“Overall good experience”

Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Hemel Hempstead
“Overall good experience”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I organised a large conference at this hotel and can thoroughly recommned it. Very close to Birmingham City railway stations which is convenient if you have delegates from varying locations. All the meeting rooms have natural daylight and a dedicated member of staff on the conference room floor. Food and drinks were good - drinks are generally expensive but this is the norm in this standard of hotel. Bedrooms were comfortable and more than adequate. Staff were helpful and friendly. Would certainly stay here again - for leisure as well if I wanted to stay in the city centre as it is very convenient for the centre.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank pinklebunny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Well Im not really sure what i thought. I stayed with my friend for one night, as my birthday treat. My family had called and upgraded my room earlier that day and so we were treated to a Club Room. The room was spacious and beautiful but from the pics on here I cant see there is much difference with it being Club.

We did look forward to using the Club Lounge for complimentary canapes and alcoholic beverages. We went for a pre dinner drink at 6.45pm and there was none of either as suggested there would be between 5.30-7.30pm. Disappointed.

The reception area looks lovely and staff were friendly and helpful. We had parked in the under hotel car park with access on Holliday Street. It costs 13.50 for 24hrs which we thought was a little expensive. The website says its labelled Britannia, but just look out for parking signed ARENA and you will be in the right place. The hotel was next to The Mailbox (ask reception to point you in the right direction). If you walk through the building there are lots of lovely places to eat with a canal side view. Red Peppers was delicious!

On returning to our room, we found our beds really comfortable but the rattling air conditioning was really loud and I woke many times in the night (Rm1128). Our cooked breakfast was taken in the lovely restaurant. There was a wonderful selection of treats, and a hot buffet. Service again was v good, however we came down at 9.30am and breakfast finished at 10am. We felt a little rushed as staff were putting things away at 9.50am, and I felt an unwelcome visitor as we left the restaurant area at 10.10am.

A real mixed bag and I wonder if the negs outweigh the pos. Some tweaking and it could be a top notch hotel. Unfortunately they didnt get it all right for us :(

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claire5975
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Thank you for your review.

Glad that you liked the Club room and found the bed very comfortable. Disappointed to know that Air Con was noisy, unit has now been fixed.

Club Lounge Canape service is provided every evening or an altrenative service is offered and informed accordingly to all Club guests, I am sorry if this was not communicated.

I will pass on your lovely comments to the Breakfast team and message will be picked up for training purposes.

Pleased to read comments for the Reception team and please be assured that this will be shared with the team.

Please contact myself directly at: akmal.shahzad@cpbhamcity.com, this will enable us to secure more feedback and also provide us an opportunity to reassure your faith in our services.

Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I had booked this hotel and was told that we would have interconnecting or adjacent rooms as we had 2 children.
On arrival though we were told that we had rooms on the 6th and 8th floors and when we insisted that we had been told on booking we could be together there was a great deal of huffing and puffing and having to talk to 'the manager' before we were given two rooms on the 4th floor.
I had stayed on the 4th floor in June for business use and was a bit disappointed to find that the rooms we had had shower over bath arrangements rather than walk in showers which were much nicer.
By the time we left on day 3 the childrens' room smelt of damp bathroom and there were marks and damp marks on the tiles and ceiling of both bathrooms.
Our rooms overlooked a flat roof which seemed to have some sort of air con unit or something which cut in and out noisily all the time.
I feel another disappointment is having to pay £27 for 2 days parking which given the rate for the rooms is mean !
Otherwise the beds are comfy and breakfast lovely;the general feel of the hotel is modern but I feel we were fobbed off with cruddy old rooms (there were stains on the carpet between our beds ugh!) which was sad when it was a repeat booking and I was looking forward to sharing the hotel with my family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to document your review after your recent stay.

Pleasure to know that you enjoyed the modern facilities of the hotel and also found the Breakfast service to your expectations.

Disappointing to know that your arrival experience was not great and this will be discussed with the team to take comments on board.
In regards to the bedroom comments, I must admit that we never had such feedback and please be assured that this is not reflective of our normal high standards of cleanliness and attention to detail.

Car parking facility is not owned by us and due to city centre location it is charged accordingly.

Please contact me at the following email address: akmal.shahzad@cpbhamcity.com
This will enable us to get more direct feedback and also to reassure your faith in our services.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed here the last weekend of July 2011 as a girlie weekend treat. Staff were lovely and friendly without being to intrusive. Rooms were fairly spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable! Price of drinks in bar were not too ridiculous. Had a great time and as long as they let me back then I will be back!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here on business. I stayed in a club floor room and it was a fabulous room. The bed was huge, very comfortable. The bathroom was large with a separate shower and bath. The club room meant that I had access to the club room where they have several PC's with free internet access and a free bar (between certain times).

I would recommend this hotel to business and leisure travellers. It is in a great location near to New Street Station and all the shops, bars and restaurants. It is also close to The Mail Box and the lovely canal-side bars of Brindley Place.

Room Tip: Club rooms are well worth the upgrade for the added benefits of the clubroom.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I have stayed here before. Its main advantage is its city centre location. We booked 2 rooms as we were in town for a family function.
As usual, the reception was competent and friendly. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds are extremely comfortable. The romms are quiet, although they look out over other roofs and buildings, as expected in a city centre area.
However, on this visit, there was no hot water in the morning in the hotel, as "the boiler had packed in". This meant cold showers for all the guests.
For the standard of the hotel, the breakfast has deteriorated. The selcetion looked poor. The area where the fish shoould have been was empty. I asked about some smoked salmon and the waitress went to enquire in the kitchen. After a bit, a plate was put out with some rather tired, dried out sad looking slamon. It didn't lood too safe to eat, so I went for a peice of tasty wholemeal loaf with jam.
It just seemed to have slipped down the scales and to be behind the other citycnetre hotels in Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, IHG Care at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Dear DRDICKMAZEL,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am glad you found our beds extremely comfortable. Please do accept my sincerest apologies for the lack of hot water. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Myrna Molina
Case Manager
IHG Care
Worcester
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Took a party of 15 to the Crowne Plaza where we stayed on business for 2 days.

This hotel is brilliant! Grreat location, fantastic bedrooms, good food and all at reasonable prices

Nothing was too much trouble - stay there and you wont be disappointed

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business