“Great location and friendly staff”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here for a night whilst visiting Birmingham. Large, clean room. Nice view on a high floor. Service was very good and location is great for dining out and shopping. Price was brilliant for a room with 2 double beds!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Tarek S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to read that you were happy with the location, service and cleanliness of our rooms.

I am also glad to read that you found your stay with us to be good value for money and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here for a family short break.
Its located in a good position- right near the National Indoor Arena, and the Brindley Place restaurants, but also it is not far to get to the shopping district and about 15 minutes walk to the Bull Ring. And Cadburyland is a short drive...

I had found the hotel on the amex travel website, which had helped me narrow down hotels with pools. However, despite what amex say it doesn't have one, and to be fair, the Crowne Plaza website does not say it has one. This did not matter in the end however, and we received a warm welcome, and kids packs (drawing/colouring things) and our room on the 5th floor, which seems to be a family floor.

Everything was clean and modern, a few scuffs here and there, but with small children I'm a little more relaxed if a hotel room does not totally look like new!

Parking is underneath the hotel, and costs about 13 pounds per day. - there is no lift, so either park on level 2 which will leave you with 1 flight of stairs right up to the front door, or drive up the ramp to the front of the hotel, drop your stuff off and then go and park.

The bar service was great and quick. A problem for my young family was that the restaurant did not open until 6:30 - and we need to be eating earlier, but the hotels location meant there were plenty of nearby restaurants that we could go to - and there is 24 hour room service.

Breakfast was excellent- a buffet in comfortable surroundings and the staff very friendly and helpful

The only negative (asides my pool mistake) was that on arrival there was a large collection of empty drinks glasses outside our room.

The hotel is part of the old ATV/Central TV studio complex where programmes like "Golden Shot", "Tiswas", and maybe even some Crossroads episodes were made, but the hotel makes nothing of it, though I would guess many a celebrity has stayed there in the past. The studios are still there, vacant since 1997 and awaiting demolition and redevelopment which seems to be on hold.

It was my first experience of a Crowne Plaza, and I found it better than some more premium brands that I have been too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear rediffusion,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for taking the time to reveiw your stay with us. I am delighted to read that you found your first experience with us to be better than some more premium brands and were happy with our location and service from the bar and restaurant staff for breakfast.

I am disappointed to read that you initially booked our hotel after reading that it had a pool and to find that we do not. However, I am glad that we provided a warm welcome for you and your family and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel again in the near future.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Location is central, however can be a little noisy overnight. Club lounge pleasant - limited food during happy hour, but the staff very proactive at topping up drinks! Breakfast was ok - however it would have been expensive if not included in the rate.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear se1go,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your positive feedback on our hotel location, staff and club lounge. We pride ourselves in delivering excellent service and accommodation to our guests. I am sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced in particular with the noise. I sincerely hope this incident will not deter from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and services we offer to our guests.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed here for one night to see a gig at the O2. Because I'm a Plat member we were upgraded to a club room with access to the lounge which is always welcome. I have stayed here a few times and I must admit that this time I thought that the rooms and some of the public areas need a touch-up, nothing major but necessary nonetheless. The room we had had some of the laminate peeling off of the inside of the bathroom door, the laminate on the desktop was 'bubbled' and looks as if it will eventually become detached from the unit, and part of the wardrobe door was broken and in danger of falling off (it meant that the wardrobe light wouldn't switch off). None of these things were major but they don't give a premium image. The room itself was clean, and the bed comfortable which is what I really look for hence the the 4 stars, especially as the room rate was not particularly high.

A couple of other niggles we encountered. When we went to the club lounge for a coffee the coffee machine wasn't working and even it it had been there were no clean cups (although there were plenty of dirty ones on the tables). Later that night we went back to the lounge and by then the machine was working again and there were clean cups, (although there were still dirty cups lying around). Breakfast the next morning was good (in the club lounge) with a very helpful young lady clearing tables etc and bringing toast etc. In fact all the staff we met were very good, most of the admittedly minor issues we encountered were really maintenace things or just no-one checking the lounge frequently enough (or late enough).

One last point - the lifts are slow - very slow, allow plenty of time! All in all the hotel was OK and we would probably stay here again if the rate was right, but not at any price.

Dear Englishlee0710,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff and how helpful they were. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I have passed on your comments to the Maintenance Manager and have also made sure that the Club Lounge is checked on a regular basis.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodation and your feedback is important to us. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and take actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We booked this hotel as the location was ideal for us - it was perfect. A short walk to all of the amenities.

The room itself was to a high standard although the shower head wouldnt stay in the right position - we had to wedge it with a bottle to keep it in the right place!!

There was noise from within the hotel, people coming/going during the night/early hours and we were very close to the lift so we heard that a bit.

This was not really a problem for one night but could of been annoying if we had been staying longer.

Room Tip: Room 814 is a bit loud with the lift and other guests walking past.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Emily G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to read that you were happy with the location of the hotel. We are within walking distance of the main train station, shopping areas and the ICC.

However, I am sorry to hear that your sleep was disrupted by noise from other guests and from the lifts. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. We do have Managers on duty 24 hours and if you do have any problems, they would be happy to help.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have not stayed at the Crown Plaza for a number of years, maybe 5. WOW what a difference. The hotel has had a total transformation. Gone is the tired reception area and now there is a funky looking reception with comfy seating, great bar and breakfast room.

Check in was super quick, very friendly too.
The room - we stayed on the top floor, well worth the extra money. The room was clean, very spacious and had everything you could need. The bed was massive and so comfortable. I wish I had a bed like this at home.

We opted for the club room - which includes free acess to the lounge on the 13th floor, you get free tea, coffee and soft drinks. Free alcohol between 5:30-7:30pm. We thought this was fantastic as we did not know this was included. After running the Birmingham half marathon it was nice to be able to chill out in such a nice place.
The bathroom was also pretty special. A lovely power shower enclosed, rather than the usual shower over the bath.

The breakfast was a little dissapointing, we arrived to eat at 9:30am - breakfast closed at 10am. So the cooked food was a little stale. So I opted for goold old marmite on toast.

The only bad points for me was the breakfast- everything else was spot on!

I am looking forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 13th floor! super rooms with free access to the club lounge, well worth it!
1 Thank JaxBedfo
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to read that you were very impressed by our hotel and its transformation since your last stay with us, especially the reception area, bar and restaurant.

I am also glad to read that you were happy with the facilities and amenities within your Club room and the extra benefits of upgrading provides, such as the canape and alcoholic beverage service and the complimentary soft drinks available 24 hours.

As we always aim to provide a great British breakfast, I am disappointed to read that you were not happy with the quality of food. It is through feedback from valued guests, such as yourselves, that we can improve what we offer, hence I have passed on your comments to the Head chef and apologise that breakfast was not up to our usual high standards.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

This is really nice hotel, near to every thing, the only down side is the parking, hotel doesn't have parking space.
But overall very good hotel, I will book this hotel again.
Breakfast was lovely and staff very polite.
It is exactly in the heart of the city.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank a n
Dear a n,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to read that you found our hotel to be really nice, especially the location, breakfast and our very polite staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.