“Does exactly what it says on the tin”
Review of Charde Guest House

Charde Guest House
Ranked #45 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Does exactly what it says on the tin”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for a concert at the LG, the place is old fashioned and could do with a bit of updating but for the price it was what we were expecting. The rooms was clean & warm, beds were fresh & comfy & the one guy who seems to do everything there was great really friendly & helpful. This place is ideal for somewhere to put your head if your off out in Birmingham

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carla S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Booked for a 1 night stay as were visiting the NEC. Turned up me and my boyfriend wernt expecting anything special for the price but this guest house is beyond a joke. Rang the door bell and was let in greeted by a man behind a little hatch who gave us a key to our room and told us to ring the emergency bell if we needed anything. On entering our room the t.v was on and after turning it of it came back on. The shower was obviously a converted wardrobe. And the bedding filthy I was to scared to stay here its like something out of a horror film. We left after 5 mimutes of being there.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank betsierose

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I don't usually submit poor reviews, as I've stayed in some places which have not had the best reviews & found them perfectly reasonable. However I wish I'd had someone to tell me not to stay here. I booked for the proximity to the NEC & airport as I'd been working there one day and flying out early the next. However, despite being only 3 miles from both it cost me £15 in a taxi each way turning an otherwise average (?) value for money £35 into £65! For that I would have booked one of the travel lodge type places right at the NEC/airport.
As a single female traveller not accustomed to rougher areas of a city I found both the guest house and Tile Cross quite scary. To check in you had to ring a bell & wait for the door to be released then were attended to from behind a hatch, my room on the first floor was small with a cupboard sized en-suite which was cold. I didn't dare try the shower. The bed was an old divan style that looked as though it was coming apart, the headboard a piece of chipboard screwed to the wall and the curtains had a suspicious white stain on them near the head end of the bed. The bedding was clean though. There was a small tv with remote and all the freebies channels. When I ventured out to find a cash machine and some dinner I walked quite a way in a few directions but only found a Lidl & a small row of shops - most of them shuttered up. There was an Indian restaurant that I would not have felt comfortable eating in alone, and a corner shop type with a charge cash machine. I ended up eating crisps & cheese in my room as there was nothing else within walking distance.
I had asked if there could be a reduction in room rate as I would be gone before breakfast but was told no, that continental breakfast was laid out at midnight so I could get some before I left. When I went down at 4am all I could find was a mini fridge with some cartons of orange juice & milk & some margarine, a toaster & a kettle - no form of food anywhere or even teabags. I don't know if they'd forgotten to put it out or if that was it?
All in all I was glad to get to the airport where I bought breakfast & could relax!
I definately wouldn't recommend it for single female travellers, and please take into account the extra costs of taxis in this area if you are not driving yourself. I could easily have got a travel lodge room closer for this kind of money and been more comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LyndiPester
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in Jan, would recommend it to anyone. The service was good, breakfast reflected the price we paid hence we weren't expecting the full works. Rooms were clean, tidy and warm.

Does look quite run down but our stay was comfortable. Anyone wanting a high end hotel need to fork out for it otherwise stop complaining.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank 45dotty
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Booked a double, single and twin room for a group of us. All rooms had bedding that looked unclean. The bathrooms were dirty. Toilet in double room looked like it hadn't been flushed after use let alone cleaned. The twin was a shed in the garden and for two older people in the group who had to walk through an overgrown path that was unlit. The worst thing was that this shed was freezing and when told it wasn't suitable, was given another double that had no toilet and was told to use the toilet in the hall next to the front door. Definitely not what we were expecting at all from what was sold to us. The breakfast room still had crumbs on the table. Ended up leaving after being there 10mins and staying at holiday inn express, slightly more expensive but so much better in every way.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank istufidvits
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

After reading some of the bad reviews I was really nervous about the booking I had made back in June with this b&b so we packed accordingly (ie. brought extra towels, thick jumpers and toilet paper. Didn't need any of it. Whilst the decor is very dated the room was warm comfortable, clean and had towels and toilet paper. The owner was friendly (even though we had a very late check in), We paid for a family room for 2 nights which worked out at £22.00 pppn. Breakfast was help yourself to cereals and toast tea and coffee pretty much 24/7. We had no complaints at all. Only downside is if your a light sleeper you are on the flight path of Birmingham airport. We got exactly what we paid for a cheap b&b, no frills, no hassle.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank k b
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Extremely friendly service. decor was a little dated in certain areas of the building but overall was clean and presentable. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend.
It's not the ritz but is clean and comfortable at a very reasonable price!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3, double with en-suite