“Fantastic Indian food, maybe the best had yet”
Review of Akbars

Akbars
Ranked #311 of 2,202 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Pakistani
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Edgbaston
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Indian food, maybe the best had yet”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Would recommend to anyone! All four dishes that the table had were amazing and then naan was huge and delicious. Worth making a detour to, not to be missed.

• Visited August 2014

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
“Family Birthday Celebrations ”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I have been to Akbar's Birmingham and other sites up north for some years now.

Family of 25 were celebrating a birthday. We were given a table promptly and drinks were served in a timely manner as we have come to expect from Akbars.
Food quality has always been great but on this occasion I have to be honest was not at all what I'm used to. Flavours, presentation of dishes just wasn't there! There was also I sense of urgency to get us all done quickly even though the Resturant wasn't anywhere as busy as I have known it in the past. 20+ starters were ready and served in 15mins! Same with main course once starters had been cleared.

Overall the party went on ok but, Akbars had always set a standard for others to follow being from the heartland of Curry Town in Bradford. I hope they can improve very soon and back to the level they attained when they came to Birmingham only I few years ago!!

Give it a go if you've not been there before still better than most curry houses but for those who have been before maybe can agree with me. There have been some changes and not for the better !!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Style over substance..... Generic curry sauces!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

In my experience and view this is overrated place, nice decor but that's bout it, really. Food was average, same generic sauces for curry unfortunately. Ridiculous naan bread hangers. Hang your naan bread in these silly metal antlers. Which make your already thin crispy naan cold and stiff. Tried the tandoori rabbit, guess what it tasted like chicken..... He he he. No seriously small bites of meat quite tough, I think it had been over cooked, as was really chewy and dry. Don't really recommend it as service was poor as well. Generally disappointed, won't really go there again, sad as decor was nice...........

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank HRHarry
London, United Kingdom
“Great place and Great food”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This place had excellent customer service and great food. no problems whatsoever and the rose petals was a great touch. Ambience was great too.

Visited August 2014
Telford, United Kingdom
“Reliable. ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Been here plenty of times and has the rare feel you don't often get in an Indian restaurant as it is part of a group so they follow a basic recipe.

I have left Akbars in the past very satisfied....However my review reflects my most recent visit which unfortunately questioned my loyalty towards this usually much reliable establishment.

I had one of their signature starters. ..The chicken nambali. ...contains chicken breast pieces with melted cheese and griddled veg. Both me and my friend had scarce amount of chicken and not worth it.

For main course I had one of my favourites. ..chicken chilli. It was a very mediocre dish on this occasion with no difference between my friends balti chicken.

Desserts were reasonably priced as with the rest of the menu it is quite reasonable in price. Service depends on personal experience on which waiter you get and mine was a bit unfriendly. My visit was during a busy period and I shall give Akbars another chance in the future in hope that the last couple of visits don't reflect their usual decent quality.