“Good location, pleasant room, service could be better.”

pentahotel Birmingham
Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good location, pleasant room, service could be better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night. The location is good, being a short walk from the city centre. The room was an average size, clean, quiet, had a minimalist décor and looked to be recently renovated. Coffee making facilities were provided. A standard Sunday checkout at 1500 was a welcome surprise.

The hotel is generally good but could improve on service. The person I spoke with at check in was courteous and welcoming but the person I spoke with on check out demonstrated a poor grasp of customer service skills. At check in I had paid £12.50 for one of the few (25) spaces available in the secured car park (accessed both on foot and by car via intercom) and had asked how long my £12.50 would buy me. I was told that I’d be able to leave my car in it until 1530. I checked out early, was informed in an abrupt fashion that the car parking space would need to be vacated sooner and had to request that the hotel honoured the initial agreement which it eventually did. Limited on street parking is also available.

The hotel cleaning staff ignored the “do not disturb” sign on the door.

We did not try the breakfast or dinner options which were available at the hotel. Rates for room service looked reasonable. I would consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Chris,

Thank you for feedback following your stay with us.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay in the main but of course, I am disappointed to see that our service could be improved as this is not the norm for us.

I will take on board your feedback and look at ways in which we can make things better for the future.

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here on 23rd May for one night. I had been emailing the hotel previously as I was planning on proposing that evening. When we got to our room there was a chalk board with a little message from the hotel and a mini bottle of bubbly with strawberries and cream waiting for us. They had upgraded us. The rooms aren't as fancy as the rest of the hotel but with a great shower and free films on the TV we didn't care.

Unfortunately we didn't get to use many of the free facilities like the pool and the pinball machine. The hotel is really funky and the decor is lovely.

The breakfast in the morning was amazing. Full cooked breakfast which was constantly being checked as well as fresh fruit and pastries. I also ordered pancakes and they were quickly brought out.

It's in the prefect location and we even managed to park on the road behind the hotel for free.

Dear Bex,

Thank you for the glowing review of your stay with us.

We were delighted to assist you on your special evening & hope that you got a Yes!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Two of us stayed here for 1 night over the bank holiday weekend mainly for it's perfect location and a great price of £59.00! On arrival we were able to check in 2 hours earlier than the standard check in time - loved the chilled, laid back atmosphere and the idea with the bar/ reception area being all in one. The receptionist was great and the check in process was simple, efficient and quick - all the staff I met were so relaxed, friendly and informal (informal in a great way though! Plus they all wear jeans and t shirts which is different and goes so well with this 'cool' hotel) I booked a standard room which was modern, clean and spacious. I found all the little extra touches fantastic like the bottled mineral water, high quality toiletries in the bathroom and the fact you get such a great TV package all free of charge. I rang up prior to my stay to enquire about a late checkout knowing that we would be having a heavy night out, again a friendly, helpful receptionist advised me that as it was bank holiday Monday we were able to have the room till 3pm (I think checkout is at 3pm on Sundays too!) which is great when your arriving back to sleep in the early hours after a heavy night. Checkout was a simple case of just giving our key back, again a friendly receptionist on duty. Didn't take breakfast but thought it was fantastic that they served it till 11:30am! I shall be going back to dine in the restaurant as didn't get a chance during my stay. The bar and restaurant are lush, so modern and I loved the quirky, chic, unique decor - so much attention to detail everywhere! Plus 2 free pool tables - great! Another nice little touch were the lanterns on the terrace at night and the idea with the blankets hooked over the chairs on the terrace for guests to keep warm is genius - so cosy! I think this hotel is underrated, working in well known chain hotel myself I can be critical, in my opinion I can't fault Penta at all - everything was perfect! Thanks for an amazing stay guys :)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank cherobiphil
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the very kind words following your stay with us this past weekend.

It is fantastic to read that the team greeted you in such a positive manner as having a cool interior is only one part of our brand identity.

