“Lone Traveller”

Blackburn, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lone Traveller”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I'm a lone business traveller who stays at the nearby Holiday Inn on a frequent basis. The food and service at this restaurant are second to none. All the staff are friendly and do their utmost to ensure your dining experience is a pleasurable one. The food itself is of a high exceptional quality, I have dined at various Indian restaurants all over the UK with this one ranking in my top 5!!! As already stated I usually dine alone however I have on several occasions dined with colleagues & customers some of whom have come from overseas and all have enjoyed their experience at the Basmati.
I don't understand anyone who would recommend the Harvester next door as this is a far cry from what you would describe as an enjoyable meal. The food is greasy, service is lousy and the noise on busy nights is just horrendous. The Holiday Inn restaurant is passable but the service is appalling and the cost quite unjustifiably expensive.
With regards to cost at the Basmati it can be as expensive or inexpensive as you like, I usually forgo a starter but sometimes have poppadoms, main course with rice & an excellent chilli naan or chappati washed down with 2 pints of Kingfisher or a glass of red wine which sets me back about £20-£25 including a tip.
For a relaxing meal at the end of the working day you'll be hard pressed to find a better alternative within the area of Great Barr.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for the comments you have made and we appreciate the time you have taken out to submit the review.
As a restaurant, we are continuously striving to improve our quality of food and service and reviews like yours encourage us to do so.
Furthermore, we appreciate the support you have given us against a previous review and thank you for the loyalty and honesty you have shown us.

Newport, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Good food, service and reasonably priced. Menu was varied, also good atmosphere in restaurant.
Enjoyable time spent there.

Visited August 2014

Croydon, United Kingdom
“Only if there's nowhere else and Harvester is closed should you go here”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly, watch the ramp outside, I almost slipped and put my back out. Why anyone would put shiny tiles on a ramp is beyond me.

I would agree with some other comments that the manager is very sour faced and put me on edge all evening. Not sure what's wrong with him but he shouldn't bring it work as he simply put me off my meal pacing around the joint like speedy gonzales and served your food into your dish without asking!

Their naans are typical stodgy type and therefore over filling.

Their byriani was full of a strange spice that was over powering and made the dish inedible. I think it was tumeric.

I asked for hot curry but I have never eaten hot as these people made it. I'm Asian myself and have been eating hot curries all my life. I think they simply added red chilli powder to my curry and forgot to measure it - it was like a hot curry challenge, pointless and inedible.

Starters were ok but came with very sweet sauce that was not exactly complimentary to the food.

It was passable but I wouldn't come back again if I had the choice and for £36 for one inc two beers (starter, rice, curry & naan) it's not cheap.

1 Thank Mr1977
tajbir, Manager at Basmati Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dine with us if you will only provide constructive criticism rather than attempting to sabotage our business and loyal customers through your unrealistic and negative influence.

Firstly,we do not agree with the conclusion you have made on our service, food and atmosphere as we have never experienced such a baseless review based on someone's narrow thoughts.

Further to your review I have conducted an investigation and found that you were were a lone customer and as a result we provided you with one of our best tables in order to make you feel as comfortable as possible given that it was an incredibly busy time in the restaurant.
You mentioned that you agree with other reviews which provide negative comments of our staff and service, however, we are yet to find any reviews which match your presumptions. 94% of our customers praise our food, quality and service however, it seems you have failed to understand such reviews and instead instigated an attack on our business and staff which was both unwarranted and provided no realistic reflection of your experience.
Secondly, you mentioned your bill was £36 based on a main course, nan and couple of round of beers but again you have deliberately misinformed our diners that you have had a starter, two main course, 3 garlic nans and 2 beers which was very reasonable to be £36 pound in good restaurant. Following your review another customers also provided a review targeting your criticism of our price. He made it clear that you can dine at Basmati enjoying all we have to offer for a reasonable price of £20 which includes a starter, main course, sides as well as drinks. Even if you were to have our most expensive dishes for one person you would still struggle to be presented with a bill in surplus of £25. This makes it evident that the bill which you received is testament to the amount you eat, which in your case was a meal fit for two people instead of one.
Moreover, you also criticised the quality of our garlic naan. Despite these "complaints" you still ordered one nan after another and ended the night with 3 garlic naans. If the quality of our naan was not up to standard then you should have made this clear to the waiter who asked if everything was ok with the meal.

Furthermore, you mentioned that our ramp was not suitable to walk on. At the time the ramp was incredible wet due to the rain and like any other surface would lose some of its friction. However, the ramp is of non-slip variety and therefore should not cause any customers to slip.

As you can see, we take reviews like this very seriously and don't appreciate false reviews and complaints which only have a motive to put off future Basmati diners.

The only thing we can advise you is to either experience other restaurants of our quality and learn to appreciate the food, quality and service you have been provided.

We also condemn Tripadviser for publishing such a review despite the fact that we contacted you informing you of the baseless review and our intentions of not submitting it. As a result, we hope you take this into consideration and do not publish a review of this variety again.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice. Not a bad local”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Good location on the Birmingham Road with car parking space right in front.

Service was friendly.

Food was nice with good variety, dishing up generous portions. Only got a 3/5 from us because although the curries were tasty, they were not distinct. As in if you were blindfolded, you wouldn't be able to distinguish between each dish.

Management
“Excellent service, excellent food every time”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have been to Basmati restaurant many times and we have never had anything bad to say about it, consistently great service and consistently great food, and this still stands. We went the other night and both decided to go for something we had never had before, my partner went for a meal recommended by the waiter, and I must say this was the best food we have ever had there, so tasty.