“Lovely hotel but shame about cleanliness.”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #36 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Was looking forward to checking in from the photos on the hotels website and we weren't disappointed! Clean and outstanding reception area.

Room was very large and set out very well. Tasty biscuits with the tea and coffee facilities!! Found a white stain on the carpet next to the bed which was splashed up the side of the matress where it looked like someone had been sick and it had not been cleaned properly. Also a few bits of popcorn were lying around by the wardrobe from the previous occupants. The mini fridge could be used for personal drinks so tried to chill our champegene seen as it was new years but couldn't get the fridge to get cold at all.

Apart from those small things we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel to all!

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Having stayed several times at the Millennium Copthorne we decided to call the Crowne Plaza and enquire, we're so glad we did!

As is an ever more famaliar pattern nowadays it would seem the boom of.last minute booking websites is in decline, we often find speaking with the hotel directly gets you a better deal - it was certainly the case on this occasion!

Its worth mentioning that my dear other half is a Priority Club Holder, its well worth registering as it affords many benefits - some of which were applicable to this trip.

Upon arrival the reception staff are extremely welcoming and helpful. My other half is adamant, after a bad experience in a previous life, not to have his card blocked for payment purposes. Although this is the route they had been going down, the hotel were happy enough to take a small fee instead, very obliging.

The room was lovely and, being a priority member, we quickly ditched the bag and made our way to the Private club lounge for complimentary canopes and drinks, including alcohol . This is provided each day between 17:30 - 19:30 although the lounge is available 24/7 offering fantastic views of the city, a TV viewing area, games, internet access, and books. Complimentary tea, coffee and soft drinks are provided 24 hours a day.

Thoroughly watered (!) we returned to our room to freshen up. We didn't plan to eat in the hotel's restaurant but the weather outside was abysmal, forcing us to reconsider - I'm so glad we did!

You can eat a la carte or off the set menu for £25 a head, we chose this option.

Both service and food were outstanding, the restaurant proving neither too intrusive nor elusive.

To start we had lobster and salmon with caviar, roasted chicken for the main and different desserts, myself opting for a trio of desserts consisting of strawberry & raspberry coulis, fresh fruit sorbet, blackcurrant cheesecake with compote and a melon flower topped in popping candy, my other half eating the equally scrumptious banana cheesecake.

We had ordered a bottle of sparkling rose to accompany the meal but, in error, the RM had opened sparkling white. Not wishing to spoil the bottle we advised we would keep this and have the rose with dessert. Upon paying for the meal we noticed the sparkling white had not been charged for - a nice gesture.

Despite being right in the centre of Birmibgham you cannot hear any noise in your room and the air conditioning makes for a very comfortable nights sleep. Oh, did I mention the pillow menu on offer to ensure your total comfort?

The cost of this wonderful accommodation booked directly with the hotel? A mere £70!

A full English breakfast is available at additional cost but Priority Club members have the choice of a free, continental breakfast served in the club lounge. For whatever reason this was not available this morning so the hotel provided us both with a free full English in the main restaurant. Another really nice touch!

Would I stay again? In a heartbeat and I thoroughly, thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody.

1  Thank Gazmuriel
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Good sized room with twin double beds. The bathroom was very clean with plenty of towels.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

I just stayed one night and the impression was positive.The location is very good in the city centre - 5mins walking distance to New Street Station (back entrance). The room is comfortable, modern and clean. A good English breakfast. Staff was helpful and polite.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ThiagoT
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed on Friday November 25th 2011.The hotel was almost fully booked.The Club Lounge was overcrowded, no way to find a chair.
Saturday morning Breakfast was a punishment

Room Tip: Club room is OK but when we stayed on Friday the Lounge was over crowded.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2011

I stay here reguarly but it has struck me recently that this hotel is losing ground on other local hotels.
Rooms and corridors are getting pretty shabby now and the decor in the rooms especially is really dull.
Food is okay but as has been said in other reviews , is expensive, as are the drinks
Good location and underground car park is handy..but expensive also
Its about time this chain offered free Wi-Fi in rooms. This is a real must now for many travellers
I expect I will kep staying here as it is convienient but don't take my custom for granted

Room Tip: Front facing is best otherwise you get a horrible view of a derelict building
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2011

The exterior of this hotel is almost offputting in its 1970's cement horror, but inside all is very modern and well thought through. We were here for 2 nights and our room was very clean, well set out and warm. We had breakfast both days and it was from a very well stocked buffet arrangement. The bar is good as is the club lounge

This is one of Birminghams "big 4" hotels along with the Marriott, Radisson and Hyatt. I prefer this to the Radisson, although it is not as comfortable as the Marriott it is more convenient for Broad Street and the city centre than either the Radisson or The Marriott, however nothing beats the Hyatt for Broad Street/ICC convenience. Mind you the Hyatt prices often reflect that.

Often this is the cheapest of the big four and I would certainly say it can represent great value for money, but like all of these hotels, the rates can vary wildly. When staying in the city centre it is from this hotel I start my search. Overall Radisson would have to be substantially cheaper to get my business, I dont really rate it. Marriott would also have to be somewhat cheaper to get my business because its location is less convenient. I'd pay a small premium over the Crowne Plaza for the Hyatt, but frankly its very rare that the Hyatt competes with the Crowne Plaza like that. So more and more of my stays are ending up at the Plaza and I'm happy with that...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple