“Last visit for me I think”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have used this hotel on numerous occasions over the years and almost always stay here when in B/ham. I always liked the consistency however over time I have noticed and expereinced a deteriation both in the hotel, staff and especially the food.
I stayed here last week for one night and my experience was really poor for a Crowne Plaza. I had room service meal which was poorly presented and the chips were not properly cooked and the popadom with the curry was just a soggy round piece of yuck. A couple of beers and curry and chips, £28. A bit steep I think! The breakfast has also gone downhill, bacon undercooked, hash browns overcooked.
Check out was a nightmare when the card machine was knocked off its perch by the reception member of staff and then it took well over 5 minutes to re-boot. To cap it all I have now found I have been charged twice for the meal when checking my receipt.
Anyway I have decided to call it a day on this hotel and take my business elsewhere, shame really as the location and parking are very convienient.

Room Tip: All are okay as far as being quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Newquaygreen,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham City Centre, England. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here on business recently, extremely relieved my company paid as I'd have been completely incensed if I had! While the staff were friendly and the service was good this hotel has clearly had it's day and is outrageously overpriced. It was shabby, dated and ever so slightly grubby/dirty. I stayed on a very hot day and returned from a distinctly average dinner to discover despite being on for 3 hours the air con hadn't altered the boiling hot temp in the room whatsoever. After a 10 minute wait a member of staff came up to confirm it was broken and went to check the air con in a couple of empty rooms. After re-packing and waiting about 10/20 mins I was then moved to another room. As we entered the new room I distinctly smelled smoke (I'm a non-smoker and believe all the rooms are non-smoking) it wasn't too strong so I thought fair enough someone's had a cheeky ciggie, the member of staff must have been able to smell it too but by then it was almost 11pm and I was desperate for bed so I let it go. I unpacked - again - and while doing so noticed the entire smoke detector was taped and sealed up with plastic bags! Again not necessarily the fault of the staff (assume it was the smoking guest) but still really scary had I not noticed and there had been a fire.....very dangerous and also something I'd expect the staff to be looking out for if someone has obviously been smoking in a non-smoking room. I did report it no idea if anything was done. Finally got to bed only to be kept awake all night by the ancient and extremely loud air con (it was way too hot to turn it off). I've stayed in Crown Plaza hotels in other cities many times and have had a few rotten experiences but this by far was the worst, definitely won't stay in another one if I can avoid it. Avoid at all costs and stay in the Hyatt or the Premier Inn across the road!

Room Tip: Don't - choose another hotel instead!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear MissCLM,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I certainly appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the cleanliness of the rooms has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed 5 September 2013

5 minute walk from the train station, spacious rooms and decent conference facilities. Rooms at the hotel was reasonably priced too and hotel has enough basic facilities for a comfortable value-stay.

Service-wise, while the banquet team was excellent in responding to our needs and requests, I felt the front desk personnel could improve by having some compassion in dealing with customers.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Crown Plaza in Birmingham recently. We chose the hotel for its location - near to the Symphony Hall. The location was excellent - just a short walk to the hall and to the lovely restaurants along the canal,

The hotel itself however was slightly disappointing. The beds were very comfortable but the decor in the rooms and along the corridors could do with updating. The decor is very dark and there were lots of markings on the woodwork and walls.

The staff were very friendly and polite.

On the whole we enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear Annette B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Only stayed the one Friday night, staff were welcoming and efficient.

Room was very clean and everything was functional. Really great showers with nice extras, soap, shampoo etc. clean fresh towels and a superbly comfortable bed so much so I took full advantage of the 12pm checkout but missed breakfast. My fellow guests assured me the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 2 September 2013

2 adults, 2 children (9 & 12). We were going to a concert at the Symphony Hall and this hotel seemed ideally suited - about a 4 minute walk away. The front of desk staff were very helpful and friendly. We needed to do some shopping and wanted to eat out in the evening. They supplied a map and directions. The car parking is £12/day in the car park under the hotel. You can pay for the parking when you leave in the hotel. I'd suggest you get the breakfast vouchers when you check in at £8.50, rather than £11.90 on the day. The breakfast was full English, toast, cereal, fruit, yoghurt - good choice and good quality. There was a bar and a restaurant. The restaurant does lunch but not on Saturday and Sunday.
Our room was spacious, with a good sized sofa bed. The choice of tv channels was some what limited with less than available on standard UK free-to-view. The air conditioning unit in our room was slightly noisy - not deafening but enough to stop you from going back to sleep if you woke up in the middle of the night - just turn it off. My biggest moan is the lack of free wifi. We'd just come from a Holiday Inn Express and they had free wifi - why not a more upmarket hotel like this?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed two nights in a room with two double beds. Very clean, comfy room with complimentary water and biscuits. Shower nice and powerful with nice toiletries provided. Staff were lovely, chatty and helpful. No complaints at all and would definitely return. Well done.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family