“Lovely weekend spend here.”
Review of The Old Farm Hotel

The Old Farm Hotel
Ranked #10 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
“Lovely weekend spend here.”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend have just got back from staying at the lovely old farm hotel. We went for the weekend to go to Cadbury world and wanted to stay somewhere as we traveled quite far. We have stayed at lots of hotels all over the country but we were after a change so I was thrilled when I stumbled across old farm as it's a 2min walk from Cadbury world.
As soon as you walk in to the b&b it has a nice vibe and a lovely homely feel.
The owner Jane welcomed us and she is so nice and chatty. She showed us around and told us of some nice local restaurants we could go to.
Our room was nice and cosy and and it had hot drinking facilities in the room.....the Cadbury hot choc was a nice touch. Our bed was really comfy and I slept amazingly. There's a book in the room that has some local attractions in which is good if you don't know the area. There is a hair dyer in the room in the room which is good for is ladies! Plus it's a small thing but I liked that there were lots of plus in the room to plug phone chargers in etc.

The garden at the hotel was beautiful and is defiantly worth sitting outside and enjoying a drink.

The bar was perfect and had all the essentials. They run an honesty policy so if there isn't a member if staff around then you serve yourself and wrote down what you had.

The breakfast was yummy, we had an English breakfast which was just the right size and nice bread for the toast. They had lots of fresh juices and all my fave fruit and yogurt/cereals so there is something for everyone.

The staff our fantastic and really nice and chatty and nothing is too much trouble.

We are a young couple and we really enjoyed staying here. It is a place to stay for all ages and we would stay here again in a heartbeat as it's chilled out and good value for money.

Thank you so much for having us we had a fab weekend.

Love Sammy & Mark

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sammy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have been visiting Birmingham, to spend a week with clients, twice a year for the last 22 years. In that time I think I have tried just about every hotel in south-west Birmingham. For the first 5 years I suffered all sorts of horrible hotels until my client recommended that I try the Old Farm Hotel. What a Godsend; I thank my client to this day.

The Old Farm Hotel is set in the Bournville Village (established and owned by the Cadbury family). It is therefore, to all intents and purposes, a listed building. This greatly limits what can be done with the building. However it is a warm, welcoming, family-run small hotel - a true "home from home". About half of the 12 bedrooms are aimed at the many visiting contractors working at Cadbury or Cadbury World. The other rooms are more suitable for couples or small families.

The hotel has a small, but well stocked bar which operates on an "honesty" basis (help yourself and write down what you have had). Often a longer visiting guest will be happy to polish their skills as a temporary barman.

The food is absolutely excellent. For breakfast there is a buffet of juices, cereals, fruit and yoghurts and then the cooked breakfast consists of whatever you ask for. For dinner there is a short menu - normally 2 or 3 starters, 3 main courses and 4-5 puddings. I have never had a bad meal at the Old Farm Hotel.

The en suite rooms are fairly basic but comfortable with tea and coffee facilities and a TV (mine was a 32" wall-mounted set so I didn't need my glasses to watch it!).

One guest mentioned that it was cold in winter. That can be true but each room has a supplementary electric heater for the really cold spells and some of the bedrooms have thick, insulating Roman blinds as well as the thick curtains. Jane, the owner, is gradually upgrading the bedrooms and I have never had any cause to complain..

Reading the other reviews of this hotel it is clear that the vast majority of guests share my positive views of this nice little hotel. A few of the reviews are, frankly, very strange - to the extent that I wonder if they were at the same hotel. One said that their room was not properly cleaned. I find that very strange as I have never encountered this in the last 17 years. One said that their room smelt strongly of cooked breakfasts. Ignoring the fact that all kitchens have to have very good air extraction systems I haven't even smelled cooked breakfast when sat in the restaurant, next to the kitchen - waiting for my breakfast.

