“Not the place to stay in birmingham”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #36 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 October 2013

As a business person that travels a lot, 2 or 3 nights away per week, i am always looking for new places to stay.

I decided to stay at the Crown Plaza, Birmingham, as it was close to my planned meetings the next day.

Having arrived in my room to hear the sound of the air conditioning running at what sounded like 100%, i went to turn it off. It was then when I saw the fugi growing nicely in the a/c unit. See picture below.

Needless to say i turned if off and not to be used again durning my stay!!

In general terms the rooms are basic with tired furniture. The in-room Wifi (which you get free as a 'gold elite' customer) is very poor. limited access which struggles to stay connected for more than 5 minutes at a time.

With a full day of meetings ahead, i asked if I could get access into the 'Club Lounge' to clear some emails (I thought my 100 room night a year at IHG hotels and Gold Elite status, might allow me 30 minutes access), although i was told no, I hadn't booked the right room type!! i wondered if these rooms would be any better than the room I stayed in.

Sorry to say Crown Plaza, you're not going to be on my list the next time I look to book a room in Birmingham.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 510
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear p_mclint,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel and thank you for being one of our valued Priority Club Gold Elite Members. It is good to know you found our location convenient for your activities. I regret that your stay was negatively affected by the air conditioning unit and customer service you received. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and we appreciate that you brought this matter into our attention. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into.

Again, thank you for continuous patronage and support to the hotel, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre

Reviewed 22 October 2013

As an IHG Platinum member I stay in alot of IHG properties when travelling on business and for leisure and this one is of a very good standard. Very modern rooms and facilities and excellent customer service. Would highly recommend for a business trip. The flexible rate of below £100 per night for central to a major a city was also impressive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Rob B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birningham City Centre. I am delighted to read that you find our hotel to be of a very high standard with modern rooms and excellent customer service.

I understand that as an IHG Platinum Rewards member you have stayed at a lot of IHG properties and am very pleased that you would highly recommend us and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed in the Crown Plaza because of its central location. A short walk from the train station brings you to this hotel which looks ok from the outside but rests in the shadow of the much better looking Hyatt. In reception at check in the staff were very helpful, altough a computer glitch made it difficult to print a key; a staff member escorted us to our room and within 5 minutes returned with newly printed keys. A sign said the lifts would be recieiving attention over the weekend and not working to full capacity (a bit annoying). The corridor en route to our room looked distinctly grubby and need of a lick of paint preferably not the dull dark greyish brown. The carpet looked in need of a deep clean. The room however was clean and decorated to a decent standard however the view from room 517 is depressing as it overlooks a derilict factory. The bed was especially comfortable. The room comes with all expected facilities including an Iron and board which is much more useful than the usual trouser press. The air con was a bit noisy, but was much needed as the ambient temprature throughout the hotel was a couple of degrees too high. My wife said the hair dryer was of good quality. The bathroom was nicely decorated and my wife said the bathrobe exceptionally comfortable, I can attest that the towels were as soft and fluffy as any encountered in a hotel. I booked B&B and was pleased with the standard of food served at breakfast, a good selection to suit all tastes, even the healthy. The hotel is in a fantastic location and close to the bars and restaurants in Broad Street and a short walk to the Bullring. All in all not a bad hotel but not a brilliant one either, a lick of paint in a more modern colour scheme along with replacement carpets and furniture in the foyer would make a considerable difference to the appearance, however it is always likely to be in the shadow of the Hyatt. On the plus side it is considerably cheaper than the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers have a less depressing view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Bert14440 ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I appreciate your compliments regarding our property, rooms clean and well decorated, restaurant menu exceeded your expectations and our superb location. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Checked in and paid high prices at bar. Normal for any city centre hotel.
Internet access £5.00 wired or wifi?????
How can any hotel charge this nowadays. Hugely disappointed as have several devices both business and personal.
Told that flexible payment will be introduced soon!!! No good to me!!
Currently staying here, management please message me!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Howard M,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We would like to apologize you were not satisfied with the cost of our WiFi and bar prices. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed in this Crown Plaza not long after it's refurb a few years ago and was very impressed, all shines and new. I'm from Birmingham and like to stay in town when going to shows, making a night of it. So I was looking forward to returning to it.....things have changed a bit.

Plus points - Reception staff very helpful and friendly. Room still very nice, clean and roomy. Fab bed, very comfy. Yes, air con is old and clunky and I think they missed a trick in not replacing it a few years back.

Bad points - public areas such as corridors are starting to look tired and shabby....need a lick of paint!! Bar staff.....Mrs fancied a cocktail after seeing Bruno Mars at NIA so rather than go to Broad St, we headed back to hotel. However, bar staff refused to make cocktails claiming there were only two bar staff and they didn't have time to make them, despite it being not busy in my opinion....poor service in my opinion.

Would I stay there again? Probably, got a good rate so just about got VFM but they need to look at a few things and bar staff need training

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear John W,

Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to read that you found the bar service less than satisfactory, this is not the usual high standard of guest experience that we offer. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into. I appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests and this is crucial for us to improve the services that we offer. We hope to serve you soon.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel the staff were very helpful and explained fully the ins and outs of our room, we had originally booked a standard room but the manager upgraded us! Very clean and high standard rooms, would 100% stay there again!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to read that you were very impressed by our hotel, especially our staff and the high standards of our rooms. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accomodation, so I am very pleased that we delivered these during your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was attending a conference at the ICC and needed to stay over night. Check in was straight forward and room was really good. Very modern and extremely clean. Shower was lovely. Bed very, very comfortable had a great nights sleep. All staff were very friendly, but very efficient very good staff. The only let down was the breakfast, just not cooked well enough for me and lacked taste, however that is the ONLY negative. Overall very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear amy c,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am very pleased to read that you found the bed to be very comfortable ensuring you had a great nights sleep. I am also glad that you found our staff to be friendly and efficient. I am however disappointed to read that you were not happy with our breakfast. We always strive to provide a great British breakfast and are sorry that this was not ensured on this occasion. I have passed your comments on to the Head Chef, as we always value feedback and look at ways that we can make improvements.

I look forward to your next stay with us.