management ever know?

I saw other plates of untouched food being returned to the kitchen.

Worrying point 3 : the staff are well trained in courtesy which seems great at first, but as soon as there is a problem their words are shown up as superficial, empty and worthless.
Suffice it to say I will not be visiting the Church Tavern again -nor will I ever recommend it to anyone.

I wish I had read reviews on here first as I have seen another complaint about about raw fish being served.

The problem has obviously NOT been resolved with training.

recommending it to anyone.

1  Thank amen98
Grant T, Manager at Church Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Amen98

Thank you for your comments. My Name is Grant Tickell I am one of the deputies here @thechurchtavern and the manager on duty during your visit. Unfortunately I can only agree and apologise somewhat as you have provided some false information in your review.

But first let me apologise for the fact that your mushy peas were cold, had this been the only issue we would have exchanged straight away without delay.

With regards to the children’s meal, i.e. the hot chips, im sure you can appreciate that not all children who eat off the menu are toddlers, because of this all meals we serve and served hot and fresh. If we had the served the chips to you luke warm, they would have been cold within a couple of minutes leading to the child leaving them and a possible complaint regarding this matter from yourself.

I would now like to review your response on the fish. You have stated that the fish served to you was a Pangasius. This word is polish for a species of shark catfish. the long winded name for the Panga we serve is Pterogymnus laniarius. This is verified by Wikipedia and also has reference to the fish you stated in your review and confirms my comments. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panga ). We as a company are not in any wrong by serving Panga nor do we promote that we serve cod, and we will happily explain to any customers what fish we serve, this i did mention also on Saturday night. I would also like to add that this fish we have served has been the same throughout my working life within the company (4 years) and definitely was the same when you dined on your pervious visit.

Unfortunately on the evening you dined it was the weekend of mother’s day, although we had extra staff working we were busier then expected. Sadly this did have an affect on our food service times and with regards to the replacement meals, that would have been the quickest we could serve them, its not ideal but i always try and ensure all customers are fed because that is what you visited for, however you did politely decline, it is at this moment i had decided to make sure your desserts were complimentary as a gesture of goodwill even though you did not request this.

Finally with regards to your bill. Only management can alter or deduct products and or money from a bill. Since i was the only management member on duty that evening i can assure you i was aware of the changes.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review and please feel free to contact me if you have any queries with regards to my response 01213564389

Grant Tickell
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 8 March 2014

we went a few weeks ago - food was nice - service good - then took our children into the play area - it was expensive to take them in - i think 3 pound each - there was a kids party going on - one of the kids dads decided to go in the play area and slid down the slide and knocked a little girl flying - the little girls dad went completely mad and started shouting, swearing and threatening this man - it frightened all the kids and us, we left ! - what i couldn't understand was why the men who had completly ruined the party and our kids fun weren't thrown out- wouldnt go again!!!!