“Good central location and good customer service”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
carlisle
“Good central location and good customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights whilst training in Brimingham.The hotel is really close to the city centre, near shops and within walking distance of pubs and clubs as well as the financial district.

I arrived at the hotel at 11pm and one of the two rooms as not ready due to a cracked sink. I was offered a free drink in the bar and I was notified when a new room was found. The service was very professional- things go wrong but it is how the hotel puts them right that is important.

The rooms are spacious and nicely finished but nothing special. Better than a travel lodge but nothing like a 'posh' hotel. Breakfast is buffet style and is fairly average but does the job.

Overall not a bad hotel and great as an upgrade from travelodge etc. Location is excellent, nothing wrong with the rooms and for a city break it is perfect.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for four nights for the first time, due to its close proximity to the ICC, which I was attending for a Congress related to my job. The hotel staff were polite, helpful and professional throughout my stay. I did not stay in a Club room, but nevertheless found my room to be spacious, clean and tastefully decorated with a high quality finish. The bed was large, the desk extremely large, and although the lighting was perhaps a little dim for my taste, the bedside lamps and desk lamps provided more than enough extra light for reading, working on my laptop and drawing (I am an amateur artist in my spare time and found that I could spread out my sketches on the huge desk). The room had a refrigerator, which surprisingly made no noise at all, complimentary mineral water, tea, coffee, UHT milk, biscuits and two chocolates per day, There was a small kenwood kettle, two mugs and saucers, wine glasses and drinking glasses. The bathroom had good mirrors, lovely complimentary toiletries which were replenished daily, a small but adequate bath, with shower screen for the shower. There was no power shower, but the pressure was more than adequate, and the hot water was plentiful. The towels were of good quality and there was a complimentary thick fluffy bathrobe, which was extra large (huge on my size 6 frame, but I liked this since it came down to my ankles). Disappointingly on my penultimate day the bathrobe was replaced for an equally large but less fluffy one. The room has a full-length mirror with a light above it, a flat screen TV, an archair, a velvet chair at the desk and a velvet-covered large stool.

The carpark is directly below the hotel and costs £13.50 per day. There are stairs but no lift, which take you up to the hotel entrance. I'd recommend parking on level 2, not level 1, so that you will only have one flight of stairs to climb rather than two. Validate your carparking ticket in the hotel when you check out, to save you using the machine. The hotel were happy to look after my suitcase for the day after I checked out, since I needed to attend the ICC before driving home, and they did not charge me for this.

I did not eat at the hotel, so cannot comment on the food other than to say that I overheard someone in the lift claiming that the hotel "does the best ever breakfast." A room service menu is provided in the hotel which has a wide range of dishes including healthy options and they cater for most special dietary requirements. Many of the menu items are available 24 hours.

I had no problems with noise in my room, it seemed fairly thick-walled, or perhaps I was lucky to be surrounded by quiet people! The bed was comfortable. I would have preferred an extra throw, since I normally sleep with thick bedding, since a circulatory problem leaves me feeling exceptionally cold, but having said that the thin-looking bedding was surprisingly warm. One small niggle was that there was a small rent on the outer surface of the duvet cover, close to the area that tucks into the bed. It was almost unnoticable, but the staff should probably have noticed it when making the bed and perhaps considered changing it for an untorn one. Also on my penultimate day I spilt a very small spot of handcream on the bed, and the bedding was not changed, although the spot was so small that I can forgive staff for not noticing it. In all other respects the room was kept exceptionally clean, including vacuuming under the desk, cleaning the mirrors, etc.

In the mornings the room staff always gave me a warm "good morning" when I passed them in the corridor, and the concierge was only too happy to help me.

I will stay again.

Room Tip: Park on level 2 if using the Britannia carpark directly under the hotel, then you will only have to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Lincs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

What you'd expect of a Crowne Paza really. Adequate rooms, good meeting facilities, superb and under used restaurant which does a great buffet breakfast. Well equipped and quiet gym. But, try to get a higher floor room as I was above the function suite and music was very loud until 1 am! Hotel has been refurbished in the past few years and they've done a great job.

Only bar is in the middle of reception - so not the place for a cosy drink - but it is well located - particularly for the Mailbox.

Be warned though - car parking (below hotel), is more than you'd expect ( think I was £60 for 3 nights...) and there is no lift access if you have cases .....so drop your cases off first!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear LincsPauline,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel and your room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the location of your room. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
The Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed in a club room, however on the sat night this was busy with no where to sit. Drinks and snacks were limited. Room was OK, but carpet was damp around the bathroom door, which made the room smell musty on entrance. Was only here for one night, and spent most of the time out of the room so this wasn't really an issue. In the morning, there were no snacks in the club room.

