“Great place for a stop over”

Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (Waterloo Street) Hotel
Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a nice hotel, clean, friendly and efficient, stayed over for a night on business, great location for everything! ticked all the boxes. Room very nice and clean, bar sevice good and drinks not too expensive! Will return

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Booked a twin room for 2 adults and found the second bed was a camp bed. Complained to staff who told me this was their standard twin room. Will not use again. Location was great and everything else fine but lack of sleep marred whole experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (Waterloo Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your review. It really matters to us that our guest have a comfortable nights sleep, and we guarantee this. Your comments have been noted and will be duly followed up by both our Customer Services Team and the Management team at this hotel. Once again thank you for your review we do hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had a really warm welcome from Sheila who said if we needed anything at all we should ring. The location is perfect for the bull ring, new street station and the symphony hall. We were on the seventh floor, there was no noise at all, drinks in the bar very pleasant and room clean and had a bath which wS fabulous. All in all an excellent hotel for the price we will definitely be back

Room Tip: 720 was particularly quiet and had a bath
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Very central location, an easy walk from Birmingham New Street station. Opposite Birmingham Cathedral, which is worth a visit for its Burne-Jones windows. Lots of restaurants in neighbouring streets. An easy few minutes' walk to sights such as Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, the new Library of Birmingham and the Symphony Hall.

Staff very friendly, attentive and welcoming. Room clean and bed very comfortable. Hotel very quiet and I had a very good night's sleep. Bathroom very well lit and otherwise well designed, with a good shower (although with only a fixed head), but surprisingly it didn't have a shaver socket (you have to ask for an adaptor at reception and the first one they gave me didn't work).

Breakfast costs extra. Two options - hot cooked breakfast and continental, or just continental. With both options you can eat as much as you like, and there is a lot to choose from. Breakfast is served as late as 10:30 on weekdays and 11:30 at weekends. A pleasant breakfast area where you can watch the world go by from the ground floor window. Rather too upbeat music at breakfast for my own taste but then I prefer a much more gentle start to the morning rather than a get-up-and-go groove.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I have to admit, I was initially pleased to have a central location.

Though the check in was quick, the wait to check in took over 10 minutes. Only one member of staff on during the afternoon.

The bar/restaurant is connected to reception by an open door way into reception and it was very noisy but non unexpected.

Room and building was clean but could have done with a deep clean in places.

My room 323 had no heater or radiator but no information available to state what should be done if needed. The room overlooked roof tops and constant noise could be heard from what I could only presume to be a generator.

On my way out for dinner, I discovered a "iron room" which I expected to be similar to those you find in the IBIS basic. Though, it was a cupboard full of "ironing boards" but no irons. Oh and you can find stand alone heaters in there as well.

On my return from dinner in Birmingham CC , I found the kettle was not working (this being around 12.30am) after going down to unmanned reception and waiting for about 5 minutes. Two staff appeared but pretty much said there was nothing they could do, though one offered to make me a coffee. The other was more engaged with his phone. - worst service I have received from staff at a premier inn. - no kettle arrived at my room even though stating I would be up for a few more hours.

Waking to a freezing room and constant generator noise , I would suggest either avoid this place or request a room not over looking the back of the hotel.

Again, the room was clean and location great. Fantastic check in service minus a bit of a wait.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Craig B
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (Waterloo Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I apologise that on this occasion your stay was less than relaxing. Your experience was far below our usual high standards, but please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a large group if friends on a weekend in the area. Hotel has very convenient location and good parking, hotel itself slightly dated to look at but inside it's modern, clean and helpfull staff, we had a great 2 night stay and rooms proved spacious and comfortable. Good value stay and would stay again

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 5 March 2014

It started badly. At about 1.00pm I arrived at the check-in desk and said that I had a reservation for... I wasn't allowed to get any further. A Central European voice reminiscent of a Eastern Bloc border quard, interrupted unsmilingly with "check-in time 2.00pm." I gently remonstrated that I had not been told of this in advance and that many hotels allowed check-in from at least mid-day. "Check out mid-day" said the border guard, face not cracking. So I went off to my favourite Birmingham Chinese restaurant for lunch, then took a nostalgic bus ride to what had been the home of my maternal grandparents in the '50s. The house looks just the same sixty years later!
Arriving back at the Premier Inn, all had changed. The border guard had been replaced by a very friendly and helpful young man and up I went to my room, which was large, spotlessly clean with what later turned out to be one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The only disconcerting moment came as I turned out the light to go to sleep and there was Lenny Henry grinning at me from the desk! Still, you could share with worse people.
Breakfast the next morning was excellent and of excellent value. First rate croissants, ditto crumpets and lots of other breads, fruit, yoghurt, jams, juices and very good coffee. For this "continedntal selection" I paid only £5.25. The room had cost me just £44. Breakfast staff were welcoming and friendly in the typical Birmingham fashion.
This hotel is in a perfect location for walking to the attractions of Birmingham city centre, situated just a few paces from the cathedral.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo