“Great B&B option in Birmingham”

Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke
Ranked #2 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We found this on Centre on Tripadvisor and I was a bit wary as we are not Quakers, BUT the staff and friends could not have been more welcoming or helpful. We asked for quiet rooms and were accommodated in Holland House - well away from the busy Bristol Road. It was truly peaceful and the gardens are so beautiful. Rooms are extremely comfortable, and the breakfast was better than expected with a good selection of cooked, pastries, cereals, fruit etc. Will definitely return and next time try the evening meal, which sounds great value.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Gilliantomlinson
AmandaSmart, Marketing Officer at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and experienced the welcoming, peaceful and comfortable service which we strive to provide. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I found out about Woodbrooke through contacts at work. The place is delightful and was excellent for an all age family re-union. Gardens for parents to walk about in, library and music room. Football, guitar, rowing boat, badminton and croquet for the the teenagers. We were disappointed we didn't find the camp fire area until the day we left nor the sitting room serving the block we were in. Oh forgot to mention swing for grown ups. Brilliant. we spent the time doing our own things and then playing games. And the free wifi for when the teenagers got bored with talking to us.

I had thought that the no-alcohol policy would have cast a bit of damper but in the end it didn't bother us. We spent more time with each other being more active than we would have been if we had all been drinking.

Meals were self service, refectory style but there were eight of us so it didn't really bother us. The homegrown veg was wonderful but what made it for my mum was the home made biscuits mid day and home made cake mid afternoon.

The young couple in the group were wowed by getting a) the largest bedroom and b) the one that Ghandi had stayed in. Everyone piled back there to watch Match of the Day.

We all wanted to come back again in the autumn when the grounds would look just stunning.

I think this is an excellent family venue. I was not disappointed. The new plans for an extension look interesting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sevif

We are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us at Woodbrooke and that our facilities served all your needs. We are also glad that you saw the benefits from our no alcohol policy and enjoyed the meals and tea time treats from our kitchen. We hope that you do return in Autumn, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Woodbrooke.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We have wanted to visit Woodbrooke for many years (as Quakers, we are familiar with its programs), so decided to spend our last nights of a long around-the-world journey there for a private retreat on a lovely few days in July.

We got to Woodbrooke by means of plane, train and bus--and found it very easy to be dropped off right at the gate by an inexpensive public bus. The staff had made careful advance preparations with us online, and our room was large and beautiful--even a bit luxurious, something we didn't expect--in the 1830s main house. The food was plentiful and healthy, with herbs and some vegetables coming from their own walled kitchen garden. There was a yoga retreat happening at the same time we were there, which meant there were a lot of vegetarians on site, but we were offered meat options at meals as well. We never missed tea times!

It was the gardens, woods, and grounds that pleased us the most--as well as a quiet, well-stocked library that was a real retreat for me after months of travel and mostly on-line reading. We walked the labyrinth, walked the trails, studied the well-marked gardens and woods, and in general, unwound after months of steady travel. After ony a couple of days, we felt rested and restored.

The staff was extraordinarily helpful; we needed to make a private phone call to a friend in the States we had learned was dying and, to accomodate my hearing loss, the staff set us up in an office equipped with a good-volume phone and a phone card for inexpensive overseas calls--a rare and lovely act in a busy world. We can't imagine having been anywhere else at that particular, difficult time.

We hope to return to stay for a retreat or program one day.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LongTimeTraveler_11
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I have been before and loved the peace and tranquility of the 10 acre site. I was pleasantly surprised to note that all of my previous suggestions had been actioned. The food was outstanding and boy am I picky. They obviously want feedback and take any suggestions seriously. I noticed a lot of refinements and improvements. I thought it was great last time I visited but it was even better this time. If you are a gardener this is the place for you. The gardens and woods are a treat. You can take the rowing boat out on the lake. Take time to calm down and walk the labyrinth. I found all the staff to be so helpful and friendly. I have already booked to go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the labyrinth and lake
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank patriciadyson
Reviewed 30 April 2011

This is a wonderful place to stay if you want excellent value, and a tranquil setting. The large grounds are stunning, including kitchen garden, lake, wildlife areas and smooth lawns. The bedrooms are quite spacious, clean and comfortable. No TV or radio in the room but there are TV rooms and free wifi. The bathroom I had was fine but a bit small, so if you have mobility difficulties probably worth asking for one of the bigger bathrooms. The food is delicious - some grown on site - huge range, buffet style so no limitations on numbers of portions(!) and really tasty. Everyone is very friendly, but are less gushy than you might be used to - there is no spin or excitement here, so be prepared for an understated, though warm, welcome.

Room Tip: About 20 min bus ride from city centre.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank katestreatham
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I felt compelled to write a review as just out of interest I read the reviews here and the last was so different from my own experience! I didn't check in out of hours but was aware that it wasn't a hotel - I think I'm used to B&Bs where you need to give an idea of arrival and this is v. clear on website.
I think Woodbrook lives up to what it says and I thought the room was comfortable and location perfect to get to my very early meeting in the city centre. I found the volunteers to be pleasant people and staff were excellent. Highliy recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael474
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I have to say that on a different day, we might have had a better experience but the place has got a lot to improve:
1. Breakfast regimental- only served from 745-830am on weekdays and 8-9am on weekends. Staff start clearing out the food, 15 mins in advance, though have to say they did bring them back out when we asked. But would have been nicer if we didn't have to ask.
2. Check out by 930am!. This is a bit too harsh especially if someone has come for a relaxing holiday. This is not the military
3. No shower gel/shampoo in the shower.
4. Room serviced only once a week!

All the above are probably fine if you are religious and have come for one of their courses. But if you are using the place as a B&B, be prepared to be disappointed.

This apart the place was quiet and free parking and wifi was a bonus. Rooms were neat/clean with freeview TV.

We however has a terrible experience on the day we arrived. We were driving from far away and arrived at 11pm, to see the doors shut. Fair enough I should have called, but even if I did there would have been no one to answer as the reception closes apparently quite early (around 6-7pm). There was a mobile number displayed on the door and was directed to call on the mobile (would have been better if I had this info in my confirmatory email or on the website!).

A grumpy old man (apparently a 'friend' staying overnight- who is basically a volunteer) opened the doors to let us in. He grudgingly checked us in and took us to our room. I was apologetic for being late but my apology wasn't even acknowledged.

After we went to our room, we were a bit anxious that the room was a bit cold and had to call the guy on his mobile after 5 mins (before he drifted back to sleep) to enquire. He told us off and told us in no uncertain terms that 'this was not a 24 hr room service and he was not a bell boy!!'. That really spoilt the night for us and we in fact wanted to check out straight away (hadn't it been so late at night!). The manager was quite apologetic the next day, but unfortunately the damage was done!

Anyway I hope this is an odd occurrence but the management need to have more instructions on their website or in their welcome emails. It is quite cheeky not to display their breakfast and check in/out times on the website and only display them in the rooms!! Moreover, there is also no point having the mobile number and reception operating hours only on the front door!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sasi_Attili
LVizor, Marketing Assistant at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2011

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Woodbrooke. We take all comments seriously and are making immediate changes to improve our service.

As a priority, we are looking at how to improve our communications and have already put the welcome information on our website. We have extended our breakfast times to 7.45am – 9am and are looking at whether we can accommodation a later check out time for B&B guests.

We are a charity and do rely on volunteers to staff our services overnight. We do ensure all volunteers receive training and many visitors remark on how welcoming and friendly they are so we are really sorry this was not your experience. We will be looking at whether our training processes for volunteers can be improved.

Please accept our apologies and we hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.