One criticised the fact that the hotel room's TV was too small. For goodness sake - get a life! The hotel is on the junction of Linden Road and Bournville Avenue. The Linden Road is pretty busy during the day but traffic noise subsides after the evening rush hour and is generally pretty quiet between late evening and early morning.

In recent years there have been a few occasions when I could not get a room at the Old Farm Hotel and I was forced to try the surrounding hotels. They haven't improved; the Old Farm is still the best.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main part of the building tend to be the larger ones. Ask, when you book, I am sur...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Robert G
London
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We just got back from staying here for 3 nights so we could see our son at uni. The location is great in lovely Bournville, opposite Cadburys and 10 mins walk from station. We just left the car in the hotel car park whilst we trained and walked everywhere. The hotel is old and dated and could do with an update in all respects. Not to ruin its period charm but to make it more suitable for modern guests. It does have wifi which worked fine for us once we found out the code. An information book in the room would have helped. Breakfast was 7-9, which is too early for us when not working. I also found it a small breakfast with plain ingredients, but adequate. My wife was concerned that the bathroom did not appear to be cleaned each day and the room was dusty. The room was quirky and had a nice view of the lovely garden, but was noisy due to Cadburys lorries. The bathroom needs updating as the shower was not a power shower, wooden toilet seat (yuk) and carpet on floor. The bar had a poor selection of drinks. I dont know why an independent place cant do good wine (small bottles of echo falls on shelf is very poor) and unusual beers (bottled even rather than draught carling). They didnt even have a fridge to keep anything cold, such as coke and wine. The staff were pleasant, especially the bubbly blond lady that appeared to run the place and the young girls and handy man. However, the other lady should not be allowed near customers. She is curt and just shy of out right rude.
Overall its a shame the place does not try a little harder to be better because it could be good. A better welcome and departure process, nice wines, well sourced food for breakfast (not a supermarket), slightly more modern decor, clean rooms every day. Thats not much to ask these days is it.

Room Tip: we had number 6 and was probably the best as had double and single beds, plus at back.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anthony H
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed in the hotel for a short weekend in the middle of november. The building is really quirky and with interesting period features. Bournville is a lovely setting and you have the train station within walking distance if you did want to spend some time in the city centre. We went around to visit family living in the bournville area and therefore it was a delight. The only issue we had is that the hotel does not seem to be prepared for the cold weather. There is no double glazing and rather and a quilt the rooms have only sheets and blankets. Needless to say it was not warm enough in the middle of november. I think that in the interest of preserving period features it would be good if the central heating could be adjusted accordingly or complemented with electric heaters and quilts. All in all, I would recommend this hotel in the summer!

Room Tip: Ask for electric heating and quilts if you are travelling in the winter/Autumn or take your own in e...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sepia71
Tywyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

What a delightful discovery this small family run hotel was for a trip to Bourneville over the weekend. A lovely homely atmosphere to this place and we were made to feel very welcome, suited our needs perfectly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed for one Saturday night to celebrate a 25th Wedding Anniversary. The Old Farm Hotel Reception is a little tired - but do not let that put you off. Our room was nicely appointed with a view over the garden. The Hotel hosted the luncheon for the happy couple (approx 30 souls) which was very good indeed. Especially with the opportunity, if the weather is fine, to sit in the garden. Can recommend the lamb roast. All in all a lovely weekend in a smoothly quietly run bed and breakfast hotel.

Room Tip: No 6 was good. White crisp linen, a fresh flower in the room. This together with the warm welcome...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Nice little B&B with dated decor (suited to the house).
Front of house were very busy when we arrived and we were quickly given keys and forgotten about.

Rooms are a little cramped and beds are ok, although it was April they felt very cold and we turned the heating up to full.
Very clean throughout the room and bathrooms.

Breakfast saw a nice althoguh small selection (fruit ran out very quickly, regardless of the fact we went at the start of the breakfast service). We both had the veg breakfast as we don't eat pork and this was very small indeed.

Would have liked to give this review a good rating although I am not sure it really warrants a very good!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family