“Ideal accommodation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

City Nites
gloucester
“Ideal accommodation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Myself and three girlfriends booked in to a 2 bed with en suite bathroom for one night in April 2012. The apartment was spotlessly clean and had everything you could want/need for an overnight stay (*or even longer). Just across the road from the NIA and only a 5 minute walk from many bars and restaurants and the Mailbox, 20 minute walk from the Bull Ring. Reception was friendly and efficient and booking in/out was quick. Free Wi-Fi, fully equipped kitchen and two bathrooms, DVD, TV and a balcony! All good and would definitely stay there again, especially for the prices charged for both the apartment and parking!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor of Block A.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Work took me to Birmingham and it was my company's word of mouth that we stayed here.
I had a decent stay here.

The complex is divided into 4-5 sides - block A,B,C, & D( i do not remember seeing E though).
Block A is where the reception is.

I stayed briefly in block B and in block A - I stayed in a 2 room apartment for about 18 days and a 1 room apartment for 2 days.
Be cautious of the options of 2 bedrooms sharing 1 bathroom. We were accidentally put in one such apartment in B, we requested a change and we were immediately given 2 bath option in block A.

My friends in D did tell me that they had dishwasher too. 3 different rooms that I stayed in, I did not see any dishwasher though!

The "service" in service apartments should be looked at. i had the following observations:
1. some light points do not work, unless the guest identify the problem, the staff apparently seems unaware of the same
2. in my case, even the exhaust did not work
3. I had to ask for scissor and chopping board, it was not in the apartment but was expected.
4. Welcome pack could have a little more than tea/coffee preparation stuff (that barely last for a day - my stay was for 20+days)
5. Some sinks' stopper are flawed
6. No telephone landline in the apartment
7. Service manual for appliances not available/complete for all rooms
8. Block B has lousy wifi, in fact some of my friends ended up coming to our apartments to connect to wifi
9. Roads were being made till 1 am in the night, the noise was intolerable for 4-5 days and cause sleeplessness, no courtesy extended unless the road facing apartment guests complained.

Comparisons naturally arise when you have seen other options of better nature.

Having said all that, it is the pro-activeness and smiles of the front office staff that made the experience far better than what you could imagine after reading all things above.

Let me tell you some great things too:
1. Friendly and courteous staff - surprisingly, they remembered my name, apartment number and even knew who i was friends with.
2. My mails were attended to and handed over promptly
3. security is a bonus
4. you get 1 free car park if it is included in your package/rate
5. Very very centrally located - every taxi man knows where city nites is on Edward Street!
6. 10 minutes walk from shopping area, a minute away from NIA and sealife, another 30 seconds and you can be taking a stroll on the canal side
7. 10 minutes walk to 24 hr tesco on summer hill

Room Tip: If you need a good night rest, ask for rooms that do not face roads. If NIA has a concert, you bet t...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PreetiParti
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed here for one night after going to the NIA to see Chris Rea, the hotel is situated right opposite. It is also right by the canal where you can walk for miles or take a trip on a barge. Sea life is a 5minute stroll away. I travelled by train and the hotel is about 10-15minute walk from New Street station. There are loads of restaurants close by and all tastes are catered for.

The hotel itself: Reception staff were very efficient and had us checked in within a short time. You do have to pay a returnable deposit of £250 providing there is no damage to the room it is returned upon checkout. Checkout was a bit slower because they have to check the room before giving the deposit back. The room is fully equipped with everything you need to cater for yourself, it is like home from home. You have a kitchen/diner/ living room with 2 double settees and a flat scrren tv. cooker and full size fridge. The free internet access was really good. We had 2 bedrooms, one being en suite. They are a good size with a 6ft bed in each. The rooms were clean along with all the corridors and lift. There wasn't much in the way of traffic noise, but I could hear a train blowing it's warning horn. When you leave the room you have to remember to lock it, as it doesn't lock automatic. They have parking at a charge.

Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend: Yes
Would I stay here again: Definately

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here as a last minute trip . The staff were excellent , nice secure parking at a reasonable rate , nicely equipped spacious apartment . We were upgraded free of charge which was much appreciated !
Checkout was very easy and staff were very friendly . Great alternative to a hotel right next to the NIA and brindley place . Go and check it out !

• Stayed March 2012
West Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We have stayed at City Nites 4 times before so, when we were visiting the NIA again, we couldn't decide whether to return to City Nites as it was looking a little shabby and need of refubishment the last time we were there. We decided to return as we know it and its so convenient for the NIA and local restaurants and pubs.
When we arrived, we were told we had been upgraded , at no extra cost, to a suite.
Wow! It was fabulous. 2 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, windows everywhere. It was beautiful. All on its own on the top floor and a total surround terrace looking out across Birmingham. We thought we'd won the Lotto.
Now we've been spoiled and I will have to investigate how much the suite is next time we book.
One niggle was that the bedding was the thickness of an After Eight mint and it was a little chilly. We did find another cover in the cupboard, though, and I'm sure Reception would have found more if needed.

Room Tip: Check out the price of a suite. They are worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
St Andrews, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here on a business trip to the NEC. We were bumped out of other apartments due to overbooking so this was not my first choice. We had wanted to stay nearer New Street Station so that we could walk there and these apartments are a good mile away from the station. We also thought when we arrived that we had been posted to the middle of nowhere as we couldn't see on any maps how to cross the canal to get to Brindley Place. However on night 2 we ventured up the road and round the side of the NIA and found the way across to civilisation at Bridley Place and Broad Street. Taxis to the city centre cost about £7 and only take 10 mins.
The apartment was spacious and well equiped (except no dishwasher) and very quiet at night. I found my bed a bit lumpy (it was 2 singles strapped together with no mattress topper) and I don't think the duvet would have been big enough for two people.
Free wi-fi was good. The kitchen could have been a bit cleaner and we washed some of the crockery before using it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Lancashire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Love the idea of appartments rather than hotels mainly due to space....bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen. I also love the idea of coffee, made in a mug with fresh milk!!

This wasn't the best appartment I'd stayed in though.....Main moan would be the curtains, ill fitting and very cheap and thin allowing light in. Lights that didn't work.
It also hadn't been cleaned very well and I smelled smoke as soon as I walked into it, drink ring marks on bedside cabinets and a smelly bed throw. The cream coloured carpet was also really grubby - why didn't they have a mat at the front door?

Cheap and a great location.....but certainly not luxury.

There's 'Pay & Display' car parking all around which is free between 6pm and 8am.....a little cheaper than the £10 per day car parking.
The advertised 'use of a local gym' will also set you back £10 per day :(