Sorry that you didn't get chance to take breakfast with us - maybe you will be back again soon and you will get to experience this next time!?

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a night and, overall, were very impressed! Warm welcome upon arrival, nice atmosphere and very clean. Also very reasonably priced, especially for the city location!
The restaurant/lounge/bar are beautifully designed and lit with a vintage/City feel. The food service was prompt and of a high standard (especially the buffalo wings), and the self serve breakfast had something to appetise everyone (85 items to choose from I believe!)
There is also a 24 hour gym & bar PLUS free pinball machines, free movies in your room and free Wi-Fi!
Whether you're looking for somewhere to stay, dine or have a few drinks, then I'd definitely recommend Pentahotel Birmingham.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna P
Hi Joanna,

Thanks for the great review of your stay with us here at the penta hotel Birmingham.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & especially the food - the buffalo wings are pretty special!!

Hopefully we will see you back again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Great location and clean hotel! The staff are amazing! Especially the duty manager Sabrina who helped myself and a friend massively after trivargo had overbooked the hotel (avoid trivargo!!) can't thank her enough! The service was brilliant!! Couldn't do enough to help us! The bar is fab, matt makes delicious cocktails!

Wouldn't hesitate to return/recommend to anyone!

Thanks guys!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank 780unknown
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us this week.

I'm pleased to see that Sabrina & the team looked after you so well - hopefully we will see you back here at penta again soon.
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Myself and my wife stayed at the Pentahotel this past weekend whilst we were in Birmingham attending a gig. Having read the numerous positive reviews we had decided it seemed a safe bet for the one night we were there - and overall, we weren't disappointed.
Upon arriving at the hotel the blonde lady on reception made us feel immediately welcome, checking us in quickly and giving us some information about the hotel. The reception area is also the bar so I can imagine it gets a little busy later on in the evenings if people are checking in late, but that's purely a guess - not something we experienced.
Arriving at the room we were greeted by a comfortable looking bed, a massive tv on the wall, complimentary water and toiletries, and a clean room - couldn't really have asked for much more to be honest!
The positives continued throughout the evening whilst we spent some time sat in the area they call "The Hub" having a drink, and later on, out on the small balcony overlooking the street below where the hotel provided blankets for when the temperature dropped.
The breakfast in the morning was far beyond expectations with more than ample amounts of food, limitless tea and coffee and once again, smiling staff who seemed to be on hand to cater for any wish that might possibly have arisen.
There was one "but" as I mentioned - and that was down to some of the other guests rather than the hotel itself. Clearly at the price the hotel charges, they appeal to people looking for a cheap weekend in Birmingham. As such, there were a lot of stag and hen do's staying in the hotel whilst we were there. During the evening this wasn't a problem, and getting to sleep at around 12:30am was fine - but we were awoken by banging on our bedroom door at approximately 3am when one of said parties had come back to the hotel and had clearly confused our room with that of one of their friends. Judging by the number of jaded faces in the morning I would guess it was down to the level of alcohol consumed - however it did provide a disturbance we could have done without.
However, despite this small gripe (which as I say was nothing to do with the hotel itself), I would happily return to the Pentahotel in Birmingham and have already recommended it to a few people as a definite place to check out if in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher level to avoid the traffic noise.
2 Thank Dave N
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your stay with us here at penta.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by some of our other guests.

Perhaps next time you stay with us, you could contact me in advance and I will be sure to allocate your bedroom in the quietest area of the hotel.

Orpington, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here on business as I did not like the one my company suggested and as this worked out slightly cheaper and was nearer to New Street I stayed here. Thank goodness! Friendly staff, very helpful and chirpy. Very clean room, comfortable. Good service in the restaurant - excellent funky décor. The best bit is the breakfast - by far and I'm comparing to the likes of Malmaison. Wide choice, buffet style, well prepared and good quality food. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jrasher
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hi Jrasher,

Thanks for the great review of your stay here at penta Birmingham.

We are all delighted that you had such a great time with us & hope to see you again soon.