“Lovely hotel”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

The staff are super friendly and helpful.
The rooms are clean, tidy and good size.
The hotel also allows pets which is great and close to the centre of town making it easy to get around.
The breakfast is nice

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Vincesmartie,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay with us. I was delighted to read that we met your expectations on all aspects of your stay, especially with our super friendly and helpful staff, clean and spacious rooms and our nice breakfast.

I hope to welcome you back to our lovely hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wokingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We visited for the Xmas market and stayed in a family room. Staff were helpful and friendly. However the hotel however is very tired. The lifts to the rooms weren't in good shape and one broke down during our stay. Our room was fine, but again, on the tired side. The location of the hotel is excellent and very close to the city centre.

We ate in the restaurant and the food wasn't too good. The vegetables turned up stone cold. The rest of the food was OK, but difficult to be too upbeat. The Crème Brulee was runny like custard. My young son ate off the children's menu and thought it was excellent depending how much weight you want to put on my 9 year old son's verdict.

All in all, the hotel wasn't what I come to expect for a Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Lee_in_Wokingham,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving feedback about your visit. It is nice to know that our location was convenient for your needs and you found our staff to be accommodating. However, it is disappointing to know that you did not have a satisfactory experience at our restaurant. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

We hope you can give us another opportunity to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Due to communication difficulties with booking agent took me about an hour to get booked in on a Saturday night.
Communication with staff not particularly effective as English was probably second language.

Once booked in,however,hotel is excellent.
Rooms of high quality and good facilities.

In the top 3-4 hotels in Birmingham.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear simonos01,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I sincerely apologise for the difficulties that you experienced with your booking agent and for the delay this caused you at check in. I am however delighted to read that you found our hotel to be excellent with high quality rooms and good facilities.

I am also very pleased to read that you would rate us in the top 3 or 4 hotels in Birmingham and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

morlandmonk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Brilliant location, right in the heart of the city (we just parked the car and walked everywhere it was great!), though the car park is a little expensive at £13.50 per day and not included in the price! The hotel seems in reasonable order and the staff are fine, had a bit of an issue with requests not being actioned first time though in each case this was eventually resolved with profuse apologies.
Stayed on the club floor, rooms are a good size (for an English hotel!), but the aircon was a bit noisy and only warmed the room after about 24hours. Breakfast in the club lounge was excellent, a very good selection of continental fare.
If you are visiting Birmingham for shopping, shows or museums I would definitely consider this hotel, especially if they are offering a deal, otherwise it is a little expensive.

Room Tip: Stay on the club floor, better rooms and free continental breakfast.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear morlandandmonk,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you found our location to be brilliant, our Club rooms to be spacious and the complimentary breakfast in the Club lounge to be excellent.

I am however disappointed to read that you experienced some issues with staff not actioning requests on the first instance. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that this caused you and I have stressed the importance of actioning guest requests in a timely manner to all staff.

I was also sorry to read that the air conditioning unit in your room was noisy and did not work efficiently. I have passed on your comments to the maintenance manager to action accordingly.

I am glad that you would recommend our hotel to others and look forward to your stay with us.

Andalucia, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Visited Birmingham for the Christmas market for the first time. The IHG group were running a promotion that led me to book 2 of their different hotels. I arrived at this hotel for the second nights stay having really enjoyed the first night at a sister hotel just around the corner.
As soon as we walked in here there was a downbeat atmosphere. Staff were fine and helpful but simply seemed unhappy and that was the mood of the hotel.
It was fine as a base for a day. Room was secure, warm, comfortable, well furnished etc.

The stay wasn't helped by a planned power cut throughout the building the next morning. We had been given a late checkout for 1PM but the power went off at 10AM and wasn't due back on until 2PM. Our phones weren't charged, the wifi died, I couldn't check in for our flight or print off boarding passes. The cleaning staff and waitresses were all aware in advance of the power cut. They knew when it would start and end.The guests were not.
This was very poor on the part of the management.
Guests had to exit the building by a stair case that may or may not have passed an inspection, only to find the bottom door locked and having to go back up through dark corridors through moaning cleaning staff to find the second staircase. It was all very Fawlty Towers.
When you finally reach reception and they explain that they aren't able to process your credit card due to the power failure you really do feel like asking if they plan on charging you for that experience. They did!

Suffice to say when our stay was extended by a third day I immediately booked back into the first hotel and not the Crowne Plaza.
I have left a suggestion in my comment card that the Manager book in for a night at the other hotel and I hope he or she does and that they find what they need to improve this hotel.

Room Tip: The rear facing rooms have an awful view of an old rat infested factory. Try to get a front facing r...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear TrevorB,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I appreciate your candid comments regarding your experience at our property. I am pleased to note your positive feedback on our helpful staff and comfortable rooms. However, it is very regrettable that your visit was negatively affected to the power outage. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced. We want our guest to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and we are confident that the hotel management will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I will preface this review by allowing for the fact that this was probably the busiest weekend of the year for the hotel as it was Christmas market weekend.
We tried to check in at 2.20pm and had to wait for approx 20 minutes in the queue, to be told that our room was still being cleaned and that we were being given a different one. Absolutely fine, no real need to mention it though as it wasn't an upgrade or anything. We were stood at the front desk for a further 5 minutes whilst the lady confirmed that our new room was indeed clean. This was the longest wait for a check in that I've ever experiencedbut the lady was polite and friendly.
The corridors told us that it had been a busy night previously. Empty glasses outside of rooms and cleaners furiously trying to clean up. Not the best impression to give, but as I said, busy weekend.
The room was excellent. Clean, huge and great amenities and toiletries. Hairdryer, kettle etc. As you would expect. Very comfy bed indeed and not a bad TV. Seemed expensive to rent a film, if that was your intention, but we just wanted a bit of background music, so the TV channel was fine. The view was awful, a big dilapidated building with moss growing on it, but looking to the right, you could see the Birmingham eye. I didn't really stay the night for the view though.
Hotel bar was great. A little pricey as expected but not stupidly priced either. Very friendly staff here too. The bar was quite chic.
Breakfast was slow. Tea took an age to come and seating us took forever. Not the best breakfast I've ever had (black pudding was terrible) but it sustained me.
Checking out was slow. Usually you just toss your key at someone and leave, but here you need to pay for your parking, which is £13 for 24 hours. It's bang in the Centre of the city, so this price wasn't too bad. But again, slow, slow, slow! I just wanted to get home.

Overall, it could have been better. The rooms were fabulous but I think that they didn't staff the place adequately to cope with demand. But then it wasn't bad either really.

• Stayed December 2013
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear K4ty82,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. While I appreciate your positive comments, such as the room being excellent and our staff being very friendly, I truly value the negative feedback, as this allows us the opportunity to improve what we offer to future guests. Therefore I have passed on your comments to the relevant department managers to rectify and action accordingly.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to see the improvements that we have made and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Everything at this hotel was 1st class from the moment we arrived for a 2 day stay until we left.
Great location great service great room great food. Could not have asked for more and would
definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear serena t,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. As we strive to consistently provide superior service and accommodation, I am delighted to read that you found our hotel to be 1st class throughout your stay with us.

I am also pleased to read that you would definitely recommend our hotel because of our great location, great service, great room and great food and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.