“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
west midlands
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Only down side of this hotel is the location. As others have said if the car park is full ( not many spaces available in the hotel car park) its parking on the road in a location you wouldn't want to visit other than in broad daylight. It's a short walk to the Mailbox where there is a good choice of branded restaurants (the usual GBK, Pizza Express etc).
Rooms were good. Contemporary, clean and comfortable. One of the best breakfasts I've had in a hotel. Great choice and really fresh.

1 Thank strolling8
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us here at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the location & the facilities of the hotel - in particular our breakfast!

I hope that we will see you back again soon!
Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My partner and stay here on saturday 21st June. Having driving straight from work in cornwall to there it was a god send! Very friendly staff! There was a mix up with our booking... (Secret escapes) not the hotels fault! The hotel was fully booked but we managed to get a disabled room. I can't fault the place, great relaxed atmosphere. This is the place to go if you are a young couple! Prosecco on arrival, great cocktails! We had planned to go out for food, but the restaurant in the hotel was fantastic! Hugh portions! Breakfast was out of this world! A breakfast buffet serving everything you could think of! I just wish we'd stayed longer than one night! We will for sure be returning!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for the great feedback following your stay with us last week.

I am pleased that the team managed to accomodate you & look after you so well & most importantly, we look forward to welcoming you back to pentahotel Birmingham again in the near future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I am a little torn because whilst the hotel in itself is fine, my stay did not get off to the best start.

I have to warn anyone travelling here that the car parking situation is awful. I am a lone female travelling on business and I do not expect to have to leave my car on an essentially unfinished car park nearby, where parking is paid for in coins only. I ended up leaving my car on double yellow lines whilst I tried to sort out cash in coins from local shops, as I only had cards on me. This was after I'd actually located the car park, having driven around for twenty minutes trying to locate it (I got directions from reception, but I misunderstood the road they were talking about).

Walking back to the hotel past piles of broken glass from cars didn't inspire much confidence I have to say. If I had been travelling in winter, it would have been very dark when I arrived and I wouldn't have been very happy to be lugging my case, handbag and laptop back to the hotel in the dark, around the rear of the hotel. Very unnerving.

That said, if I had been for a night out in Birmingham, or had travelled "light" and by train, then my review would probably have been very different.

The staff were very pleasant, and extremely helpful. They were very polite and friendly, even though I was probably a little curt when checking in as I was a bit peeved by then.

The hotel boasts a lovely bar; a little unusual to be checking in at the bar I have to say, but it's well worth showing it off from the start as I probably wouldn't have seen it if the check in had been in a typical reception. Food is served until ten o'clock which is good, or half ten if using room service.

I did have a drink in the bar - which is open 24 hours - and the atmosphere was fine, and quite chilled. I stayed on a Wednesday night, so maybe the vibe is is livelier at the weekend.

I ordered room service, and the food was beautiful. In fact I'd go as far as to say perhaps the nicest burger I've ever had.

The room itself was on the 7th floor, and I believe it was a recently refurbished one. Air conditioning was a welcome plus point, and it was fairly quiet in running which is unusual. The double bed was very comfortable, a good quality mattress I think.

Wifi is free, and easy to log into. The wifi was a little slow, but I've experienced much much worse in many so called luxury hotels.

Bathroom was very clean and housed an impressive walk in shower. A full complement of toiletries is provided.

Minor irritations for me were the lack of bedside table space (trendy little stools instead), nowhere to put shampoos etc in shower & a hair dryer which only has one heat setting (hot!) although I usually take my own so I can't really compare it to other hotels. I had to move the tea and coffee stuff too, as the hair dryer is located right above them and it wouldn't have been particularly nice to get hair in the cups!

The biggest plus for me, travelling alone, was the TV. Well done Penta! No shortage of channels, lots and lots of smart TV choices. Films and box set type choices, all available at no extra cost. The TV plus the free wifi are a step away from the usual rip off attempts by some of the large hotel chains.

I did not have breakfast, but was actually chatting to someone else who had breakfast and they told me it was really good. That's second hand information, but hey, a review is a review.

So I suppose, despite a bad start, a pretty good stay overall.

Room Tip: Take plenty of coins if travelling by car
1 Thank HazelM473
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Hazel,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us here at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the apects of the hotel for which we have direct control over.

I understand how the car parking situation can be frustrating but we do have secure underground parking here at the hotel but naturally this can be full at peak times.

I hope that this will not prevent you from returning to us & enjoying the breakfast you heard about.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

First of all I had to go to reception three times because first room given was a disabled one, which I'm not yet. After complaining the blond girl looked at me and angrily asked me: but what is wrong with the room? so she allocated me in another room giving me the new key card in bad way. So I went to my new room and my surprise when I see that the room is a twin bed. When I did the reservation through pentahotels website, I clearly booked a double bed, as I like to sleep comfortably and not on a tiny bed. So down again to demand a double bed room. That blonde girl at reception was very rude.
Then, during the night I was woken up at 5am because 4 people arrived from a night out and they decided to have loud chat in the corridor. I decided to call reception but the room telephone wasn't working! No signal at all. (room 419)
Definetely will not be go back to the pentahouse. Better spend £10 more and go to the Blu Radisson which is opposite.

The only good thing is the bar, even if it's a bit expensive.

Room Tip: beware the hen do parties at weekends. You will not sleep.
1 Thank Dani S
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for review following your stay with us.

I was really disappointed to read this review as it is certainly not in keeping with the feedback we usually get.

I have sent you a message directly with a hope of trying to resolving this for you & I hope that you will allow me to do this.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

When you arrive: the surrounding area is a little poor and scruffy, but don't let that put you off.
Once inside you are met with genuine friendliness. The reception greeting was polite, very warm, friendly and informative.
First impressions of the reception and bar area, very warm, comfortable and friendly. Lovely decor, pool table, settees and fires. (not that you need them of course in June in England!!)

First floor Comfy lounge area, another pool table, dining area and again very friendly staff.

Our room was on the 5th floor. It was simple and clean and had everything we needed. (and apparently the rooms are going to be redecorated soon to make your stay even more enjoyable. The bathroom products are whacky and again very nice.

The breakfast choice was very good. You can ask for a tray and take the breakfast back to your room, which I did and had help once again from very polite and friendly staff.

We ate a burger for tea…Warning these are massive and very tasty, but for us too big!

All in all we experienced a very happy and pleasant stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go high and even numbered.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Alison,

Thanks for the fantastic review of your stay with us at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My self and 20 friends stayed here on Saturday, thank you so so much. Your hotel was wonderful, everyone was full of praise. Beds comfy, toiletries a nice treat and breakfast was beautiful.
The staff in your hotel were friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay here at pentahotel Birmingham.

It was our pleasure to host your group of friends & we hope that we are afforded the opportunity to do so again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I booked this hotel for one night in early June via HotelTonight, which I got for an amazing £55 and I had promotional codes on the app already so infact, I didn't pay a penny! I got a coach to Birmingham Coach Station and it was around £6 in a taxi from there to the hotel. Check-in was smooth and I went upto my room, which I was so delighted with! The TV even had my name on it, and all films were free, which included very recent movies! Wifi was free too. In the bathroom was an anatomicals gift set inc. shampoo, body lotion, soap etc-which are great! I received food room service of which I ordered fish and chips, which was quality, fresh food and totally delicious. The morning after, the hotel ordered me a taxi back to the coach station and off I went back on my travels. I'd totally recommend this hotel, and I didn't even see much of the hotel (they have a games room, bar etc).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback following your stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay & hope that we will see you back again at pentahotel Birmingham.