“worth a visit”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #26 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 August 2013

stayed here for 2 nights with my girlfriend, hotel was very nice, food and service provided was very good and hotel staff were friendly, we stayed in a club room which gave us access to the club lounge where you can access free soft drinks at anytime and alcoholic drinks from 17:30-19:30, hotel is within walking distance to the Bullring shopping centre.
overall we had a decent stay and would stay again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed one night on a business trip. This was the lowest standard Crown Plaza I have ever been to, in fact the Holiday Inn Express hotels I stayed in after on this trip were both cheaper and more professional. The hotel is rather scruffy, missing texts/parts of letters of emergency signs, elevator floor dirty and the dark, gloomy interior design preventing dirt to be seen, apparently that applied to the cleaners´eyes as well (lifts, corridors et al). Reception service was more of saying ”text book phrases” than genuine interest. Connecting to the internet tedious, once in the room one had to call reception for a manual activation with a code which pops up on the screen. Of course reception forgot, so it took me one hour to get the line, the issue was not pressing for me, but still.... Standard phrase in the reception: “Bear with us two minutes please”, nothing welcoming at all. Despite being a Priority Club member and reserving through their webpage online, check-in took long with papers having to be filled in (to be compared with Holiday Inn Express Peterborough where I was just given an envelope with everything as soon as I signed my name on a list the day after). Being in the UK I did not have big expectations on breakfast, and they were just barely met. Rather standard, with nothing extra. Garage situated below the hotel but no lift, just the choice between an awkward, narrow staircase or a detour along the streets. Room ac extremely noisy, but could be turned off as climate permitted it this time. On the positive side sleep was good, the beds suited my body and the bathroom was clean. But I will definitely choose another hotel next time if I have to visit Birmingham again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing south (looking down at roof full of gulls and building with smashed window...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Pomarinus,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased that the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the service you have received that fell below your expectations. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked last minute for a Thursday night stay as we had tickets to the theatre on our booking I had mentioned that it was our three year anniversary.When we checked in we were upgraded to a club room as it was our anniversary, nothing better than an upgrade! This entitled us to complimentary drinks and canapes in the evening but because we had a show at the theatre we ran out of time and didnt get to go to the lounge.
The room was spacious and all areas were spotless.
All staff were very friendly and courteous.
Breakfast was of a very high standard
We had a drink in the evening at the hotel bar and although very pricey at £11 for two beers it was nice and quiet.
The hotel is very at night which I was surprised by and the bed was very comfortable. Very happy and a relaxing stay

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Just checked in and if we had not paid ahead would check straight out and go to the Holiday inn down the road....
Booked a three day visit with my husband and daughter for her birthday to enjoy the city and take in Lion king as a treat.

Have never felt the need to put a less than positive review but just wanted to let others know our experience in case they have a similar scenario

48 hours before our trip my husband was called away on business however we decided I would go alone and take our daughter as a IHG PLatinum member my husband felt reassured that we would still be extended the same courtesies as if he was still with us. unfortunately this is not the case, when we checked in we were questioned asto his absence as the booking was in his name and pre-paid.

I explained and was told he should have added me to the booking details, again I explained he had barely time to pack for his flight and did not see it as a priority we had prepaid after all.

So we were given the room booked and a voucher for an in room movie when I enquired about the club room wifi etc I was told it was only available to us if he was with us!! This seemed harsh so I had to be assertive to get wifi which then had to be checked with a supervisor and finally we did receive two codes.

We went to the room and found that house keeping where still cleaning the floor so the was room service trays outside doors and laundry scattered along the corridor which surprised me as it was past 13:30 not a great first impression..

The room was clean but there is a distinct lack of storage only three small drawers in a mid height wardrobe. I was forced to hang dresses on the robe hooks by the mirror as they would be creased in the wardrobe as it has been designed for suits. the robe hooks still far too short leaving my dresses trailing onto a carpet, so if you are bringing occasion wear or long dresses please note the lack of wardrobe space and height.

The hotel is in a great location and position for the shops resturants and theatre ( which Is the primary reason we booked it) reception will provide maps and directions upon request which was very helpful and we did get extra towels and a can of pineapple juice for my daughter.

However I still feel Just a little disappointed regarding the corporate line that was taken, we had a similar experience in Venice and the Hilton did not take this stance and extended the same level of service to my family as if my husband was travelling with us so we thought Crowne plaza would do the same oh well !

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Lisa B,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sparing your very valuable time to submit a detailed feedback of your experience during your stay with us.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction you have encountered. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and we are sorry for the lapse in service during your stay.

It is our fullest intention to provide the best experience, as such, we are constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts assuring you of our best attention and service at all times. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Dhan M

Reviewed 14 August 2013

From entering this hotel to leaving after breakfast the following morning, i found staff efficient and courteous and pragmatic enough not to be fettered by branding requirements on what to say and when in what order. Guess what? Real people dealing with real people. Now that's a change in the corporate world of hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Being stranded in the middle of the Birmingham city centre road system you are almost dependent on the use of the car park beneath the hotel...at £13.50 per night!
The building, although modern is showing sign of wear and tear though the decor looks to have been updated withing the last 3-4 years and is very nice.
The bar and restaurant on the lobby floor are cavernous and unfriendly, as for that matter is the lobby area. I had a club room with the right to use the club lounge, along with, it seemed the entire hotel. Not quite the oasis of peace it was billed as. However the complimentary canapés and drinks in the evening were generous as was the Continental breakfast, more though than can be said for the room service meals which were meagre by comparison. A small soup bowl of Roquette sprinkled with Parmesan 'dust' does not, in my opinion, constitute a Rocket and Parmesan salad costing £5.50. Being in the centre on Birmingham I thought the curry would be a good option and judged by taste it certainly was, but in volume it was not worth £13.94.
I'm an Ambassador Gold member of Intercontinental Hotels Group so tend to be loyal to the brand. I booked here because of my recent experiences at the infinitely better Crowne Plaza in Leeds. I think I'll go back to the Holiday Inn at Birmingham Airport next time I stay in Birmingham

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear MDG424,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite and for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the property condition, customer service and room service. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This is my 3rd stay at the Crown Plaza Birmingham City Centre hotel and I have never been disappointed. Each time I have used Executive Club Lounge and cannot fault the service or the facilities. The hotel is ideally situated for all the city centre has offer from shopping, culture, bars and fine dinning. The hotel staff are extremely pleasant friendly and nothing is to much trouble. Thank you Michael Mason General Manager please pass on my comments to your staff as I look forward to my next visit.

I can highly recommend the BBC walk through time Birmingham as an alternative option to retail therapy.
www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/...birmingham/walk_through_time/index.shtm...
Walk details: Start point: St Martin's Church. Tourist Information Office: 0121 202 5099. Ordnance Survey: Explorer 220. Start point: OS grid ref 407250,
I would also recommend a trip for more retail shopping at Solihull. The town centre is a shoppers paradise with a cosmopolitan atmosphere.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business