“Good food, service needs improvement ”
Review of Akbars

Akbars
Ranked #461 of 2,379 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Edgbaston
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited this establishment on a Saturday night. We arrived quite late from our residential address in London and fancied a meal before heading back to our hotel.
We entered at 23:30 and found there to be ample parking available. We were shown to our table by the waiter and proceeded to order our drinks first, before being asked for our starter and mains choice.
The waiter then took another couples order (who sat after us) before returning and asking what we had chosen.
I explained I was dissatisfied with the service so far and was annoyed that it had taken so long to take my order. I requested to be moved to a booth as the restaurant was emptying out and space had become available.
We ordered lamb chops for starters and these were very succulent and well proportioned. With salad as a side accompanying the dish.
The mains we choose were chicken saag and naan. The saag was lovely and well cooked, the taste and aroma were superb. The naan was massive and we both shared the one naan as it was so big.
Tap water is available foc and there is an extensive alcohol choice available.
The price of the food is good and the decor, ambiance is very pleasant and up market.
I would certainly recommend this restaurant and will visit again.
Ps Saturday night is not the best time to order food quickly.
Overall very good/excellent value for money and very good food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,203)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Went here on xmas day 2013, thought it will be a change,very disappointing with the whole experience. waiters starring at you, making your feel uncomfortable.Food was not tasty either, will never go agsin.

3  Thank susanchadda
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We went to Akbar's at half 5 on a Friday night, in a group of 4. We had a 5 minute wait and were shown to our table, which was right in the middle of the restaurant. The decor was really nice, there were couples and families eating, the food smelled amazing. Our waiter was very helpful and suggested a few balti's, one of which my husband ordered. We all ordered something different and tasted each others, they were delicious with fresh herbs and plenty of meat. We had rice to share and a family man bread, needless to say, the nan bread defeated us! Beer and wine were a good price, as was the food. £70 for 4 including beers and a bottle of wine. Pay a visit, you'll love it!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Everyone who visits Birmingham must visit Akbar's, The food is sublime, the flavours intertwine with your taste buds, a group of us went after a gruelling day of meetings and arrived at 7:30, the place was heaving, I had Chicken Tikka Chilli Balti.....WOW I can still taste it now! And I am going back no doubt

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Thought the service and the food was great. An enjoyable evening. Would recommend. There was a wait for 45 minutes due to it being a Saturday night but it didn't spoil the mood.