“Fantastic Stay, Unbelievable Value!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of pentahotel Birmingham

pentahotel Birmingham
Ranked #12 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Stay, Unbelievable Value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Although this may look like someone working for the company wrote it, I assure you it's not. I booked this hotel for somewhere for me and my girlfriend to stay the night after celebrating her 18th birthday. I chose this as it looked different to the standard Travelodge and Premier Inn hotels. I'll be brief - Best value hotel you will get for the money around Birmingham. For £59 that we paid for a night, including breakfast, we were more than impressed. Great lounge area with free pool, PS4, comfy leather chairs/loungers, newspapers, relaxed music and great ambience. Breakfast was the best hotel breakfast you will get in my opinion. Included lots of the finer choices such as Salmon platters, cheese selection, mixed sliced meats, pastries, as well as the usual cooked english items, fruits and cereals. Room was great, nothing to blow you away, but come on, it's sub £70 a lot of the time. Other highlights include free on demand movies, tv, and music, including some great rock stuff - I didn't expect that with all of the mainstream chart pop stuff condensing the airwaves. If there's anything to let it down, it's the drink prices. Paid a lot of money for just two drinks, and it's my guess that this is how the hotel makes a lot of the money. Don't knock it though, I'd honestly recommend it over any of the other hotels considered 'budget' in Birmingham. Brilliant stay, will definitely use this one again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Ben,

Thank you for the fantastic review of your stay with us.

I am really pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience with us here at pentahotel Birmingham & hope that we will see you again soon!

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Regularly come to this hotel when in Birmingham for business. Been to a few hotels in the vicinity and this one is by far the most comfortable and convenient.

Located a couple minutes walk from New Street station, near by the many restaurants, bars, theaters and cinemas of the Mailbox. Broad Street, Chinatown and city center.

Rooms in the hotel itself are spacious, stylish and comfortable. The breakfast selection is very good and the timings are great for those with early starts (opens 06:30). WiFi in the rooms appears to be free which is great for business travelers although requires daily log in. There's a 24 hr fitness room on the 1st floor that although it's small, it has a decent selection of equipment bearing in mind that this is a hotel gym (a functional trainer would be a great addition though).

The staff are really excellent here, extremely polite and helpful!

Only issues I have with the hotel are the evening menu in the restaurant and the film selection on the telly. The menu is effectively a pub menu (burgers, fish and chips, sausage and mash) and for those of us who spend quite a bit of time in hotels I would prefer to see more healthier options to avoid the potential of coronary heart disease... I first started coming to this hotel in January 2014 and the film selection was really very good and since then (subsequent to the introduction of the new TVs) the options have suffered, albeit better than most hotels I've stayed at.

Other than those minor issues this hotel is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: If you are inclined to stare out of your room window, I'd suggest getting a room on the east sid...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ScottishAdrian
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the great review of your regular stays with us here at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am pleased that we are your regular choice of hotel & thank you for your continued support of the brand.

I will take a look at the movie selection as we have significantly added to the number of movies & our on demand content, maybe we can take a look for you when you next stay as there are over thirty titles to watch for free!

I understand your comments in regards to the menu offering & will certainly share this with our central team as we are planning a new menu in the coming months.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This place is really good for the price. The rooms are spacious, the hotel is modern and the staff are friendly. The room layout is like that of the Ramada Encore hotel which makes me believe they have renovated an old Ramada hotel. There's even the classic red sofa bed in the rooms. The internet TV is quite good as well, good programs, great music selection. Unfortunately because of the cheap price the place attracts the wrong type of people. The walls between rooms are thin and the floors are wooden so you hear every step (especially women in their heels) which makes it difficult to sleep. I was awoken at 4.am but a screaming shouting guest (this person actually sounded like they were having a mental breakdown to the point of being violent). The phone in the room wasn't working so ringing reception was out of the question. I had to put on the air conditioning to drown out the screaming guest and the constant noise of people walking up and down the hallways

This is a cheap, classy and modern hotel, it's a shame a few guests ruined everyone's night. I may probably stay again, let's just hope they throw drunk noisy guests out next time.

Room Tip: Not sure if higher rooms have carpeted hallways this would help reduce noise while sleeping as the f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am sorry that your stay was disrupted by other guests, it is of course very difficult to prevent this from occurring but accept that there is no excuse for the phone in your room not working which would have allowed us to make things right for you.

If you do decide to stay with us again, please contact me in advance and I will be sure your room is allocated on the highest floor to prevent any noise disturbances.

Swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a Friday night as my daughters were going to a concert in NIA. Hotel is amazing. Deal we had for a Friday a def hit! A 10 min walk to China Town for our evening meal and the. A further 5.mins walk to Bullring..
You can actually see bullring from Hotel corridors. Rooms were fab, everything we needed. The lounge areas were superb...so trendy and cool, from.the decor to the pool tables the candles on the brickwork and the PlayStation...!! Morning breakfast was delicious everything and more you could have wished for and the staff were really helpful. Checking in and out was easy. Car parked safely underneath hotel securely. Already planning a trip in school summer holidays and would stay here again without fail! We loved it. Thank you!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank welshiex
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for such an amazing review of your stay with us!

We look forward to seeing you back in the summer here at penta!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hotel is not too far from the city centre but the price (very reasonable) does not reflect this.cool and hip reception/bar area and amazing food and cocktails. Rooms are basic but everything in them thats needed with great entertainment on the huge tv.
The hotel feels vey well thought out and staff are amazing.
we will be staying there again and will definitely be drinking and eating there now we know about it.
A hidden Gem

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki8808
Hi Nikki,

Thank you for the great review of your stay with us here at pentahotel Birmingham.

I was really happy to read your feedback & hope to see you back again soon!

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for Friday and Saturday night and was happy with the price. The hotel has a comfy funky feel to it and the staff are cheerful and friendly. The room itself was clean and just what I wanted for my weekend stay. The bed was so comfy I didn't want to check out in Sunday! And the location is 5-10 mins walk from the city centre.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will stay here again

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank KirkRich77
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the great review of your weekend with us here at penta.

Hopefully we will see you back again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner arrived in Birmingham around 1 and then the penny dropped we couldn't check in until 3, I called the hotel and they said they would have a room ready for us in 20 minutes! So we were checked in and in our room all by 1:30!
Hotel is ideally situated being a 5 minute walk from the train station and Bullring and 10 minutes from the Mailbox!
Staff are all very pleasant and can't do enough to help you!
The room itself I was slightly disappointed with, the pictures advertised are very deceiving, showing nice cushions and runners on the beds with fancy lighting, but our room had none of that, just a bed, quilt and pillows. With a TV and a small sofa. Although the room was immaculately clean which is always a plus! Plenty of towels provided and nice toiletries. We paid for the upgraded room which was supposed to include bathrobes and slippers although they were nowhere to be seen in our room. I spoke to reception and they broke us bathrobes but claimed to have no slippers.
TV was excellent with all new released films for free which you normally have to pay for in other hotels!
Now the breakfast, could not fault it. They had everything from hot drinks to Prosseco, Fresh fruit to a fry up, cereals, cheeses, cold meats and breads, Every different pastry imaginable and all of the food was being replenished regularly while we were eating. By far the best hotel breakfast I've seen!
When we checked out, again staff were very helpful asking if everything was okay and did we need a taxi calling etc.
All in all the Penta was a lovely hotel, good value for money and I would stay again!

• Stayed May 2014
Hi Chloe,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your stay in Birmingham.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay & take on board your feedback in regards to the bedrooms at the hotel, as stated in previous reviews, we are working on a redesign of these rooms currently & hope to have some exciting news about this in the very near future.