“Peaceful stunning gardens and comfortable rooms.”

Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke
Ranked #2 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Cambridge, UK
“Peaceful stunning gardens and comfortable rooms.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed for one night in September 2013..
We were stunned by the gardens which are completely beautiful and even have woodland walks.
We also loved the simplicity of the rooms which had everything we needed such as comfortable clean beds with cotton bedding, kettle with tea, coffee and hot chocolate and most importantly peace and quiet.
We had an ensuite room which although quite small and compact was fine for us.
My brother also stayed but wanted different things to us and so was disappointed with the lack of TV and radio in the rooms, but this is precisely why I liked it.
So if you want a hotel or B&B with noise, bustle and lots of technology this may not be for you.
But if you want a break from all of that and be in a place which helps you switch off and live a simpler life in beautiful surroundings then this is perfect.
I would definitely stay again.
One small issue was the games room (pool table and table tennis table which is written about in the literature in the rooms) which is in the basement and I suspect isn't used very much as it really needs a bit of TLC. I didn't mind but my brother wanted to use it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Holland house which overlooks the gardens and would recommend these.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Nigel M, Public Relations Manager at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review – I am delighted that you enjoyed the gardens and the peace and quiet of Woodbrooke. I hope that your brother still had a good stay with us - we do not have tvs in many rooms precisely because our guests tell us that they come to Woodbrooke as they are looking for a ‘break from the norm’ and to enjoy the simple things like the food, the peacefulness, our library and the gardens and woodland. Some visitors want to ‘turn off’ and focus inward rather than watch tv, although we do have free wi-fi which enables travellers who bring a laptop or portable media devices to watch catch-up tv and services to which they are already subscribed. Unfortunately at the moment the games room/cellar area is having work done to it although it only offers the pool table, the table tennis table and board games in basic surroundings! I am really pleased that you would come back and hope to see you here soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

This the first time I have stayed at Woodbrooke. I will certainly come again. The food is excellent with a wide choice. The building and grounds are exceptional. Such a pity one cannot enjoy a glass of wine with the evening meal.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Christopher B
Nigel M, Public Relations Manager at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you, Christopher, for taking the time to review us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and the variety and quality of our food. We do have a non-alcohol policy in Woodbrooke’s public spaces. Many of our guests tell us that it allows them to come here and relax in the knowledge that there isn’t a bar or any social pressure on them to drink. Of course, I understand that not everyone feels the same way. I am delighted, though, that you will come back again in the future and we look forward to seeing you.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have stayed at Woodbrooke many times. I look forward to my visits. I have always found the staff to be very warm and welcoming. The food is great and the gardens wonderful, so much to explore, each time I visit there are more changes in the gardens. I use Woodbrooke as a place to be quiet and reflect, I leave refreshed and nurtured. I would recommend Woodbrooke for short or long stays. I certainly plan to come again and will let my friends know about this amazing place to stay. I look forward to returning again.

Thank you. JMS

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Thank you, Sinead, for such a wonderful review. We are really pleased that you enjoy coming to Woodbrooke and that you enjoy our food and exploring the ever-changing gardens! I hope that you will be able to come back soon for some more refreshment and nurturing,
Exeter, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I'm a Quaker so have been to Woodbrooke 4 times before. However, I was very impressed with the recent upgrading of part of the communal facilities as well as the quality of the room with the ensuite where I shared this time. if you are in Birmingham try the B and B option. Bus into the city is a great service.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Nigel M, Public Relations Manager at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you, Ian, for taking the time to review Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre. We are delighted that you were impressed with the improved facilities here such as the Garden Lounge with its garden views, cappuccino machine and the woodburning stove (although you may not have enjoyed the stove with our rather warm weather recently!). Thank you also for sharing the tip about the buses for future guests - we have a bus stop from the city centre directly outside our entrance. We hope to see you back here for another stay soon.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Woodbrooke is one of those places where you don't want to leave and for which you immediately start working out when you can go again. The food is lovely with a great choice, and ethically sourced. The breakfasts put many more expensive hotels to shame. There are plenty of hot and cold drinks 'on tap' including decent filter coffee. And I must mention the great drinks machine in the conservatory, which among many things produces very good hot chocolate. It wasn't just my children who kept going back for more.

The gardens are just so relaxing, and although the lake is not huge, a gentle row round it is a treat. It is very easy to forget that you are just a short train or bus ride from the centre of Birmingham. Bournville (the home of Cadbury's) is a pleasant walk away with much of historical interest. I can't say Cadbury's World appealed greatly, way too commercial.

The staff are friendly and helpful, with 'friends in residence' always around to assist and guide at weekends. Being a study centre there is a fascinating, peaceful library if you like libraries, (I do).

The rooms are simple, comfortable and clean, and everything you need.

Room Tip: In hot weather you want to avoid the top floor (in the roof of the main house), it get's a bit t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
AmandaSmart, Marketing Officer at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for this lovely review of Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are already planning your next visit. We are glad that our freshly cooked meals, 10 acres of organically managed gardens, staff, volunteers and our Quaker library all contributed to an excellent break for you and your family, and that you were able to explore the nearly Bournville. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Woodbrooke soon.
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Woodbrooke offers hospitality at its best, especially if you're looking for "green" and socially conscious options..The rooms are comfortable (though not luxurious), and the meals are superb -- full English breakfast (buffet), locally sourced meat as well as vegetables, FairTrade coffee and teas, everything labelled for food allergies and vegetarian/vegan. Seating is family-style so you meet interesting people. The staff are gracious and helpful, as one would expect from a Quaker-based organization. The new garden lounge off the dining room, with comfortable seating in conversational groups, was popular especially during morning coffee and afternoon tea. Coming from overseas, I like the fact that the rooms have a lot of the extras like skirt hangers, a small rack for drying hand laundry (with a bigger one down the hall), shampoo as well as soap dispensers in the showers, and a hair-dryer. The local bus from center city Birmingham (including bus and coach stations, with connections to the airport) stops right outside the door and runs often. The only minor drawback was that I ate too much and gained a couple of pounds during my stay.

Room Tip: "Standard" rooms have sinks in the room and full bath (singles, not shared) across the hal...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rugbym0m
AmandaSmart, Marketing Officer at Bed and Breakfast at Woodbrooke, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Woodbrooke, and for your room recommendations. We pride ourselves on our warm welcome and excellent hospitality, so we are really pleased that you experienced this during your visit. We are glad that you liked our freshly cooked meals, and appreciated our efforts to buy our food from sustainable sources and ensure that all diets are catered for. We are also pleased that our facilities helped to make your stay from overseas a little more comfortable. We do hope to see you again on your next visit to Birmingham.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Woodbrooke is extraordinary. The accommodation is fine, the food is tasty and plentiful, the staff are helpful and kind. But the most wonderful thing is the ten acres of garden - woodland, grassland and flower and vegetable. There is a small lake on which one can go boating. The garden lounge made me feel like I was actually in the garden, but I could read my book out of the wind. I could not fault it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wildfrog85
Many thanks for your lovely review of Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre. We are so pleased that you really enjoyed exploring our ten acres of organically managed gardens, woodland and boating lake during your stay here, as well as the freshly cooked meals we have on offer. We are really glad that our new Garden Lounge offered you some shelter from the wind, but didn't stop you from enjoying the view of the garden. We hope to welcome you back to Woodbrooke soon.