“Never again”

Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Never again”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

First of all I had to go to reception three times because first room given was a disabled one, which I'm not yet. After complaining the blond girl looked at me and angrily asked me: but what is wrong with the room? so she allocated me in another room giving me the new key card in bad way. So I went to my new room and my surprise when I see that the room is a twin bed. When I did the reservation through pentahotels website, I clearly booked a double bed, as I like to sleep comfortably and not on a tiny bed. So down again to demand a double bed room. That blonde girl at reception was very rude.
Then, during the night I was woken up at 5am because 4 people arrived from a night out and they decided to have loud chat in the corridor. I decided to call reception but the room telephone wasn't working! No signal at all. (room 419)
Definetely will not be go back to the pentahouse. Better spend £10 more and go to the Blu Radisson which is opposite.

The only good thing is the bar, even if it's a bit expensive.

Room Tip: beware the hen do parties at weekends. You will not sleep.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dani S
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for review following your stay with us.

I was really disappointed to read this review as it is certainly not in keeping with the feedback we usually get.

I have sent you a message directly with a hope of trying to resolving this for you & I hope that you will allow me to do this.

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

When you arrive: the surrounding area is a little poor and scruffy, but don't let that put you off.
Once inside you are met with genuine friendliness. The reception greeting was polite, very warm, friendly and informative.
First impressions of the reception and bar area, very warm, comfortable and friendly. Lovely decor, pool table, settees and fires. (not that you need them of course in June in England!!)

First floor Comfy lounge area, another pool table, dining area and again very friendly staff.

Our room was on the 5th floor. It was simple and clean and had everything we needed. (and apparently the rooms are going to be redecorated soon to make your stay even more enjoyable. The bathroom products are whacky and again very nice.

The breakfast choice was very good. You can ask for a tray and take the breakfast back to your room, which I did and had help once again from very polite and friendly staff.

We ate a burger for tea…Warning these are massive and very tasty, but for us too big!

All in all we experienced a very happy and pleasant stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go high and even numbered.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Alison,

Thanks for the fantastic review of your stay with us at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My self and 20 friends stayed here on Saturday, thank you so so much. Your hotel was wonderful, everyone was full of praise. Beds comfy, toiletries a nice treat and breakfast was beautiful.
The staff in your hotel were friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay here at pentahotel Birmingham.

It was our pleasure to host your group of friends & we hope that we are afforded the opportunity to do so again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I booked this hotel for one night in early June via HotelTonight, which I got for an amazing £55 and I had promotional codes on the app already so infact, I didn't pay a penny! I got a coach to Birmingham Coach Station and it was around £6 in a taxi from there to the hotel. Check-in was smooth and I went upto my room, which I was so delighted with! The TV even had my name on it, and all films were free, which included very recent movies! Wifi was free too. In the bathroom was an anatomicals gift set inc. shampoo, body lotion, soap etc-which are great! I received food room service of which I ordered fish and chips, which was quality, fresh food and totally delicious. The morning after, the hotel ordered me a taxi back to the coach station and off I went back on my travels. I'd totally recommend this hotel, and I didn't even see much of the hotel (they have a games room, bar etc).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback following your stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay & hope that we will see you back again at pentahotel Birmingham.

Donegal
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed for one night. Room was plain but breakfast was AMAZING. Was greeted by Ash, one of the friendliest hotel workers I've seen. Genuinely friendly and very helpful. Lovely design and layout inside but rooms are plain. Good value for money too and I'd happily stay there again!!!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Paddymcf
Hi Paddy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your stay with us in Birmingham.

I was really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay & that Ash, in particular, provided such a great level of hospitality for you.

I hope that we will see you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a good hotel. Very helpful staff, clean rooms, comfy bed and an excellent breakfast. The locaiton is not great - not the nicest area of town, although I felt safe enough walking around there, and it's a 10 minute walk through a couple of back-streets then the canal tow-path to the centre of town. It's a modern, funky hotel, not really suited for business trips of more than one night; the rooms are basic. Good for a fun place to stay - and a 24 hour bar. I thought the highlight was the breakfast - top drawer, with a chef who really knows how to cook scrambled egg(a rareity these days). Best breakfast of any 3 star I've stayed at - and some 4's!
Good:
- very helpful staff
- comfy bed
- has character, funky and different
- excellent breakfast
Not so good:
- immediate location
- for business stays

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PeteMoo
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Pete,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us here at pentahotels.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay & in particular, the scrambled eggs!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with the missus as we were going to show in the centre. Location is pretty decent as only a short walk to the centre of brum. Area is as it is a bit dodgy but hey ho!

The rooms were average but everything you need for a short stay. The thing BRILLIANT about this place is the bar area and upstairs. The decour is truely excellent and very classy for a small hotel. Drinks were great and staff were helpful...did i mention 24HR BAR!?!

I couldnt see myself staying here longer than 1 or 2 nights as its not a top hotel but for short stays i could rate this enough!

Will use again for sure and think people should give it a go 100%

Room Tip: Have a drink here, upstairs Bar is Excellent
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Onnie4000
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay at penta Birmingham.

The team and I were pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. As mentioned to other reviewers, we are very close to confirming the plans for further improvements to our bedrooms which I hope will only further enhance your next experience with us.