“Good place to stay after a good night out!”

pentahotel Birmingham
Ranked #13 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good place to stay after a good night out!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Loved the pentalounge. Young, urban feel as soon as you walk through the door.
Extremely close to a very lively night life.

Only disappointment is that we were woken up every half an hour by drunks running up and down the corridor screaming and shouting and knocking on the doors. A very disturbed night sleep!

Other than that, a great stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Mohtte,

Thanks for taking the time to share our experiences of the penta hotel Birmingham - I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by other guests - I will make sure our team are more vigilant in controlling this.

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
UK
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Reception Area: The reception area and lounge are decorated to a very high standard and offer some great features such as a free pool table, playable PS4 and large TV's. The reception staff were also very pleasant in booking me into my room and providing details on how to get to the centre of the city. Not a big fan of the reception being the same as the bar but each to their own I guess.

Room: Decorated to a nice standard with some great handwashes and soaps. Bed was rock solid and tough to sleep on. Room was pretty quiet despite being next to a main road.

Breakfast: Disaster. I came down at 08.15 both days (which is pretty standard) and both times were completely understaffed (buffet English). I was often waiting for simple items for up to 5 - 10 minutes including plates, juice, toast, cups, beans etc, which should be brought out in ample time. Tables were left uncleared and from what I can tell it wasn't just myself sufferent from this issue. The staff that were out were trying their best but it simply needs another 1 - 2 people at peak times.

Evening Meals: IMO a little overpriced (£15 - £25 for main meals) for the small portions but quality was good.

Parking - Limited spaces available (25 underground I think). The hotel offered no discount to park outside on the pay and display which I think should really be offered.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Kazy,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences of your stay here in Birmingham.

I am sorry that the experience wasn't as good as you expected & in particular, the breakfast experience wasn't up to our usual standard, this is something that nomally, our customers are most impressed with & I am disappointed that we didnt deliver on this ocassion.

I will take your feedback on board and work harder to improve the service provided and hope that you will experience this in the future.

Cardiff
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, came up with my partner for 4 nights, loving the free pool great idea, central to majority of places, friendly staff, let us book in two hours earlier as we arrived. good value and nice overall, if visiting again would defiantly come back

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Joe,

Thanks for such a positive review of your stay with us, I will share your comments with the team!

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

From the moment I walked in, I knew I had booked the right place.

The bar (which doubles as a reception desk) is modern and stylish but very welcoming. Was offered my choice of floor which was great. Disappointing that the car park is so expensive and that WiFi isn't included, but expected this.

The room was fantastic with great bathroom, walk-in shower, very modern. Bed was far too hard (sore back today!) and TV which should have offered free movies just showed 'not available'. Toiletries were a lovely touch.

Breakfast was the best I have ever seen in a hotel - fresh smoked salmon, bitesize bagels, real fruit and the fresh muesli was phenomenal. Well worth the cost.

Would definitely return on future Birmingham trips but hoping for better mattresses in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Traveller,

Thanks for your kind words following your stay with us, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am pleased to say that we have plans to upgrade our beds to the penta standard very soon.

Our movie system is in the process of being upgraded this week to fall in line with the installation of new 42 inch LED screens in every room.

Hopefully the next time you visit you will see the improvements that we are continuing to make.

Best regards
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Arrived at the hotel and was impressed with the decor and general ambience of reception and the communal areas, a lot of attention to detail has been spent here it's just such a shame the same can't be said of the rooms. The bed was like trying to sleep on a plank of plywood, which uncomfortable in itself I could have coped with had I had more than one pillow. Me and my partner had one slim pillow each, we rang reception to ask for more to be told they would look and get back to us in 10minutes. They never rung back. Woke up next day with back ache and neck pain after a really uncomfortable night.

Breakfast was impressive and couldn't fault it, probably the best breakfast I have had in a hotel but was too grumpy from the lack sleep to enjoy it fully.

When complaining on check out of our room we found out there had been two blunders,
1) there should have been more than two pillows in our room so a mistake had been made
2) when we rang for spare pillows 'the key to the storage' couldn't be found

All they offered was a 'Sorry' and nothing more, they clearly weren't bothered at all. All I ask of a hotel is a decent nights sleep, as this place couldn't provide it I won't be returning - which is a shame as on the surface the hotel was very unique.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Hi Jeyoung,

Thanks for your review - I am really sorry you didn't get a good nights sleep & even more so that we didn't deal with this at the time of your stay.

I am not quite sure how we were unable to deliver the pilows but I would have to say that this is most unlike us.

If you would be willing to give us another opportunity, please do contact me directly at the hotel and I will be sure to make sure you recieve the best possible standards of care.

Kind regards
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in early march nice hotel room was good for the price settee tv with up to date movies for free quick easy check in. nice decor free pool table and pinball machine lovely seating areas and pleasant staff other reviews say the drinks are expensive I thought the prices were fair for the hotel and on a par at other places we have stayed all in all a pleasant stay and we would book again if we were in birmingham.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Redsticks,

Thanks for the positive review, I hope to see you back in Birmingham soon!
Best regards