“Brilliant food”
Review of The Old Farm Hotel

The Old Farm Hotel
Ranked #9 of 56 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I booked this for my Mothers 90th birthday party. Jane was really helpful in the build up, and several guests stayed in the rooms for a discounted price. The day of the party was wonderful. The staff were brilliant. Very helpful and unobtrusive. The food was to die for. Wonderfully cooked, hot and very tasty. We had lamb which can be overlooked often, but it was perfect. Would highly recommend anyone to book.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank whizzyBirmingham

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was expecting the rooms pictured on the website, so my heart sank as we were shown our room. Brown, 70s decor, padded wallpaper, melamine worktop with turned pine edging. A strip of space around the bed, not even enough room for a bedside table on the side of the bed that wasn't shoved into the corner - (I think this should perhaps be a single room). Carpet in the bathroom is always a worry. The bedside lights (not actually to the side as there was no room) became burning hot. A very tired establishment. Bedrooms not as described or photographed on the website. Hence this rating. Many dried ropey 'arrangements' around which didn't really disguise the fundamental flaws. There were only 2 people staying, the website showed 3 nice rooms, so why were we put in this? The bedding is sheets and blankets, with an uncovered duvet sandwiched between the blankets - all rather cumbersome. There was a duvet under the bottom sheet, presumably to disguise a lumpy old mattress, it did make it comfy (once I had pulled the sheet down so that it reached the end of the mattress) but really, it is the sort of thing your granny does, and you don't expect it where you are paying!
It wasn't all bad, it was very clean and the sheets were pure cotton, white ironed, nice (shame though that there was no duvet cover) - and the table cloths were cotton too. The breakfast waitress was sunny and chatty, the bacon was good, the breakfast was adequate and well cooked, what you would expect - and there were fresh blueberries, an unexpected delight. It was warm and had plenty of hot water. There was a sachet of shampoo (and other products), and was was grateful for them as I had forgotten mine. The location in beautiful Bournville was excellent, 10 minutes to the station on foot past the wonderful Cadbury factory buildings and a short ride into Birmingham New Street, so very handy. A stone's throw from Cadbury World, so great if you are bringing the kids (though I don't think I would bring mine to stay here). Sorry, I don't like saying all of this, and I have avoided writing it because the breakfast girl was so sweet, and I would hate to put her job on the line, but I just feel so cheated, we hardly ever go away, and it was supposed to be a treat, but it was just so disappointing. If you really don't care about decor, or space, or aesthetics or newness you will probably think it is fine and I'm just an old trout!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you decide to stay, and peek under the sheets too.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nantgwynfaen
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We have just returned home from 2 nights spent at this hotel. I booked a family room for myself and my 2 children. The room was lovely with a double and a single bed. Very clean with a small but perfectly formed bathroom with a spacious shower. The boys loved having a TV in the bedroom. We overlooked the gorgeous garden. The staff were extremely friendly. The bar was not always staffed and we were informed by another guest (a regular) that they operate on a honesty basis, so if it is not staffed you can serve yourself ( a price list is provided). The staff are only a room away in the kitchen off the dining room so are there if needed. The evening meals were very plentiful and beautifully cooked. The breakfasts were delicious with both a breakfast buffet and cooked breakfast on offer. The hotel is directly opposite Cadbury World (the reason for our visit) and less than 10 minutes walk from the train station. We will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Had a wedding just down the road , stayed here, very friendly had a good sized car park,rooms were big enough with good shower facilities,rooms were clean on arrival. Standard prices on drinks ,breakfast in the morning was cooked nicely but i thought could have been a little bigger in my opinion .
All in all great place to stay
would stay there again in the future
thanks

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Home made jam. Spotless starched white table cloths, Greek yoghurt and a decent full English. Rooms on the small side but warm and clean. Evening meal was home cooked with a good choice of vegetables. ( although expensive) hotel wine list could be improved - suggest BYO. I and my family would use this hotel again if I was staying in Brum. 10 mins walk to Bournville train station, hotel has good parking and is well worth a look at.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Had an overnight here booked by a friend on someone else's recommendation! Very good choice great location- just across the road from the Cadbury factory.. Good clean room, very well keep, very clean and tidy with a quaint " rustic" garden. The hotel looked like it had been lifted straight from the country and dropped in the city. Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone and will book it again for sure on our next visit to "brum"

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My boyfriend and I staryed here with our daughter yesterday night as we visited Cadbury's World and it was a lovely place to stay. There was a nice warm atmosphere and the staff gave the place a personal touch. The room was lovely and well decorated, beds were comfy and the breakfast was great this morning with a large range of food. We thought it as fantastic value for money too. It's a great place to stay if you are visiting Cadbury's World as it is the closest hotel :)

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 and it was nice and quiet for us.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family