Wouldn't pay extra for the club room.

Also close to New Street Station and Mailbox. Use the back exit of New Street for a more direct walk to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed at the Crown Plaza with friends for one night so we could visit the Jewellery Quarter, on a bed breakfast and evening meal the staff very polite and help full the meals nice rooms clean, we had an enjoyable stay, I bought a ring from Victoria James Jewellery a must to go and visit great staff very helpfull thank you for a great stay

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
IHGCare, ihgcare at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Chaudry-J,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced with your room. I will follow up with the executive housekeeper to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you in the future.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

2nd time I've stayed here and 2nd time it's been excellant
This time we were off to a gig at the NIA and this hotel is no more than a 10 minute walk away so it makes a perfect base add to the fact it's about 10 mins walk from the main shopping area and you can see the attraction.
We got to the hotel about 11.30am and our room was already avaialble, great view from the 7th floor.
The room is what would expect from a quality hotel chain, lovely bed - great shower etc but is (like all hotels recently) let down by a dreadful lack of lighting in the room. Hotel chains currently seem to think you want to be in semi-darkeness at all times, but that's a minor point
Breakfast was excellant, but book it as part of the package as I'm not sure it's worth the £22.50 they would charge seperatly.
Looking for a nice weekend in lovely Birmingham, then this hotel will be perfect

Room Tip: Book Breakfast with the package, otherwise it's pricey
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisFarrington
peterborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

(Stayed Friday 30 March – 1 April) We arrived in Birmingham early so decided to park the car in the underground car park and visit the bar for drinks before checking in.

On arriving into the empty bar we approached the bar counter, greeted by an individual who, for some reason, was unable to serve us so shouted to a colleague who was setting up the restaurant. I asked the waitress for a wine menu but was presented with the bar tariff. Eventually I received a wine list, which is very limited in choice.

We then went to check in, no one on reception. After a short period two members of staff appeared, but then proceeded to check off room numbers so we stood around waiting! Eventually we were able to check in. when booking we requested a fridge to store medication, this request appeared to cause a slight panic amongst the staff until it was decided we could store the medication in the club lounge fridge, as we were staying in a club room. Paulo, the concierge, was most helpful and welcoming.

Our room was well equipped and well decorated. The bathroom was large and included a bath and separate shower. The club lounge was quiet when we arrived and proved to be a welcome alternative then sitting in the room or hotel lounge area however, there was a limited choice for coffee.

Breakfast was substantial and well executed by the staff. There was a good selection of cereal, fruit and traditional cooked breakfast available. The Lincolnshire sausages were of poor quality though; I come from Lincolnshire and know how the sausages should be.
We ate out on both evenings so cannot comment on the restaurant food but we did have drinks in the bar on both occasions. The bar service is poor with the staff not really knowing how execute good service. We asked for a long island ice tea which no one knew how to make, despite advertising the drink on their drinks menu. It took a manager to come to the bar to make the drink but he had to follow written instructions! On one evening we were served wine in a dirty glass with lipstick still on the glass rim. The table we sat at, although clear of glasses, had ring marks and obviously had not been wiped down after being cleared from the previous guests.

In general the rooms are of good quality but the service and staff skills could be improved, the bar and lounge seating area are very open and uninviting. I have stayed in cheaper hotels with better service.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Club room Park in the underground car park but park on level 2 as its less steps to cl...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City and also taking the time to document your review.

Sorry to know that the Bar and Reception service did not lived up to your expectations and also high standards of Crowne Plaza. This will be addressed with the departmental heads to ensure re-training takes place. In regards to our Wine list, we do have an ample choice to reflect the variety of different guests that we cater for. This is the very first comment received for wine list and we will continue to monitor any future feedback.

We do have drinks cooler in every room but that is not designed to hold medication. Glad that Paulo was helpful and an alternative was offered.

Pleased to know that you enjoyed the bedroom and bathroom facilities. Our Club Lounge is a very popular product and happy to know that your experience was very welcoming. We have Nespresso machine in Club Lounge for Coffee offering and always have at least four different types of coffee pods available.

Please be assured that your breakfast comments will be shared with the team for their hard work. Thank you for commenting on the sausage quality and this will be discussed with the Head Chef.

Once again thank you for staying and your detailed comments which are essential for our ongoing commitment to quality and attention to detail. Do hope that we will welcome you back in the near future.