“Our funeral reception, Different place?”
Review of The Old Farm Hotel

The Old Farm Hotel
Ranked #8 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I live in Bourneville not too far away from the Old farm Hotel. I have not used trip advisor in the past but i had a funeral buffet held at the old farm hotel as it was recommended to me by the funeral directors we used. I wanted to see what people were saying about the rooms as i have people coming to stay from out of town and The Old Farm Hotel seems like the perfect place for me to put them, so was told to look up trip advisor to help me with my decision.
On logging on to the site and finding the page for the old farm hotel I was very surprised on what i found. The Below comment shocked me the most, as this is an experience we have shared and i feel i should say something about it...
It cannot be the same hotel that we went to, as the hotel i booked and had my family members funeral at was nothing but helpful and really made the day easier for everyone to relax. I was surprised to read the comment about the “surprisingly high charge” for the buffet food as the way i saw it was it was very reasonable, The customer below did not mention that the Hire of the room for 3 hours and endless tea and coffee and cold squash for the children was also included in the price. To be honest i phoned around all different sorts or halls and social clubs and all together the price of the hotel was not as high as some places were charging when you take into account the other things. We did not run out of food and there was a lot of people there, in the end there was a lot of food left (and i come from a family of good eaters) so we were offered bags to put the food in and take it home so it didn’t go to waste.
We booked our funeral for a party of 40 people, I will honestly say that the bar was very full and there was only the one member of staff on the bar (as the bar would not fit 2), but the girl behind the bar calmly worked through the crowd and everyone got there drink.. The bar was not always tended to when the crowd slowed and started eating as there were actually only 2 members of staff on but both were either clearing plates or serving tea and coffee so it was not hard to find them to ask for a drink. The bar was not ‘closed’ at any point even when we stayed a hour over the booking time... This we were not charged for when i came to pay the bill but i was surprised to see that the bill had come to less than what i estimated as the staff had counted people in and i had 42 guests, when i queried this the girl explained that the more guests, the less the price so i am confused on how the Price had doubled for other attending guests.

So i felt i had to say something so that one persons point of view does not taint this hotel as something it is not, and as previously said “members of the public should be aware of the treatment they are likely to receive at this establishment”.

Room Tip: For something not too much, homely and relaxed.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank LucyBBirmingham

Reviewed 13 December 2011

My family booked a function room at this hotel for a reception /wake following the funeral of my sister-in-law at a tragically young age.

We ordered a cold buffet and, as their charge p/p was surprisingly high, we estimated for the minimum number of guests we thought would be attending. All those who attended were singularly unimpressed with the food, which was not what we had expected from a supposedly professional catering venue. Poor range, and small quantites of everything. Everyone had difficulty obtaining drinks at the bar, which was only attended for a short time after we arrived then closed.

In the event, more people than we expected came back to the reception. On settling the bill on leaving with the manageress, I was presented with a bill for close to DOUBLE the quotation and I was MORTIFIED at the amount.

When I said there must be a mistake, the manageress informed me that more than the original anticipated number of guests had arrived and that she'd taken it on herself to count them and provide a further measly plate of cheap sandwiches for each further person - totally without any consultation whatsoever with myself, as organiser, who had volunteered to meet the cost on behalf of everyone else.

I was EXTREMELY angry and upset when confronted with this example of callous profiteering from someone else's grief - I was too distracted by our bereavement to argue with the manageress, and couldn't burden my family with news of this exploitation on a day when we were already so upset - I just bit my tongue and paid. I have still only told two members of my family, one of whom convinced me that members of the public should be aware of the treatment they are likely to receive at this establishment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank FrequentTravellerGB
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Comfortable room. Choice of bedding - sheets and blankets as well as duvet. Hot shower. Toiletries provided. Good breakfast.
Will certainly be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gas_61
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Rather disappointed by the Old Farm Hotel, rooms are small, price is high for whet you get and the bar is dreadful, a few assorted chairs, very tatty...
Breakfast was good and the staff pleasant.
I am a wheelchair user and when we checked we were told they had an adapted room. It was adapted but not well, no aids (or space) in the room and few aids in the bathroom. When I say small, we had to park my wheelchair in the shower!
Second-rate in everyway

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank josiow
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed the night due to a family party just down the road. We had a warm welcome and we stayed in room 1 at the top of the stairs. Room was lovely and cosy as we were only there to sleep in really. ( The bed was really comfortable). My boyfriend was abit disapointed about the telly cos when we arrived we had some time to kill but the television signal wasnt very good but still was able to watch something. In the morning we had a warm welcome into the dining room and we got offered food. We would defo stay again if need be :) I would recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jessikka05
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Stayed at the old farm during a business trip to Birmingham, mainly due to the location (a two minute walk from the train station). For the price I wasn't expecting much so to my surprise, and delight, the hotel blew my expectations out of the water. The room was comfy and spacious as well as well presented, the staff we helpful and willing to go that extra mile and the manager/owner was friendly, accessible, and cooked the most amazing, homely, meals imaginable (all for a reasonable price too). I would highly recommend the hotel, and have done so to several colleagues, and will be staying here whenever I need a hotel in Birmingham.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Hurtlocker86
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Stayed here for 3 days as I was on a training course. Booked the hotel due to its location to the course. I am so glad I did, The welcome was warm and friendly,I got the room at the top of the stairs. It was cozy, the facilities spotless. The bed was so comfy I slept really well. The fact I was on a stressfull course it was so nice to come back to my hotel room to relax. The eveing meals and breakfasts are to die for. This is small run hotel, so don't expect staff in bell boy uniforms, The staff are about, ring the bell if you need them. Nothing was a problem. All in all, I have been to posher hotels and left feeling cheated. I spent 3 days here and ate like a King.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business