“Return visit”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Returned for Valentines weekend as we had tickets for Hippodrome, Swan Lake.
Dissatisfied with check in. We got served by the person who did not look at us let alone make eye contact, and no smiles or warm welcome. When we made some enquiries she did not answer but a leaflet was thrust into our hand
"all information on this"....clearly far to busy and important to talk to us! This made us feel unimportant and unimpressed despite paying for the club class room.
In fairness to the hotel both my husband and I both observed however that the other staff on reception were smiling and welcoming.
I think training is needed to highlight the fact that reception is the first port of call. Customers are excited and expectant on arrival of their mini break, their first experience of the place is on reception....make or break time!! (although in this case I have stayed here before)

My constructive feedback is done solely to improve on this fabulous hotel. To be fair this is not solely an issue for crown plaza as complacency on receptions is rife in hotels, and I just wish that they would improve the customer service and welcome.

Warm and cosy room, clean and fresh. The beds are so comfortable and big makes for an excellent night sleep.
Bathroom robes & plenty of towels so fluffy and luxurious.

To be honest I really could have just stayed in the room the whole weekend it was so enjoyable and comfortable.

Clun lounge was its usually high standard with fabulous helpful hostesses. Friday night we were made to feel like valued guests by the hostess in club lounge, she was a credit to your hotel, well done to her on her professional and wonderful customer service.

A negative was the Car park is expensive, and yet there is no lift up to the hotel, just a staircase, I expect you could drop your bags off first if you think of it.
You'll need to allow another £25 for 2 nights, which I think is day light robbery, a discount for guests would be appreciative, it does put me off staying here next time on principle. The car park is locked overnight for security purposes which is a positive.

Continental breakfast in club lounge was its usual high standards Saturday morning, spoilt for choice, lovely friendly waitress.
We we were later going down on Sunday, again friendly helpful staff but they had run out of strawberries and croissants, just a few dry pan au chocolate left which unfortunately I don't like. So I enjoyed toast and cereal. There is continental meat, cheese and eggs which my husband thoroughly enjoyed however I do not eat meat.
Will return as the stay was enjoyable and professional, a few development/training issues on reception but would definitely recommend. Keep up the good work.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank a W
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear a W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. Whilst I appreciate your compliments about the warm and cosy rooms and high standards of our Club Lounge, I truly value your constructive feedback regarding your check in experience and I sincerely apologise that this was not reflective of our usual standards of service. Thank you for highlighting an obvious training issue and in order for me to action this appropriately I would be grateful if you could email me directly to discuss this issue further at guest.relations@cpbhamcity.com.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,146)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My boyfriend and I just went for a weekend away to Birmingham and this hotel was amazing! It's close to king street station cost us only a fiver for a taxi. The main entrance is all open and has a grandeur vibe. We had a club suite 1109 was our room and couldn't fault it. We aren't nit pickers goin round the room inspecting every crack. We walked in and both said WOW! The bathroom was lovely all facilities were in perfect order. Clean tidy and simple. We went to Jamie's restaurant and called reception for a taxi they sorted it easy and let us know, we ordered a takeaway also to our room from a local delivery room service was faultless even for silly little things such as sugar. We had breakfast in the club lounge which was fab! All healthy easy meals. We will recommend and will go back! Enjoyed very much. If you go I'd suggest go for the club suite as its worth it! :) so very big thank you to all staff!

Dear Riirii24,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and taking the to write a review. I was very pleased to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay with us and especially with your Club room and the facilities within this.

I was also happy to read that you would recommend our hotel and enjoyed your experience with us. I will definitely pass on your thanks and comments to our staff, as I am sure that this will give them all a boost.

I look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here for a short weekend break in January.

The hotel is in a great location in central Birmingham near the convention centre, the centenary square, Library of Birmingham and the city centre. Its also only a few mins walk from Gas Street Basin and other central attractions. However the immediate surroundings are in a state of flux as some older unattractive buildings are being redeveloped.

The public areas are high quality, stylish and with a good variety of services.

The rooms are excellent. Clean, comfortable, good design and well equipped.

Service was efficient and friendly in the main - however as with all Crowne Plaze I've stayed at the service in the bar on Friday/Saturday nights was very slow.

Parking is in a public car park under the hotel and is quite expensive - note although you can get your ticket validated in the hotel there is no advantage in doing so - the price is the same.

Room Tip: The executive level gives the advantage of a separate executive lounge.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear MAR-AM-UK,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was very pleased to read that you found our hotel to be excellent, with clean and comfortable rooms with efficient and friendly service from our staff.

I was also happy to read that you liked the location of our hotel as we are within walking distance of all the central attractions, such as the new library and the ICC.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Great location for city center! Amazing room view and lovely breakfast all you could want, it's on the Main Street where lots of other hotels are, multi-storey car park next door which is only £10 over night. Friendly reception and waiting staff, Lovely and modern hotel with nice bar and menu too.

Dear Becky140,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, especailly with our location, our rooms, our lovely breakfast and our friendly staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I had a two night stay here and I very much enjoyed it! Check in was fast and I was given all information necessary for my stay.
My room was spotlessly clean, spacious and comfortable. Water, tea and coffee making facilities are available, as well as a hair dryer and iron and ironing board.
I was impressed with the bathroom it to was spotless and had an abundance of towels for just me.

I needed access to wifi and this is charged at £5 per day, to be honest I think guests should have free wifi as in this day and age it's kind of necessity! Setting this up was also quite fiddly, a voucher is brought to your room with a username and password but you can only have one device connected at a time and I had to get additional help from the I.T team to set it up on my laptop which then delayed me getting my work done so not ideal really but I cannot fault the staff at all who were extremely helpful!

The first night I ordered room service this was delicious, arrived fast and was pipping hot!
The second night I ate in the restaurant and this was also great food, although not fantastic value for money but quality of food and service is brilliant!

Breakfast was also great friendly staff who seated you quickly and we're welcoming. The choice range is brilliant! Cereal, toast, fresh juice, pastries, fruit, yoghurt, smoothies, porridge, antipasti, and a full English breakfast were offered, I plumped for the full English and this was hot and delicious! I would say have tea with your breakfast as the coffee isn't great!

So all in all an extremely pleasant visit which I wouldn't mind repeating!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Zeta L,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that your room was spotlessly clean, spacious and comfortable and that you were happy with all the amenities within your room.

I am also glad to read that you were satisfied with the quality of food and the service that you received for breakfast, dinner and room service. We always aim to deliver excellent customer service and am pleased that we delivered this for you.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding our wifi charges and as a result of guest feedback, we are currently in the process of reviewing these.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We enjoyed our short break . We love the food in restaurant. The hotel's interior is modern and designed with very good taste. Staff is very friendly and helpfull especially the night staff in reception. We would love to come back. If there was a swimming pool it would be best hotel ever!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Joasiaw,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your short break with us and that you love the food in the restaurant.

I am also pleased to read that you found all of our staff to be very friendly and that you were happy with the decor of the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is a very smart hotel. Certainly a step up from Holiday Inn and we got a great rate for a Saturday night.

Situated just five minutes walk from New Street station, it is the same to the bars around Broad Street.

The staff were very efficient with checking-in and asked all the relevant questions.

The room was big, stylish and there was even a safe and fridge situated in the wardrobe.

This hotel is well worth a look.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ian C,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza. I was delighted to read that you found our hotel to be very smart and that you were happy with your check in experience. I am also glad to read that you were satisfied with your room and the facilities and amenities within it.

I look forward to your next stay with us.