“Disappointed :-(”

pentahotel Birmingham
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed here previously when it was Ramada Encore and was very happy with my stay and the level of service. Since its become a Pentahotel the changes are not really what I expect of a hotel of what claims to be a 4 star hotel. I walked in the bar area and could not find reception. The staff did not greet me or explain reception is at the bar. This is an informal aspect I expect of a pub with rooms not a 4 star hotel. During check in the member of staff was sidetracked by the phone and someone else asking questions which made me feel like an inconvenience. Check in lasted longer than expected. I had requested a high floor room and was given a room on the 3rd floor. I did not eat or have breakfast at the hotel as the public areas are limited and small.

Check out was 12pm yet housekeeping entered my room at 9am without knocking to clean my room. They also tried to enter my room again at 10am. The rooms are clean and comfortable with a wet room shower, but no bath.

Sadly It is doubtful I will return here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review here on Trip Advisor.

I am very sorry that pentahotels were not for you on this ocassion, our check in desk does form part of our bar and this is part of what makes us unique.

I was concerned to see that you didnt get our full attention during check in and I can only assume that we didnt quite get across the full benefits that we offer to customers in staying here.

Your comments in regards to the small public area space were confusing to me as we have an expansive lounge and terrace area on the first floor which I really believe is a huge feature of our brand and one which receives high praise usually.

If you would consider a return to the hotel I would ask that you contact me directly as I would be keen to prove to you that we are better than your first penta experience.

Ben

Write a ReviewReviews (2,708)

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Visited penta hotel with 3 friends on a girly break. Was pleasantly surprised at the modern decor and hada friendly welcome from staff. Breakfast was superb lots of selection and again a nicely decorated space. Only criticism was the room was rather basic, however considering the price we paid I think this hotel was definetely fantastic value and we would without a doubt book here again

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank karennelson00
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hi Karen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay wih us at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you back again very soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel, uber cool, got a bit of a NYC vibe on, cool hotel in a slightly run down area. Staff were fantastic, couldn't b more helpful., evening meal was really nice but a little pricey (only negative point) but I wasn't payin so I can't complain, selection at breakfast is amazin, room nice & clean. Very good location 4 bullring & station. Giv it a go, it's worth it, I will def b back 4 leisure visit

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Michael S

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with us in Birmingham.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us & I hope we will see you back again soon here at pentahotels.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Good location for function at ICC I was attending. Unfortunately I was woken up at 3.30 by returning guests on the same floor who were calling out and slamming and knocking on each other doors. The bedroom door did nothing to keep the noise out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your stay with us here in Birmingham.

I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by other guests here at the hotel, it is really difficult for us to prevent this from happening.

Perhaps if you do stay with us again you can let me know in advance and I will ensure that you are located in the quietest area of the hotel.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

great Value for money. Classy, modern place. Friendly Staff. Relaxed environment but the kettle and dryer were unpleasant and didn't work. Great location for the city Centre. We stayed for two nights and were able to watch multiple films with their variety of latest films on the lovely television.
definitely come here again. Plus the complimentary pool was fabulous.

Room Tip: Highest floor possible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank L Marie C
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your first experience at pentahotel Birmingham.

I was really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but I offer my apologies that you had an issue with the kettle & hairdryer in the room.

I will make sure the housekeeping team check this out today!

I hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful and cool hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. Really cool decor etc. Rooms comfy and clean. Will definately return and bring my mates. The pool tables are really colourful too and the bar as your check in is awesome. Excellent value for money, highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014

Hi Esther,

Thank you so much for an amazing review of your experience with us at pentahotels.

The team and I really love the property here and I am glad that you enjoyed it as much as we do.

I look forward to seeing you back with us again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the Penta whilst celebrating a friends birthday party in Birmingham, when we arrived I was put off by the lack of proper reception area, however, the warm welcome made up for that, the rooms were clean, smart and neat. The only thing I would change is the wooden door on the shower/wet room, not sure who thought that was a good idea... The restaurant/lounge on the first floor is a great space, with informal area's quiet area and a good space to to eat. The candles added a lot of atmosphere a really nice touch. breakfast was lovely, an excellent choice, well presented and ours was very fresh. Great value for money and excellent service. The drinks in the bar were very expensive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for the kind words following your stay with us.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your first pentahotel experience - we are different and this is something that people are starting to really enjoy.

I take on board your comments in regards to our beverage prices but assure you that we complete regular price checks on similar establishments in the city and we actually find ourselves to be lower than many.

I do hope that we will see you back again very soon.