“Cheep city hotel - Poor customer service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of pentahotel Birmingham

pentahotel Birmingham
Ranked #10 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Telford, United Kingdom
“Cheep city hotel - Poor customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Overall good location for the city centre - Hotel decor nice, comfy bar area, beds a little uncomfy (really hard) Hotel was cheep for city centre but bar really expensive £35 for three doubles.

Only trouble we had was at check out - when we arrived (3 couples) we asked if we could pay individually for the rooms, rooms were £40.00 each unaware that the hotel take a security payment from the leaders bank card of £65.00 per room, on check out I paid for two of the room plus parking which came to £105 - Instead of taking the £105 out of the £195 already taken off my card the took an additional £105 and now I have to wait 2 days to get my £195.00, Which killed my Sunday morning shopping trip I had planned for the way home.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review following your stay at the weekend.

As discussed via our direct email correspondance, I am sorry that our check in system has authorised the wrong card upon your arrival, we have since fixed this as a result of your feedback.

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
South Wales, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had a room on the 6th floor and had a pleasant surprise with this hotel - clean, adequate sized room, and shower room. Staff were welcoming and pleasant. Good location close to facilities we frequented. Only quibbles are (1) the reception is tucked away at the end of the bar, and not readily recognised; and (2) the mattresses are on the soft side and not suitable for anyone with lower back problems.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi NeathGuy,

Thanks for the review of your stay at penta in Birmingham - I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay in the main.

Our reception desk is part of the bar area & this is what we are proud to offer - a check in desk that offers drinks & service all in one & that removes some of the boundaries of traditional hotels -I am sorry that this was not clear enough.

Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Check-in was slick, easy, and done by a friendly guy. We were on the 6th floor (which made me happy... I was a little considered about the bassy music played on the ground and first floor, but it wasn't a problem). The room itself was basic, and the bathroom was on the small side. The bed was comfortable, although there is some road noise. I am a very light sleeper, brought my own ear plugs, but still heard the occasional motorcycle or truck go by. There was a TV that we didn't bother turning on, and the facilities to make your own coffee/tea. The shower was a consistent temperature, and there were toiletries provided, although when the maid came in and cleaned, she took all of those toiletries and didn't replace them, which I found odd. There was no place or shelf to put your razor or shampoo; it all sat on the floor. Not a huge problem, of course.

We were given a glass of free prosecco upon arrival (as per our arrangement with secret escapes) and it was delicious! We both regret not buying an additional bottle of the stuff. There are two pool tables, free to use, and in good condition. The tables themselves look new, but one table was missing one ball, although this didn't stop us from playing. There is also a pinball machine on the ground floor, free to play, which I became hopelessly addicted to.

The breakfasts were very good! It was buffet style and included in the cost of our room. It had a selection of REAL fruit, none of the canned crap. It had scrambled eggs, fried eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, hash browns, mushrooms, several different kinds of bread, many kinds of cereal, yogurt, a nice coffee machine, a selection of juices, muffins, still and sparkling water, and, last but not least, a cold, open bottle of prosecco at your disposal. We chose to add a little OJ to ours. One morning we shared a chocolate muffin, and it was quite possibly the best muffin I've ever eaten. I was very surprised!

The location is great, too. In walking distance is a champagne bar in the Indigo Hotel with some nice views but mediocre to poor service. There's also a tiki bar called Island that does a killer happy hour and terrific drinks. Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JustJo26
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hi Jocelyn,

Thanks for such a positive review of your stay with us.

Our breakfast is very special and we are all very proud to serve this every day.

We hope to see you again soon,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Massively exceeded my expectations, especially after the slight shock of the reception doubling as a hipster bar. But the room was fantastic with great bathroom, walk-in shower, very modern fittings, comfy bed and free movies including recent blockbuster releases. Breakfast selection was really good, and I'm very fussy about good food. Fish and cheeses was great to see, plus a decent freshly baked rye loaf, viennoiserie and a banana bread. The only slight let-down was a chaotic service and general lack of utensils and crockery. Otherwise really impressed with the place, especially as I paid more than twice as much for a room half as good in London the previous night. Would definitely return on future Birmingham trips.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Fromagier,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

In the main, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay, as mentioned in another review, we are just getting the balance of the team in place and this I hope will make the difference between a good and a great stay.

Hope to see you at penta again soon,
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked this place for a night to attend a meeting in Birmingham. It was in a great location close to New St station.
When we arrived the staff on reception were really friendly and dealt with check quickly as we were tired frm our journey. The rooms were basic but not in a shabby cheap way - for one or 2 nights this place is more than acceptable, clean, comfy bed, good temp in the room adn the shower was really great - most important thing for me!
We ate in the hotel restaurant and I cannot fault the food - the service was a little slow but she was super friendly and helpful so this more than made up for it - short staffed was the reason so I would probably say to the hotel they could invest in more staff.....
We had 2 courses and although not the cheapest for a hotel as I said I would put the steak I had up in the top 5 I've had for cooked to perfection.
Checking out was a painless affair and the coffee we had was really good.
Over all I cannot recommend this place more, all I would say was the lack of staff let it down in the restaurant, and that is definitely not the actual staff's fault.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KirstySC
Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for posting such a great review of your stay with us.

The steaks are of the highest quality as they USDA beef and I am glad that you appreciated them.

Yes, I agree we could have had an extra member of staff or two on duty this week and we are working hard to make sure we get our manning levels right.

Hopefully next time you stay we will have this sorted.
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Myself & my boyfriend stayed her before a gig in central Birmingham. We easily found the underground carpark, where there were plenty of spaces & we were warmly welcomed by staff. There was a relaxed feel about the place, lovely decor & good music playing. Our room was really nice, spacious modern bathroom & clean; Only downfall was a slight 'camp bed' style bed. Breakfast was amazing, once again friendly staff & very relaxed atmosphere. Would 100% stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hi Holly,

Thanks for the kind words following your stay at penta Birmingham.

We hope to have the new style penta beds in Birmingham soon which will then, hopefully, make your next stay even closer to perfection!

Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We booked bed and breakfast through Expedia for a very good price. We checked in at 1.30pm with no problems and even managed to get a parking bay at the rear of the hotel for free. Our room was on the sixth floor and it was ok for a cpuple of nights but as there is no wardrobe I wouldn't like to stay for longer. The rooms are quite small amd the bed quite uncomfortable and squeaked every time we turned over. Not keen on the laminate flooring and would have preferred to have a bath but the shower was quite good. Lovely products too. We only had one pillow each but mentioned to reception and they delivered additional pillows within a few minutes. All of the staff seemed very polite and helpful. The hotel is in an excellent spot for the o2 and the chinese quarter, it's also a short walk to the bullring. Excellent breakfast and free pool table and pinball but disappointed that we couldn't use the gym as it's currently being refurbished. We're both avid gym goers and chose this hotel due to it having a gym so was a big thing for us not to have use of one. Free films on the hotel room tv's including adult films if you like that kind of thing.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hi,
Thank you for your review of penta Birmingham.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the most part and hope we can tempt you back to penta again soon.