“Honest value for money!”

Travelodge Birmingham Central Newhall Street
Ranked #47 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Having never been to Birmingham before we managed to find the hotel very easily with the help of our Sat Nav. We were able to park right outside the front door as if you park on the right hand side of the street there is a maximum stay of 4 hours (£3.50). After 6pm parking is free.
The ladies on reception were very helpful and explained different parking options including the NCP car park round the corner, they gave us directions to to the NIA and into town and were generally very helpful and courteous. I am sorry to say it was so busy at recpetion I never go to know their names, but they were all lovely and the one that stands out is the lady with the amazing eye make-up and extra lenght lashes :)
We booked the Travelodge becasue we knew what to expect - the room had been refurbished and still smelled of new carpet. The room was large, minimal and clean with a nice clean bathroom. The new beds are very comfortable and although our room fronted the main road there was no noise.
We were a bit surprised to exit the lift on the 1st floor and find ourselves in the linen cupboard, we had a good laugh at our foolishness (but it might be worth mentioning to other guests that you need to select buttons on the left in the lift).
This hotel is a pleasant 10 minute stroll next to the canal to the NIC and 10 mins into the heart of the city. Usaeful for New Street Station, the Bull ring shopping centre, museums and German Market (which was lovely although awfully crowded).
TV could have a few more chanels but an observation not a complaint!
We will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Excellent service from a team of people who work well together and made me feel that nothing was too much trouble for them. I asked for directions to an event and was given clear and precise information.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed for 4 nights mid November with my husband whilst visiting the Christmas Market.

The positives: As usual with Travelodges the price is hard to beat, we paid £139 for the four nights booking about 6 weeks in advance on the non-refundable rate. The rooms are standard sizes and you always know what to expect which is a bonus. This was excellently located for town and the jewellery quarter being about a 10 minute walk from both, so close but not really any noise from the street on a night. We parked in the NCP car park which was literally two seconds round the corner and on departure were able to collect a discount voucher from reception which reduced this charge from £20 a day to £5.50 a day which was fairly reasonable.

The negatives: Although this is the new style Travelodge it really isn't better in my opinion. The dressing table is a third the size, the storage has one small hanging rail and one small shelf on which to put your clothes and no couch. Whilst I am sure that those who needed extra beds would have got them, and for 1 or two night stays these rooms are fine, for us for 4 days it would be better to have the extra storage etc as we had to live out of our case. The extra furniture wouldn't have made the room particularly feel smaller but it would have been useful. The beds were ridiculously uncomfortable, far too soft that every night we rolled into the middle to greet each other. This was made even more laughable by the fact there was a leaflet in the room promoting the beds and telling you how great they were and where you could buy one if you liked it. The plastic key card we got for the room was also used to call the lifts but every single day we had to go and get it re-swiped as it stopped working. Thought we were just unlucky but there were others at the same time and this was a bit annoying. This Travelodge also serves food and has it's own bar for which the prices were reasonable. However the food we had was tragic. We ordered the burger sharing platter which was 6 mini burgers that came with salad, chips, onion rings and dips. The chips and onion rings were ok, the salad was limp and lifeless and the burgers were the worst we've ever had. Clearly microwaved they were so hard and rubbery we could have played basketball with them and they appeared to be cut from larger burgers. The buns were over defrosted and so became chewy then hard. We were going to try breakfast one day but because of the results of our bar meal decided not to. Lastly on our third night we were woken at 3.40am by other guests making one hell of a racket, banging, swearing and shouting through the corridors and in their rooms. We finally got back to sleep but were woken at 7.30am to hear 'f***ing c**t, I'll wake him up!' and then the sound of vomiting. I didn't report this to reception at the time of the incidents as I didn't feel comfortable having to pass through them to complain so to be fair they didn't know until I complained in the morning. When I did mention it staff were apologetic and offered us a free breakfast by way of apology which we declined. I spoke again to a member of staff and she said that she would make sure the night porter kept an eye out on our floor and gave me the direct number of reception in case anything else happened. She did offer to move us to a different room but we didn't want to for the last night. She also offered us a complimentary drink at the bar but we didn't take them up on this,

Overall we enjoyed our stay and for the most part it was fine. Staff were friendly and helpful even if not the most smiley. The price and location can't really be beaten so I would consider staying again but making sure I had a quiet room.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front weren't noisy from the street but if you're easily disturbed as for a qui...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Igpants
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Birmingham Central Newhall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Whilst we are please to hear you were happy with the location of the hotel Igpants, we are sorry to learn you found our beds to be uncomfortable. We have recently freshened up the whole hotel with a makeover and put brand new pocket sprung beds in every room. We’ve received some great feedback regarding the comfort of our mattresses however we are aware that our guests may have different preferences. Our bar café staff are fully trained on how to prepare food up to a great standard so it is regrettable to learn that you did not enjoy the food during your stay and that this service fell below the standards which we expect. We are also sorry to learn you were disturbed early in the morning by other guests at the hotel, we do ask all of our guests to be courteous of other customers around the hotel during their stay. Please can you give us some more detail of your stay so we can address your concerns. To help us contact you please can you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to give us more detail and be sure to click on the ‘link from TripAdvisor’ option when submitting your details.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here on the 26th of October when we arrived the staff told us there was no hot water but they had people working on it and if they couldnt get it working they would move us or give us a refund .
When we got to are room the hole up stairs stank of gas so we went back to reception to found out if the building was safe, They sent some guys up with gas meters and said it was fine we opened are window to try and get rid of the smell.
On the hole the room was clean and bed was nice but not having hot water till 8ish was not great and in the morning there was no hot water again.
I have had no response from the many emails i have sent to travelodge and from the reviews i have filled out, nor any compensation.
Very poor customer services shame thought someone would aleast respond

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed one night while in Birmingham to go to a concert and found it clean and good value. also a good location as I don't know my way around Birmingham.I didn't eat or drink here as I went to the local Wetherspoons for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Very delighted with the hotel room for 3 adults... The bed was very comfortable and clean. The room had the basics needed including kettle, towels etc... Would definately return again...Thanks Travelodge...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I wanted a cheap room for a couple of nights while visiting my son in Birminham. I Chose this one as it was near where he lived. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and spotless. The room was quiet and comfortable.
Breakfast was good, as another reviewer mentioned a good choice in cereals but the cooked breakfast was limited but hot and fresh.
Staff were friendly.
All in all for the price it was very good. Will choose to stay here when I return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo