“Clean, great staff, good breakfasts.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Worthing, England
“Clean, great staff, good breakfasts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

Conveniently situated for the city cantre and close to the Conference Centre.
Clean, great staff, good breakfasts.
Breakfasts were quite busy some mornings, the staff were great and coped very well.
Stayed in room 212, had no problems with noise.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 212, had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Briliant hotel, great location, tidy room and good view (not that birmingham is much to look at) comfy bed, hot powerful shower, and good sound proofing. Check out time is at 12 noon so didnt feel we had to rush to leave. Definitely recommend this!

ENGLAND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

I have stayed here several times and it's a great place to stay in Birmingham. It was completely renovated and updated a couple of years ago and is now right at the top end of the Crowne Plaza scale. The only downside is that the location outside is dilapidated. There is a carpark right underneath but unfortunately no lifts so this could be a problem if you have heavy bags or difficulty walking.

Check in is quick and efficient though it can get busy at time like any other major chain. Staff have always been lite and helpful and I usually get upgraded as a Platinum member.

Room decor is good, rooms are lean and very comfortable. Breakfast is good as is room service.

While it isn't right in the centre it is a comfortable compromise offering easy access to shopping in the Bull Ring (10 minutes) and Mailbox (5 minutes). It's equidistant from the commercial locations of Colmore Row and Brindley Place. For nightlife Broad Street is 5 minutes away.

Please note there is no Swimming Pool on site despite what some websites state.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to document your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to know that you have been staying with us from pre-refurbishment times. Our refurbishment was a tip to toe process which was completed at the end of 2008 and glad to know your comments that the outcome is a splendid product. We have updated all sites to the best of our knowledge for swimming pool information after refurb however will double check this again.
Pleased to read that you have been receiving your Platinum upgrade on most of the occasions. It is great when a regular guest recognises our team's guest focus. Please be assured that your comments for Breakfast, room decor and room service operation will be shared with our team with pleasure.

Thank you again for your detailed comments and our team look forward to welcome you back very soon.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Loved this hotel from start to finish everything was clean and just what you wanted when you walked in. As stated the carpark is not the most aesthetically pleasing but seemed secure and had no problems the weekend we both stayed. Major plus was the shower, was like getting a massage! and the breakfast where all of the staff only seemed too happy to help.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving such a fantastic review in regards to your stay.
Hope that this special occasion went as planned for your boyfriend.

Pleased to see that you loved your stay from start to the end and will pass your comments for staff service, shower and Breakfast to our team. Our team will be proud to know about your experience and also why it was so special to you.

We trust to welcome you back very soon to the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed here for a night only and would recomend it to everyone, the High Street and the Bullrring is only a few minutes away, really handy, did not eat at the restaurant as we went out for dinner at The Oriental Restaurant at the near by Mail Box Shopping centre, rooms were very clean and stylish, staff were great !!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip. The hotel is fantastic very modern and clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room very well equipped. The bathroom was again very nice with an excellent shower. The hotel has a Gym; I never got to use this as I was too busy. The breakfast was well catered for and the evening meal very nice, but a little pricey. The car park was £13.50 for 24 Hours, another price I wasn’t expecting and there was no Wi-Fi which is a real problem when on business trips. Overall I would stay again a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Complimentary Business Lounge on the 11th Floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read thay your business stay went very comfortable at our hotel. Glad to read that you enjoyed the bedroom and shower facilities. Your comments for breakfast and dinner in our b1 restaurant will be passed to our team and they will be very pleased.

Since the car parking facility is not owned by us we are unable to provide any discount on the charge. Our Wi Fi service is limited to the lounge and public areas and we will keep on reviewing our service based on feedbacks.

Once again thank you for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcome you back.
Hove, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

Firstly I would like to agree with everything the person wrote under the heading of Distinctly Average, both good and not so good.
I'm a business traveller and have stayed in hotels in this chain all over the world as far away as the Crowne Plaza in Perth Australia.
Generally the hotel is OK but it definitely lacks the extra touch you would expect from a hotel of this alledged standard and by comparison to other Crowne Plaza Hotels it falls well short of the mark but the main reason for me ever writing my first review on Trip Advisor is to warn people of the terrible noise the Air conditioning units make in the room.
My visit was not for business but for a wedding aniversary and I suggested this hotel to my wife as I know Crowne Plaza hotels are usually good especially when a club room is booked, how wrong could I be?
We arrived on May 20th had a great meal out went to the hotel bar for a couple of drinks and then it went down hill. The air con. unit in the room is a floor standing unit out of the 1980's and when the compressor cut in it rattled and made a terrible noise. Quite clearly the unit needed a new compressor as they become noisy as they get old.
I went to reception in the morning and reported the problem and told the person we had a bad night due to being woken up many times. I was assured it would be looked into.
When we returned to the hotel late afternoon the unit was still noisy so I went back to reception where I asked if anything had been done, it was at this point I found out the person I spoke to that morning was the Duty Manager, an oriental gentleman.
By the time I returned to the room the maintenance guy was there, he told me he looked at the unit earlier but after a while it stopped making a noise, well that would be because it reached temperature and the compressor cut out. He had no idea at all, he spoke to someone on the phone, then went to the control then told me it was OK. When I looked he had turned off the Air Con. and left it on Fan Only and told me he was instructed to do this. I explained to this poor unfortunate young unexperienced guy that I'm an engineer and this was not acceptable and I want to move rooms. We did get a new room and the unit was better but still noisy so another night of interrupted sleep.
I did complain to reception again that they had tried to fob me off by switching to fan only and they had picked on the wrong guy this time. I received a 20% discount on the room for the previous night but this was not what I was looking for and they didn't seem to understand this. At this point the reception staff told me the last time the hotel was refurbished the air con. units were not included and they have trouble with them all the time.
WARNING DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL WHEN IT'S WARM IF YOU WISH TO SLEEP.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City and also taking the time to inform us about your experience.

It is disappointing to note that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured that all reviews are shared with our team and comments are taken on board.
Air con units will be re-checked and also re-training with the maintenance team will be done by our Chief Engineer.

Glad to read that discount was applied and also a different room was arranged by the Reception team.

I apologise for the shortfalls and inconvenience encountered during your stay and we do hope to wlecome you back to Crowne Plaza Birmingham City.