“Interesting hotel!”

pentahotel Birmingham
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Check-in was slick, easy, and done by a friendly guy. We were on the 6th floor (which made me happy... I was a little considered about the bassy music played on the ground and first floor, but it wasn't a problem). The room itself was basic, and the bathroom was on the small side. The bed was comfortable, although there is some road noise. I am a very light sleeper, brought my own ear plugs, but still heard the occasional motorcycle or truck go by. There was a TV that we didn't bother turning on, and the facilities to make your own coffee/tea. The shower was a consistent temperature, and there were toiletries provided, although when the maid came in and cleaned, she took all of those toiletries and didn't replace them, which I found odd. There was no place or shelf to put your razor or shampoo; it all sat on the floor. Not a huge problem, of course.

We were given a glass of free prosecco upon arrival (as per our arrangement with secret escapes) and it was delicious! We both regret not buying an additional bottle of the stuff. There are two pool tables, free to use, and in good condition. The tables themselves look new, but one table was missing one ball, although this didn't stop us from playing. There is also a pinball machine on the ground floor, free to play, which I became hopelessly addicted to.

The breakfasts were very good! It was buffet style and included in the cost of our room. It had a selection of REAL fruit, none of the canned crap. It had scrambled eggs, fried eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, hash browns, mushrooms, several different kinds of bread, many kinds of cereal, yogurt, a nice coffee machine, a selection of juices, muffins, still and sparkling water, and, last but not least, a cold, open bottle of prosecco at your disposal. We chose to add a little OJ to ours. One morning we shared a chocolate muffin, and it was quite possibly the best muffin I've ever eaten. I was very surprised!

The location is great, too. In walking distance is a champagne bar in the Indigo Hotel with some nice views but mediocre to poor service. There's also a tiki bar called Island that does a killer happy hour and terrific drinks. Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JustJo26
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Hi Jocelyn,

Thanks for such a positive review of your stay with us.

Our breakfast is very special and we are all very proud to serve this every day.

We hope to see you again soon,
Ben

Write a ReviewReviews (2,657)

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Massively exceeded my expectations, especially after the slight shock of the reception doubling as a hipster bar. But the room was fantastic with great bathroom, walk-in shower, very modern fittings, comfy bed and free movies including recent blockbuster releases. Breakfast selection was really good, and I'm very fussy about good food. Fish and cheeses was great to see, plus a decent freshly baked rye loaf, viennoiserie and a banana bread. The only slight let-down was a chaotic service and general lack of utensils and crockery. Otherwise really impressed with the place, especially as I paid more than twice as much for a room half as good in London the previous night. Would definitely return on future Birmingham trips.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Hi Fromagier,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

In the main, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay, as mentioned in another review, we are just getting the balance of the team in place and this I hope will make the difference between a good and a great stay.

Hope to see you at penta again soon,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked this place for a night to attend a meeting in Birmingham. It was in a great location close to New St station.
When we arrived the staff on reception were really friendly and dealt with check quickly as we were tired frm our journey. The rooms were basic but not in a shabby cheap way - for one or 2 nights this place is more than acceptable, clean, comfy bed, good temp in the room adn the shower was really great - most important thing for me!
We ate in the hotel restaurant and I cannot fault the food - the service was a little slow but she was super friendly and helpful so this more than made up for it - short staffed was the reason so I would probably say to the hotel they could invest in more staff.....
We had 2 courses and although not the cheapest for a hotel as I said I would put the steak I had up in the top 5 I've had for cooked to perfection.
Checking out was a painless affair and the coffee we had was really good.
Over all I cannot recommend this place more, all I would say was the lack of staff let it down in the restaurant, and that is definitely not the actual staff's fault.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KirstySC

Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for posting such a great review of your stay with us.

The steaks are of the highest quality as they USDA beef and I am glad that you appreciated them.

Yes, I agree we could have had an extra member of staff or two on duty this week and we are working hard to make sure we get our manning levels right.

Hopefully next time you stay we will have this sorted.

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Myself & my boyfriend stayed her before a gig in central Birmingham. We easily found the underground carpark, where there were plenty of spaces & we were warmly welcomed by staff. There was a relaxed feel about the place, lovely decor & good music playing. Our room was really nice, spacious modern bathroom & clean; Only downfall was a slight 'camp bed' style bed. Breakfast was amazing, once again friendly staff & very relaxed atmosphere. Would 100% stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the kind words following your stay at penta Birmingham.

We hope to have the new style penta beds in Birmingham soon which will then, hopefully, make your next stay even closer to perfection!

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We booked bed and breakfast through Expedia for a very good price. We checked in at 1.30pm with no problems and even managed to get a parking bay at the rear of the hotel for free. Our room was on the sixth floor and it was ok for a cpuple of nights but as there is no wardrobe I wouldn't like to stay for longer. The rooms are quite small amd the bed quite uncomfortable and squeaked every time we turned over. Not keen on the laminate flooring and would have preferred to have a bath but the shower was quite good. Lovely products too. We only had one pillow each but mentioned to reception and they delivered additional pillows within a few minutes. All of the staff seemed very polite and helpful. The hotel is in an excellent spot for the o2 and the chinese quarter, it's also a short walk to the bullring. Excellent breakfast and free pool table and pinball but disappointed that we couldn't use the gym as it's currently being refurbished. We're both avid gym goers and chose this hotel due to it having a gym so was a big thing for us not to have use of one. Free films on the hotel room tv's including adult films if you like that kind of thing.

• Stayed: February 2014
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hi,
Thank you for your review of penta Birmingham.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the most part and hope we can tempt you back to penta again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Hotel is great location, stylish and clean, Hot showers very nice breakfast choice.

Bad sides are £13 parking fees you dont get told about, badddddddddd mattresses ( noisy bed and way too small ) paper thin walls, couples havin sex all night can become annoying.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MarkandZoey,

Thank your for sharing your experiences following your stay with us.

I am sorry you felt let down enough to comment on tripadvisor despite our direct contact and offer of recompense for your stay.

To re-iterate, we do charge for car parking at £12.50 per night & I am sorry that we have not met your expectations.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is by far the coolest hotel in Birmingham making many of the others seem dated. The bar was a brilliant place to hang out with friends before we hit the town. Perfectly located between The Bullring and The Mailbox. Highly recommend this hotel to groups of friends and couples.

• Stayed: February 2014

Hi KittyElla,

Thanks for the great review!

Hope to see you in Birmingham again soon!