“pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Bristol
“pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2014

Stayed here with my cousin we were both impressed with the funky decor and relaxed atmosphere friendly stayed 1 night twin room (bed a bit small tbh) nice food only reason not giving it 5 star is food and drinks very over priced still would stay again though bar is 24hr ;-) def recommend

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us a pentahotel Birmingham.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry that you felt our food & drinks are overpriced, we regulary check our price lines against similar city centre establishments & find ourselves to be at the very least, in line with these.

I am glad that you will be back again & hope to see you very soon.
Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Gloucestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2014

Stayed there for business and found the hotel to be very clean and offered good service. Conveniently located and good value for money. Wouldn’t have a problem staying there again; good budget cost hotel.

• Stayed September 2014, travelled on business

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the review of your stay with us.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at pentahotels & I hope that we will see you back again soon.

Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed here with my 3 month old daughter and husband and had a really good time at ph. The staff are friendly.. rooms are clean and we loved the lounge area and balcony. The room size seemed small and there are no cupboards or drawers this was the only downfall about the hotel we had alot of luggage due to traveling with a baby and also had a travel cot in our room so did not have much space to move

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Monika,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us & I hope that we will see you back again soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on a work trip. I was in a group of 8 people in 6 rooms. There are a number of good things about the hotel, which is why I gave it a 2 point rating instead of 1 point. It is generally clean and tidy, the staff are lovely and very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is really really good, although a little pricey, but that is not unusual for hotel food. Our room was initially missing the soaps etc that should have been provided and the telephone did not work. The soaps were quickly provided by reception but the telephone was not able to be fixed during our stay. Be warned that this hotel still allows smoking in some of its rooms. We required a wheelchair accessible room with a wet room shower. When allocated our room we were not asked about smoking vs non-smoking, but we were placed in a smoking part of the hotel. This fact was not marked or sign posted in/on our room, which is a legal requirement. At nearly midnight the people in the room next to ours started smoking and it completely filled our room with the stench. We asked to be moved rooms - it took them nearly an hour to find a new room for us and when they did it was not a wheelchair accessible room. To give them credit, they did allow us to hold the keys to both rooms so we could sleep in the smoke free one and use the wet room shower in the other, but had they informed us at the start this issue wouldn't have occurred. One of the others in my group had a shower and when she exited the bathroom found that the water had leaked not only out of the shower area but out of the bathroom and the entire floor of her room was flooded! She had to get a staff member up with a mop and bucket at midnight to clean up her room. And another in our group was given a keycard and told their room number was X but when they tried to re-enter the room after dinner there was someone else in their room and all their stuff had been taken down to reception - who informed them they had been provided the wrong room number and keycard! It was very embarrassing for everyone involved!
Also the beds are very small and not very comfortable and I could not figure out how to get the temperature control in the room to work, it may have been broken.
Overall, not a great stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am sorry that we got things wrong for you in the allocation of your room & the subsequent issues thereafter.

The team & I would really like to make amends for this & would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you in person. If you could email me directly at ben.thomas@pentahotels.com, I would hope that I can make things better for you.

Birmingham, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend in August and we were quite disappointed with our stay; firstly we found it bizarre that the reception is based within the bar and you have to stand by people who are out for a drink whilst you're waiting to check in and then have to walk through the bar whenever you want to leave or enter the hotel.

The room was small and I'm not sure what extras we got for a 'penta plus' room because the mattress was the thinnest thing I have ever slept on, the bracket for the TV was broken and therefore the TV was practically facing the floor and we couldn't access any of the music or film available on the TV for 'free' because it just wouldn't work. When we told staff about this in the morning they were disinterested and told us we should have let them know sooner, didn't fancy trying to get hold of staff on a busy Saturday night and asking to move rooms for the sake of a rubbish TV which surely housekeeping should have noticed was hanging off the wall?

The bathroom was adequate, nothing to write home about.

Room service food was very good, just about the only highlight!

Seems odd they're trying to go for an edgy, boutique vibe when they can't even get the basics right-definitely won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2014
PentaBirmingham, General Manager at pentahotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Charl88,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at pentahotel Birmingham.

It was really disappointing to see that you didn't enjoy your stay with us & I would love to get the opportunity to make things right for you.

Please do contact me directly at ben.thomas@pentahotels.com & I will be more than happy to make things right for you.

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

This is one of the latest new additions to Brum within reach of shops clubs rail. Welcome at the bar for check-in straight then for a drink. Upper lounge hip New York style to lounge. In room movies are awesome and then the breakfast. Out of this world. Where do
You start...? Staff friendly and rooms well kept too. Worth a trip. Book it!!!!

Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Danny,

Thank you for the great review of your stay with us.

It's great to see that you enjoyed your first pentahotel experience & I hope that you will be back with us again soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Got a great deal on this hotel after arriving in another in Birmingham and checking out 5 mins later!!

The rooms are nicely furbished and the wetroom glass bathroom is clean and classy. I was travelling alone and found the bed fine, with crisp, clean linen.

The food was really good and the ambience in the restaurant is great, really cool but not intimidatingly so. Breakfast was amazing...so many choices..even prosecco, shame I was working!

The staff were chatty and warm, as a lone female traveller I felt safe at the Pentahotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at pentahotel Birmingham.

I am really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us & also, as a lone traveller, you felt safe with us - this is really important to us too!

I hope to see you back again soon!