“Seagulls....?”

Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
North Wales
“Seagulls....?”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Arrived for a business trip and was asked on arrival if I'd like a room facing the front or the back. I asked what the difference was and was told the back was quieter, so I chose...the back!

Meeting went fine - well catered for and very helpful staff in the business centre. Had a good meal out and retired not too late into the evening to my 'quiet' room. Didn't sleep a wink! During the day I'd noticed through the meeting room window a large derelict building opposite which had become home to a variety of seagulls. Fair enough - given our Summer this year I would probably want a break from the seaside, but I seem to need the ozone-rich sea air to knock out the sound of seagulls squawking all night and Birmigham can't deliver that!

So...I'd use tis place again: nothing wrong with it, but the back rooms aren't necessarily the quieter ones! Maybe when the derelict building is either flattened or likelier redeveloped it'll have some sort of bird deterrent applied to remove the issue, but meantime study the birdlife as you arrive and be guided by it in your choice of room!

Room Tip: Follow the review above!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We had our wedding reception at the Crowne Plaza this weekend and I feel compelled to review it on here as it was absolutely fabulous! Every thing went perfectly- the food was amazing, the service was top class. One of our guests had a gluten allergy (the starter was soup and fresh bread rolls) and as soon as the staff were made aware they brought out a beautifully presented plate of parma ham and melon. Someone else found the soup (pumpkin and chilli) too spicy and again the staff quickly came back with a bowl of tomato soup for them. They were very attentive, friendly and helpful- constantly making sure wine was flowing and the guests were well looked after. I was amazed at how they turned the room around for the evening disco- asking me in the room before the other guests were allowed in to make sure I was totally happy with the look of the room. I have to say that Ben and Peter were absolutely fantastic and so professional. Like any bride I really wanted all the guests to have a good time and was so thrilled with the feedback from them- they loved the food, the service and also alot of them stayed in the hotel and were very impressed with the breakfast the next day and also the great service they had from the staff - tea and coffee quickly refilled. We had reserved the private dining area for breakfast for our guests and this was laid out beautifully.
I would definately say that the staff made the day very special for us- I never had to worry about anything as they were on top of the entire day- a wonderful experience and would definately recommend this hotel as a classy place to have a reception with wonderful staff and beautiful modern surroundings.

1 Thank Olivia C
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The room is very spacious with 2 double beds and 4 pillows in each bed! Very comfortable bed and pillow, and rooms are quiet too! The girl at the reception at check in wasn't very friendly though - too stingy with smile! The hallway to the rooms are quite dark (very dimmed lights). Other than lack of smile of the receptionist and the not so well lit hallway, I have no complaints. Location is good too - only 5-10mins walk to New Street Train Station and the centre.

Leicester, England
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I have stayed at the Crown Plaza near the Birmingham NEC before and I can confidently say that this City Centre one is far better than the NEC Crown Plaza. The rooms are clean, staff are more helpful and polite. Breakfast was good in a very colourful restaurant/ bar.

The location is perfect, in the centre of town close to the famous Bull Ring Shopping Centre. A lot of restaurants and bars close by for great nights out. The hotel has ample underground parking although expensive it's there for when you need it. The only problem was the internet, kept cutting out. Apart from that it is nice place to chill out and to visit Birmingham.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nicely decorated so you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LizLeicester
Banbury
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Wasn't expecting much from this chain hotel but was pleasantly surprised.

The outside area/car park isnt brilliant but reception is nice along with the large modern bar/restaurant. Room size was better than expected and room had a modern feel with LCD TV/queen size bed and decent bathroom. This was let down slightly by poor TV signal and furnishings had minor chips.
Breakfast was open till 11.30 at the weekend which was a bonus and food was excellent.
Location very good for central Birmingham

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tuz73
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Typical formula 'chain' hotel, but well appointed with good facilities. Clean and tidy, with decent restaurant food
Bit pricey, but all city centre hotels are like that in UK

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 1958JCB
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This is a typical Crowne Plaza but I was very let down by a few things... the in-room internet was wired only... no wifi and it was very undependable. I had to call support several times where I was told that other folks with Mac computers were experiencing the same issues.

We didn't realize until the last day that the door actually didn't close all the way by itself so it's a good thing we were never robbed. You have to actually pull the door completely shut.

While the hotel staff was very nice, the restaurant staff was not at all knowledgeable about the menu.

The hotel has been refreshed with new carpet and everything which was great but they need to fix some very core issues and this would be a fantastic property!

Overall I'm happy with the hotel but I may elect to stay at a different hotel if I return to that area.

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room on the back side of the hotel.. TERRIBLE view.
1 Thank Danny S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear danny s,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am grateful for all the nice words about our staff and our freshly installed carpet. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by our internet service and the unsatisfactory performance in our dining area. We do work very hard to ensure that our facilities and services are superior. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera M