“TOP Penta Hotel!”

pentahotel Birmingham
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hotel:
Penta Standard (follow scheme in all penta Hotels), modern, Young Hotel, cool design, very welcoming, Wi-Fi available throughout the hotel

Staff:
very friendly and helpful

Location:
not the best I'd say, but staid there only for an overnight and not for Sightseeing in Birmingham - so defnitely OK!

Parking:
public parking spaces at extra charge near the Hotel (as said before not the best area...we parked on the street anyway, nothing happened), Underground parking available from Penta - pretty exepensive but worth for longer stays / expensive cars...

Rooms:
excellent as in all the penta Hotels, spacious rooms, well equipped rooms/bathrooms, TV with films free of Charge, foreign channels, clean throughout

Breakfast:
richt breakfast!!!!

Rates: fare rates for travel agents!!!! should try those Hotel where available!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of your stay with us at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us & I hope that we will see you back if you return to the UK soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Arrived on Friday night straight from work for a night out in Birmingham. The hotel is about 5 -10 min walk from New Street, but upon arrival I couldn't find reception. I found the bar, walked out, tried a few other doors and returned to the bar, only to find reception is "tucked" away in the corner of the bar.

Check in was swift, and straight to the room. One thing I do not understand is why hotels use laminate flooring - especially around the bathroom area. So you leave the tiled bathroom (or wet room) and make the laminate flooring wet.. Which is great to watch others slip on! The pressure of the shower could be better, but it did the job with a nice toiletry kit!

A quick change and straight out, with a 10 min to the Hurst Street area. Opposite the hotel, there is a building with a "parlour" sign - so this may be off putting to some! There were also a group of friendly "lads" who actually enquired if i was ok and sorted for the night stood nearby. I thought how nice of them to enquire!

Returning to the hotel, we found only 1 pillow in the creaky bed! 1 pillow!! Normally there are mor in the wardrobe, but there wasn't a wardrobe! As it was late, i had to make do with a towel underneath the pillow (although this didn't help waking up with a stiff neck!)

When we booked, we booked 2 rooms for around £45 each which included breakfast.

We found breakfast to be excellent! Great choice, and quality. This actually made the stay.

We did hear another couple arrive for breakfast who hadn't got it included - and they paid £15 each! Whether i would pay that i am unsure - especially given there are plenty of alternatives close by.

On check out, we were told the room hadn't been paid for, despite a non-refundable 100% deposit being given at booking. The second room (on the same booking) had been paid for though. This is confusing - i need to check my statements just to ensure!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us.

I was sorry to read that things were not quite as perfect as I would have liked for you - especially given the comfort of your sleep.

If there are any issues at all with your payment, please do speak with me directly & I will resolve them for you immediately.

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to improve upon your first experience with us.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Whilst not by any stretch like any other chain hotel - bar is also reception desk, this hotel is great value for money. Food is amazing and young staff eager to serve guests well. Good for Alex Theatre

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Deano,

Thank you for the kind words following your stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed your experience with pentahotel Birmingham & hope that I will see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I paid a total of £103 via Trivago to stay here for a two night weekend break and we were truly amazed at everything about this hotel. The decor is amazingly funky, fashionable, stylish and relaxing- I'd love to know where I could buy some of their same furniture, fixtures and fittings! The staff just can't do enough for you and we found this after speaking to them about some noisy travellers opposite us. Straight away they asked if we would like to change rooms and we didn't have to persuade them - it was simply just their very understanding approach.
The rooms were modern, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was just simply indulgent and packed with everything my glutinous self enjoys. The late check-out especially on a Sunday means you're not rushing about but can simply go at your own pace.
It's not slap bang in the middle of Birmingham but 10 minutes walk from the train station - which is no issue considering what you actually get. It is however, less that 5 minutes walk from Harvey Nicols at the Mail Box.
The only bad points were that the other room doors slam loudly when closing which is a real nuisance and noise from the corridor seeps into the rooms. The bottom of the bathroom doors are water damaged. My girlfriend also felt that the bed was a little too firm but I disagree entirely!
Overall, the hotel is an absolute gem the price is unbelievably cheap and having had this experience, we'd happily pay much more next time!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor member,

Thank you for your review.

I am really delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us & in particular that the team looked after you so well.

I hope we will see you back again at pentahotels soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Second time I have stayed here. This time was a lot of fun. Me and a group of friends had all the fun doing the color run and then relaxing in the comfortable bar and restaurant area. We even had second throughts about heading in to town the service was so good. But the staff in the hotel booked us a taxi and even gave us some bar idea. I can not recommend this place highly enough. Captain parsnip

• Stayed: August 2014

Hi David,

Thanks for the kind words following your stay with us here at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your second stay with us & I hope that I will see you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Having booked purely on the basis that the hotel looked glamorous. It was convenient for other bars in town and was told it had on site parking which later resulted in it being full and told to park on the road that was completely covered in broken windscreen glass then told to park at the mailbox some ten minute walk away?! I was really angry at the poor customer service! Check in was slow with a long spiel about the tv, internet, breakfast, smoking rooms etc. we got to our room! Ok the shower was good, the tv was huge but it was just a travelodge (pull out bed) mattress in all honesty. If it wasn't for the bar which we frequent anyway we would of checked out there and then. The hotel is fine especially of you want to check out at 3pm.

All in all stay by all means, luxury stops on the first floor. The higher up the less noisy. They do have smoking rooms if you choose and definitely frequent the bar but do bare in mind that prices are hotel prices before you open a tab.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review of your stay.

I am sorry that you had issues with parking but I would dispute the distance from the Mailbox facility - we are a five minute walk away for those wishing for secure covered parking once our car park is full.

Our check in process does take longer than other hotels and we are not ashamed of this, we have many features that are included at no additional charge that the team are really proud to explain.

As stated in many reviews, we are soon to be installing our signature bed's across the hotel in line with a refurbished bedroom product.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our bar experience & hopefully will see that this is the style that the rest of the hotel will soon be.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

From the outside and online looks really nice but inside the actual room is just like a holiday inn room but twice the price personally would stay again as the outside and bar were the highlight instead if the room itself p

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Zarah,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay with us at pentahotel.

I am sorry that we didn't 'wow' you as I would have liked and hopefully on your next stay we can do even more to make your stay with us special.