“Very Busy When I went”

The Pen Museum
Ranked #15 of 293 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Immerse yourself in the exciting world of pens and calligraphy and explore our amazing collection of over 5,000 objects.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very difficult to see much crowded with tourists and school kids, this was the wrong time to visit better luck next time

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My partner and I went to the Pen Museum recently whilst in Birmingham.

At first glance, the place doesn't appear to be very much- only a few fairly small rooms inside what seems to be a business complex. Indeed, we very nearly immediately upon entering as it seemed to be a single person's obsession.

However, we were very soon greeted by another person who guided is around the museum and was both friendly, engaging and informative. We were there for over an hour and were accompanied for almost the whole time by our guide, who was clearly well informed and interested in the subject. He also helped us to make our own pen nib from scratch, which I have since used! We later learned that the museum is run entirely on donations and volunteers- making his time and attention even more appreciated.

Even better, this was all free of charge, although we were compelled to leave a fair donation for the time, effort and attention of the staff and our enjoyment of the museum. I am sure you will feel the same way.

I would recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in writing, pens and or penmanship.

1  Thank Oli B
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I am not in Birmingham very often but I have visited this little museum twice and found it to be fascinating and delightful. The place is entirely run by enthusiastic and knowledgeable volunteers. It is probably struggling financially as they don't charge an entry fee - so make a donation if you possibly can when you visit.
One of the highlights is that you can have a go at the various manual processes of making a steel nib. Also some old typewriters you can have a go on, plus some interesting videos. As it is in the heart of the Jewelry Quarter this is a great place to visit if you are already wandering around that lovely area.

1  Thank n b
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The pen museum offers a rich collection on the history of pens manufactured in Great Britain, explaining from Edinburgh to Birmingham. The pen museum is small, but the staff is very warm and knowledgeable. The staff is an old man who will be gladly to answer your queries if you have, and I had a great experience with this museum, so do come for a visit if you are on a budget.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Knowledgable staff combined with good displays and the excellent opportunity to have a go at making your own pen nib, which you can take home with you! Particularly enjoyed the section on Braille and Braille typewriters, discovering a lot of new facts. Would strongly recommend!