“Fantastic Hotel but shame about the noise”

Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (Waterloo Street) Hotel
Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Had a wonderful welcome at this hotel, (july 2013) check in quick, room lovely and clean as always.
great position for shops etc.
on the down side : first night was woken up by by a noise which sounded like someone revving a car, this was intimittent for a couple of minutes and then would start up again every 15 mins throughout the night, but was not there during the day, I let this go for the first night as I was unsure where it was coming from. same again second night and I complained to reception in the morning and I asked if she could find out where it was coming from and get back to me, but of course this didnt happen (by the way I was on the second floor overlooking the back alleys). Third morning I complained and was told it would be looked into and sorted out. It would be nice to have some feedback on exactly what the noise was that kept me and my family awake for three nights. A good night sleep is guaranteed they say, well its all well and good having a clean and comfortable room, brilliant bed etc, etc, but when we went to birmingham on a shopping trip and shopped till we dropped we did, all you want is a good night sleep.
If premier inn would now like to tell me what kept me awake I'd love to hear from you and if they feel they would like to compensate me with another shopping trip then I'm all ears.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 277Dora
Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We found the hotel ok following the satnav, when we got there we realised there was no close parking even though it said there was on the premier inn website. So my boyfriend went in to ask where we could park and they said you could park in front of the premier inn until 8am but then you would have to move and we didn't want the hassle of getting up early. So they gave us some directions to the nearest car parking which was an absolute nightmare to find as the directions were rubbish and were telling us to go down streets which were closed due to road works and diversions and no through roads. After a lot of stressing of driving round passing the premier inn about 5 times we eventually managed to find a car park and they gave us the postcode for the new street car park that the premier inn had recommended. I would advise no one to stay here as it charges ridiculous prices of £24 for 24 hours so we ended up paying £48 even though we weren't there for 48 hours. There was a security guard in the car park who said that the premier inn offered a discount of 10% on the car parking but we soon found this not to be true. We then had to walk to the premier inn with our suitcases with no knowledge of where we were following the satnav on our phone like fools. When we got there check in was easy on the machines and could go straight up to our room. At about 22:30 my boyfriend went down to reception to ask about the car parking discount. The receptionist was with another customer at the point and when she finished with her she didn't acknowledge that I was waiting at all and walked straight past me and I had to say excuse me to get her attention. I asked about the car park and she just said no they didn't offer a discount, she was very rude and had zero customer service skills. Breakfast in the morning was very good as was the service.
If you order pizza to your room, bring a knife as they don't cut it into pieces for you! We just had a big round pizza and had to rip it with our hands and it was cold.

All in all an ok stay but probably wont be returning anytime soon unless they get car parking sorted!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whrjr
PIbirmingham, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (Waterloo Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this valuable feedback. Premier Inns strive to achieve the highest levels of customer service and we are sorry to hear that we have failed to do so on this occasion. Also, due to our location, we understand that the lack of parking facilities can be an inconvenience and we do try to let all our guests know about it, so they can plan their trip accordingly. However, the road works will be finished soon and finding the closest car park will be much easier, so we do hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Quiet street so close to the shops and bars, great price for a high season Saturday night. Room was clean and new looking. It took us less than 10 minutes to walk to the canal area for our night out, though there were bars and eateries a stone's throw from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello,

We are so pleased to hear our location was so suitable to all our needs and that our rooms were up to your standards. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here for two nights recently. Very central location, a spotlessly clean room and extremely comfortable bed. Very helpful, friendly staff. Only down side was the problem we had with gaining access to our corridor, and then our room using they key cards provided. We had four different cards during our two day stay. Taking the lift up five floors, many times only to discover that the key card would not let us in,then having to go back down 5 floors again in the lift to reach a member of staff. On our second day, having to do this caused us to miss the 9.30 train we'd planned to get to Stratford. Staff were very apologetic, and helpful, but it was still a nuisance, and time consuming. Speaking to other guest, some of them had similar problems. However I would recommend this hotel, and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mbgirl12

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are very happy to hear you were pleased with our service and facilities. We are aware our key cards can be a bit temperamental at times, and keeping them by your mobile phone or bank cards can stop them from working, but due to the size of our hotel, they are a necessity.
We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

This was my first experience at a Premier Inn and what a very pleasant and positive one it was. I was there for 4 nights on a work course. Firstly the room was very tidy everyday and clean and very spacious. Had all the amenities I required.

The location was fantastic, very central and close to everything!

The beds... Are divine! Hypnos mattresses and a range of pillows to choose from, it was the best 4 nights sleep I've had in a long time, we are looking to upgrade our bed to a Hypnos mattress lol.

The hotel bar/restaurant is very good, prices reasonable and service with a smile!

I'd be very happy to stay at another Premier Inn on the future!

• Stayed: August 2012
PIbirmingham, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (Waterloo Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Hello MrAdyyy,

We are happy to hear about your excellent stay with us and about how pleased you have been with our hotel, our service, our bedrooms, and more importantly, our matresses. We do believe we have indeed the most comfortable beds in the country and we are happy you think so too.

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback and we hope Premier Inn has now become a top choice for you in your future travels.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was my first stay here but I am highly likely to use it again. Convenient for almost anywhere in the centre of Birmingham and a few minutes walk from the station. Great check in, good rooms, quiet and comfortable. Better than average breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Hello Sarah,

We are extremely happy to hear that our hotel matched your standard and that we have become a top choice for accomodation whenever you visit Birmingham.
Our location makes us an excellent choice indeed, and I am delighted to hear that you have had a good experience throughout your stay.

Thank you for the lovely feedback.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I usually book Premier Inn hotels for family trips as they're consistently family friendly, clean, comfortable and excellent value for money. We stayed two nights in this one and were very happy with the hotel. We booked a standard family room and it was spacious enough even with the double bed and the extra single bed. As with many hotels these days the windows don't open but there was air conditioning. An minor criticism would be the lighting as we found the choice of lighting all a bit bright when we were trying to get our wee one off to sleep and for during the time he was sleeping. The location was great, very central, and perfect if traveling by train as it's only a short walk from many of the central stations, New Street, Snow Hill and Moor Street. All the attractions of the city centre are nearby but it also feels quite a calm spot as there's a nice bit of green space in the square around the cathedral opposite the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Hello Rosco,

Thank you for your brilliant feedback.
We are thrilled you have found our hotel so comfortable and satisfying to all your needs. Our location is indeed one of our main strenghts, together with our wonderfull staff, who will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here.
We have taken into account your suggestion to add an option of dimming the lights.