“Exquisite food and service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Loves Restaurant - CLOSED

Loves Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Hagley, United Kingdom
“Exquisite food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We went to celebrate a big birthday and opted for the £55 taster menu with wine. The service throughout was fantastic and the food was consistently creative, tasty and beautifully presented. The food is almost impossible to fault. For me they lose a star for the environment. The restaurant is a bit dreary and not upmarket enough for the quality of the food (in my opinion). Plus I personally wouldn't opt for the wine pairing next time as I felt the servings were too small for the price and they have a great wine list - I think I'd rather choose my own.

I'd definitely recommend and will go back.

Visited July 2014

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The most amazing meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went here for my birthday and had the most amazing meal, the best meal I've ever had I would say. I don't normally write reviews but just had to share how wondeful this restaurant was. The food was absolutely gorgeous and the service was just as impressive. Sometimes I've found that with really nice restaurants there has been a certain snobbery and that you almost feel like you're not that welcome or the clientele they want. Our experience here couldn't have been further from this, we were made to feel so welcome and when we asked for some help with the best wine to order, we were recommended the most lovely (and reasonably priced) wine and given some samples to try before we chose. The food and service was outstanding and for any regular Birmingham diners, or those from outside the area, I consider it an absolute must to go to.

1 Thank Lisa H
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
“Superb culinary experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

First time we had visited the restaurant although recommended by many of our friends (and some of them chefs or just plain fussy!!). Opted for the taster menu at £55 and was not disappointed at all. The food was just beautiful and portions appropriate. Flavours were amazing and of course, presentation to match.
Our only disappointment was the limited a la carte options if you didn't want either of the taster menus (£75 or £55) - just 3 starters, mains and desserts. One of the starters was pork and one of the mains also pork, so if you were not a lover of that meat then the options reduced to two!
In addition, no olives were available for my martini which was very surprising at a restaurant of this level but neither of these points detracted from the overall meal experience.
The restaurant is tucked away from the main thorough fair but only 5 or so minutes walk from lots of action at Brindley Place - if you want it!
Thoroughly recommend to all you foodies out there.

1 Thank TracyH791
West Midlands
“a hidden treasure in Birmingham”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was our second visit. We had a wonderful evening. Staff were attentive and charming. Claire's wine knowledge was second to none, a true ambassador for the English wine industry. We ate from the a large carte menu , each dish was stunning, the dark chocolate and pear dessert was a lesson We have eaten at many great restaurants around the world, many with michelin stars. Loves is up there with the best of them. We will be back.

1 Thank Ann_Andy101009
“What a hidden gem, absolutely top notch.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

In short, fabulous.

The food was quite honestly some of the best I've eaten, anywhere. We plumbed for the 10 course taster menu and accompanying wine selection. I genuinely do not have a negative word to say.

The food was utterly wonderful. Perfect size courses, visually beautiful without being ostentatious, and the wine was equally as perfect - if not even more enjoyable than the food!

The sommelier was also, in my humble opinion, a perfect example. Knowledgable, passionate, good humoured, and extremely aware of when and when not to interrupt the conversation.

Lastly, the location. It is simultaneously it's secret weapon and it's Achilles heal. A hundred yards back up the canal and this place would be full 24/7 I expect. As it was, on a Friday night, there were probably no more than 14 covers all night.
However, this was also part of its charm. In the heart of Birmingham, in a fabulous virtually unknown wharf (to everyone apart from the 20 or so narrow boats and over-looking flat dwellers) encompassing both modern living and industrial history, and hardly a soul about.

Could be my new favourite place in Brum in fact

1 Thank Chris T