“Its a Crowne Jewel”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Took a party of 15 to the Crowne Plaza where we stayed on business for 2 days.

This hotel is brilliant! Grreat location, fantastic bedrooms, good food and all at reasonable prices

Nothing was too much trouble - stay there and you wont be disappointed

Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank david_spring
Write a ReviewReviews (2,142)

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Have stayed here a few times as my 1st choice business location. Normal stays are for 1 - 3 days max, so can't advise on how a longer trip may pan out..
Reception staff are very attentive and have provided upgrades where possible as per my Priority Club membership.
Rooms are spacious, beds more than comfortable, flat screen tv's and wifi (at a cost). Only negative I would have is lack of drawer storage if there for a week / longer stay.
Comfortable bar area on ground floor adjacent to restaurant. Used both for evening meals, bar represents better value as main restaurant was pricey and limited choice.
Hotel is located a few minutes walk from Broad St and Mailbox area's where you'll find many bars and eating locations.
Main rail station and city centre shopping, again few minutes walk from front door.

Taxi's available at front door if required.

Overall a typical Crown Plaza hotel, which should meet your expectations of this brand.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Just a short walk from my earlier meeting at The Mailbox, and also not far for Birmingham New Street the next morning. Reception at 4pm was quiet, booked a room on the 11th floor which again was nice and quiet, ideal when you're facing an evening of report-writing in front of the laptop. Workload meant room service, but there was a good selection, it turned up on time and was presented (and tasted) as if it had been cooked next door. Despite being high up the shower was refreshingly strong. Curtains kept out the light to ensure a good night's sleep, aircon was non obtrusive, and my only complaint was a lack of time the next morning to savour continental breakfast in the club lounge on the same floor. Staff were courteous, professional and efficient.

I left the next morning ready for anything, which was just as well given the disastrous experience which awaited me with Enterprise Car Rental in the North West (but that's another story)

Room Tip: 11th floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Nice hotel reasonable price, had club room as an internet offer, good sized room with separate shower, stayed on Saturday night so had breakfast downstairs, good choice and nicely cooked.

Very good for theatres ( Hipperdrome and Alex) and a 5 min walk to the mailbox.Didn't use the lounge as had dinner booked, but would use it in the future.
Couple of niggles, car parking: it isn't made very clear that it is £13.40 per day. looked at parking on the street free after 6pm on weekend, but husband not happy to leave car on street. also a hotel that is a 4star should have free wifi in all rooms!
apart from that a good hotel in a central location with some very good deals on the internet

Reviewed 19 July 2011

This hotel is excellently located and even though I have limited knowledge of Birmingham I still managed to find the places I needed with ease (Broad Street, Train station, Bullring etc.) all within a 10 minute walk.

Although I only booked a standard double room I was very impressed with the spaciousness, and the bed was actually king size rather than the double I had expected. The pillow menu was a nice touch, and having stayed in many hotels in the past (including Crowne Plazas) I have yet to see this feature.

The view from the room wasn't great, it looked on to what seemed to be a run down abandoned warehouse or office, I found it hard to tell. Although this didn't bother me in the slightest I'm sure some more picky guests may find something unsavoury to say about it! Obviously it's pot luck as to which side of the building you get however we were in room 517 so I'm assuming even numbers have a better view.

Checking in and out was very quick and efficient despite it being particularly busy on check in.

One thing I was slightly surprised at was upon returning to the hotel in the early hours of the morning (03:00) there was a complete lack of security and we were able to stumble in at our leisure. I can't say I have ever returned to a hotel of this standard in the past at this time without being checked for a key card or the likes. It's nothing that would stop me staying again but it was a little surprising being the hotel's high profile location.

Overall the staff and hotel exceeded expectations and I definitely will be back in the future. Perhaps to experience the clubroom this time!

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience about Crowne Plaza Birmingham City.

I am glad that your first impression and stay at the hotel has gone so well. Pleased to see that you have enjoyed our central location.
Great to see your comments in regards to the general facilities, room, Reception and overall staff services. Meeting and exceeding guest expectations is our top prioirty and your comments reflects this very well.

In regards to your comments for security check at late nights, we do feel that apart from Saturday nights it is not required at our hotel. It is with pleasure to say that this is re-assuring to our guests for a safe and enjoyable stay.

Thank you for your first stay and we hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed here a week ago. Stayed for three nights in a club room on the 11th floor. Decided to pay a little extra for the club floor and I thought it was worth paying.

The rooms are a great size as are the bathrooms, with a separate shower as well as the bath. Good facilties in the room as well as a safe.

The use of the club lounge was good. At the weekend you take breakfast in the restaurant on the ground floor. There is a choice of a cooked breakfast, buffet style and all the usual cold items. During the week breakfast is taken in the club lounge on the 11th floor, the same floor as the rooms. This is generally a cold selection, but I think they do toast and other items on request. You can use the lounge throughout the day and get hot drinks and cold soft drinks. Between 5pm amd 7.30pm they serve complimentary alcoholic drinks and canapes. The service I received in the Club lounge was excellent.

The location of the hotel is good, only at worst a 10 minute walk from the rear entrance of New Street and very close to the Mailbox with all its restaurants and bars.

The only problems I encountered was having difficulty in getting a table for dinner in the restaurant one evening. The athletics was on at Alexander Stadium (one of the reasons I was there) and the hotel was being used by all the athletes, so it was very busy and they were having an informal buffet dinner. I decided to have room service instead. This was only a one off so it shouldn't affect people in the future. It was nice to get in the lift with some of the worlds top athletes as well.

Book ahead and get a promotion and go for a club room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for documenting your review.

It is with pleasure to read that your stay was fantastic and you have enjoyed our Club Level facilities.
Its good to see that you had the chance to sample all services in Club Lounge. Our Deluxe Continental breakfast on weekdays is very popular among Club guests. Nice to know that you have received an excellent service by the club host. Please be assured that I will share all comments with our team for their training and motivation.

Apologies for your restaurant booking situation as we were the host hotel for the athletes stay in Birmingham. Glad to read that you ordered via room service and also had to a chance to share the lift with some top athletes.

We look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Spacious rooms that are modern and comfortable. Good selection for breakfast - something for everyone. Great power shower! Cocktails in the bar are quite expensive, but lovely and no more pricey than anywhere in the city. Could not fault our stay. Would highly recommend and stay again. Be careful to look at whats in mini bar, at check out reception tried to charge us for 2 drinks that we hadn't had - it was amended straight away when we explained situation.