“Hmmm...next time coffee”

Cafe Rouge - Birmingham Mailbox
Ranked #131 of 2,199 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, View, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: Upstairs at the Mailbox, and a stone's throw from Harvey Nichols, this Rouge has a gorgeous outside sun terrace to dine on and a private dining area which caters for up to 40 people for parties or meetings. And as it's "the Mailbox" there's also an authentic Parisian post-box right by the entrance (to pop your love letters in?) and a deliciously decadent wine cellar showcasing our extensive range of French wines and Champagnes.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Hmmm...next time coffee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves especially in the middle of my exams...

So as you understand I'm a student and for this place you can have a discount coupon. Therefore, we chose this one. So far so good.

The place is located just next to the canal which is a big plus in sunny days when you can have your lunch and relax at the same time from the scenery.

The place looked really nice in the inside as well and the staff was polite and patient. It felt like one more waiter would have made a difference in terms of service availability. Perhaps we came relatively late.

The table was not entirely clean. But I should say that observing other tables made me realise that we just had a bad luck with this one.

Foodwise: Average minus. And the problem from my view is especially with the menu because what it says is not necessarily what you get.
My experience was that I asked for baked salmon and they pretty much fried it. The waiter went back and asked the cook and returned saying it is baked and that the cook had to put some oil before it had gone to the oven...all I can say is that I should have photo it. The waiter did ask if I want to replace it so thumbs up for that one. Nonetheless, it took the order long enough to arrive for appreciating that by the time I would have got the next order my wife would have finished hers.

The salad beneath the salmon was dry and I mean nothing besides the vegies. Fair enough for those who wish to watch their calories intake, so why not bringing olive oil salt and pepper? It looked like two seperate dishes.

My wife's dish was better but rather small one for a main course (her words).

We finally had two small desserts to compensate the experience. It was...
average

All in all, next time I'll stick to the coffee which was good...

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A non experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Visited for lunch with my 10 year old. They have the gift of a great setting overlooking the canal & The Cube...CBSO playing on the terrace below,. However the food & service was distinctly average. Ordered fish cakes & frites for myself & chicken goujons & frites from the kids menu. Nowhere did it say that the frites would be plastered in paprika..even the kids(never had this in France)...completely spoilt. We asked for the bill at the same time as ordering the kid's sweet of bananas & custard. They brought the bill, I paid and yet 15 minutes later, the complicated dessert had not arrived!! We left without receiving it. Pretty rubbish really...wasn't even busy!

• Visited August 2014
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely food but service a little slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a late lunch/early dinner and the restaurant was not overly busy but there was a business party finishing off at the other end of the room. We ordered drinks and these had still not arrived when another member of staff came to take our food order and again offered us drinks. She chased them up and they were duly delivered. The food itself was good and hot. According to the Love To Shop website, Cafe Rouge accepted the Love To Shop gift card but the staff could not make it work. Lager was a reasonable price but the wine by the glass seemed expensive.

• Visited August 2014
Evesham
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I decided to go to Cafe Rougé with my boyfriend for breakfast. The waitress was very polite. Food came very quick and was gorgeous. I chose an omelet with salmon in with rosemary Wedges and a freshly squeeze orange juice with ice. Best omelet I have ever had! was beautiful with flavour and was a very nice morning! I would definitely recommend going there.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Pleasant lunch overlooking the Canal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I had lunch with a friend at this restaurant and we chose seats overlooking the canal. We both chose burgers from the main menu rather than the 'menu rapide' together with a soft drink. The restaurant was quiet but had a positive atmosphere and the waitress serving us was pleasant and attentive. The meals a arrived speedily and were well presented. I hadn't eaten a burger for over 12 months and this may have contributed to my overall enjoyment of this very tasty meal. At £10+ per burger it isn't McDonald's prices, but then you get what you pay for and the burger was delicious with little or no fat, as too was the salad I chose as an accompaniment. Would I eat here again - yes, especially if I can download a voucher for 25% discount!

Visited August 2014