“Great location and staff, but breakfast system needs sorting!”

Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (Waterloo Street) Hotel
Ranked #10 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham
“Great location and staff, but breakfast system needs sorting!”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Clean and comfortable room, as expected from Premier Inn. Hotel staff all very friendly and polite, helpful without being intrusive, top marks to them. Had a family room which came with 2 single beds and a double. Was a bit cramped as room was fairly small compared to other Premier Inn rooms I have stayed in (I've stayed in quite a few), but we were only staying for one night so this was fine. Also, how many hotels will even offer to put 4 people in 1 room, all with an actual bed? Not many that I have found!

My only real gripe was about the breakfast system. I love a buffet breakfast, but the kitchen staff could not cope, and food was not being replenished quickly enough. Some people, myself included, were waiting up to 15 minutes for some standard items...I'm not talking about special request things here like omlettes etc. During this time, a large queue formed. Some people in the queue were not waiting for things to be replenished, they just wanted to get things that were already there... but nobody was managing the queue, and telling people to go ahead and take things that are ready rather than waiting in line with people who were waiting for items to be refilled. Some member of staff should have taken control of this situation. I have contacted Premier Inn about this through their website, and am waiting to hear back. I feel bad complaining about this as the rest of my experience was great, but the fact is it was very frustrating, even my stepdaughter appeared after over 15 minutes with a plate of basic food, saying she had been waiting so long she didn't even feel like eating anymore! I have two suggestions for this hotel. Either make sure a member of staff 'manages' the queue that develops to ensure people who aren't waiting for items can just go ahead and get food that is ready, or revise the system to ensure more of the food is prepared and kept stocked up properly. I would suggest giving over a couple of tables in the restaurant area to act as a 'second' buffet (even if this is only at the weekends when I am sure they are busiest), which can be filled up with stuff that keeps warm well on a warming tray for some time, so can be stocked up even before breakfast begins. Sausages, bacon, beans, hash browns tomatoes. The area where hot food is taken from is currently very small, so a second table like this would split the queue and take off some pressure. The trays of food on the existing buffet are simply not big enough to cope with demand on a busy day. I hope they sort this out, as it put a dampener on my experience, and I heard several other people around the restaurant complaining too... and yet surprisingly, the restaurant did not actually seem to be unreasonably busy! So this must be a recurring problem. I hope they take my comments in the constructive manner in which they are intended.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

nice, clean room; well insulated against noise from the street; great, central location on a really pretty square. all felt very efficient and convenient, and was clean and comfortable.
couldn't ask for more, and all at a good price.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
norfolk
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We booked our room at this Premier Inn quite last minute, but this didn't seem to matter we still had a good room. Clean, extremely comfortable and very very friendly from the moment we arrived :)

We were not sure where to park so pulled up outside and just popped inside to ask for directions to the nearest car park, as mentioned on the website, fortunately we had pulled into a parking space right outside the door and then is where we stayed, with recommendations as to how to make full advantagement of the free overnight parking as well as avoiding that early morning ticket if we had not topped up in time, it was so easy, less hassle than driving round Birmingham and also even though roadside parking we felt at ease to do so :) With our Sat Nav the hotel was very easy to find, so thoroughly recommend you use one of those unless you know Birmingham very well.

We booked our meal for that evening and breakfast through the meal deal, which worked out extremely cost effective, evening meal with three course meal and a choice of beverage (I asked for wine and received a very big glass of it) and then in the morning the all you can eat breakfast, what more could you want.

We were going that evening to the NIA and this was an easy and pleasant walk from the hotel and not at all worrying late at night on our return.

The only downer was late at night (around midnight) there was some noise when the bottles were being emptied into the bottle bin, we were at the back of the hotel, unfortunately we had only just got off to sleep so this noise awoke us but probably if we had been asleep abit longer it may not have disturbed us at all, apart from that we heard no noise what so ever. So to avoid this it would be nice if the bins were emptied earlier in the evening or the next day as it was quite loud.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to friends and also would stay there again myself.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed here Sunday night just gone and got the £29 rate asked for a room on front which we did big room but didn't over look the catherdal which we wanted but great room all the same comfy bed big bathroom, superb bar next door really cosy n nice drinks, we didn't get breakfast in Pi as to expensive so went around corner to the briar rose wetherspoons was nice n cheap, as always.

We went for a meal at the bar estillo at the mailbox which has superb tapas and we had 20% voucher for a Sunday night lovely area is the mailbox have been before would go again to the tapas bar.

we also walked to the custard factory in digbeth on the Monday and the Arcadian on the Sunday night also.

This hotel is bob on in the centre so perfect for shopping a night out and sightseeing, we loved the location and of course it being in an attractive location near louis vuitton and the lovely cathedral sq if you can get the cheap rate book i know it wont apply on Saturdays and Sundays.

Room Tip: ask for rooms ending in 19 as these are directly opposite the sq with the catherdal we were in room...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I am a frequent guest at all premier inn hotels I have stayed in three in Belfast several times and in London, but I can honestly say this is to date my favorite. The location is beautiful and the surroundings are very scenic, the rooms are the usual PI rooms,which are super, but the staff in this hotel are really top class, friendly, courteous and very helpful for people who have never been to Birmingham before. I will definitely recommend this hotel and I can't wait to use it again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Laws4_12
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Just stopped the one night at this hotel excellent location spotless and very friendly would recommend this hotel very highly This trip was with a group of friends who all said how pleased they stayed at this hotel and would gladly return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The hotel is situated just off the pedestrian walkways in the centre of Birmingham, with restaurants close by. The electronic check-in service was novel, but for the same amount of time and effort it took, I would have preferred the old way of checking in. We were woken up around 6:30am when the fire alarm went off. I would have liked to have seen staff marshalling people out of the hotel more effectively, and perhaps doing a head count/roll call check. After a good few minutes, with no fire department arriving, the alarm ended and people simply chose to walk back in the hotel. Again, no staff advised us to go back in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business